Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2016, 06:06 AM

5,172 posts, read 4,943,999 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarborRat View Post
.... I am in holding mode as far as investing in them right now. ....
That's probably a smart move for investments, but if I were you I would jump on a chance to get a vacant lot that adjoins your property. That way if you ever decide to build a garagemahal you already have the land. Heck, if the price is right, I may even try to buy the house next to me so I can do just that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2016, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCliving View Post
I was waiting for someone to mention a Class Action Lawsuit against the county
to get an injunction to stop phase II until it's more practical.
I'm surprised there hasn't been one yet, either for refunds for our septic inspection we've been having all these years or for the sewer system that's not really needed.
The county says that the sewer is needed because of leaking septics polluting the waterways. If that's the case, then evidently the septic inspection program required by the county is a failure but yet we still are required to comply with it and keep paying for county permits for the inspection every five years. If it's a legitimate program and septics are passing or being repaired when needed, then there should be no reason for sewers. Me thinks we're being bamboozled.

Old 05-26-2016, 11:08 PM

1,646 posts, read 3,026,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikMal View Post
That's probably a smart move for investments, but if I were you I would jump on a chance to get a vacant lot that adjoins your property. That way if you ever decide to build a garagemahal you already have the land. Heck, if the price is right, I may even try to buy the house next to me so I can do just that.
Until I can get a solid answer on what my new taxes would be I think it would be a premature buy. The guy in charge of this project at the meeting couldn't answer if sewer taxes would be reduced on combined lots or not. Or what the deadline would be to combine. Or if they could be combined later. Nothing.....this is the representative our gov sent to the meeting?

The first adjoining lot is currently about a 30-35k value (my guess) water lot. It's not on the market, and not a prime lot by any means. I'm not paying near the going rate if it comes with a 20k sewer tax bill not yet factored into the current assessment (current tax on it is about 300/mo). And he can't sell it for 30-35k unless the buyer is an idiot or the realtor is dishonest about future taxes.

If I knew I could buy it and combine lots, and only pay a small small portion of that 20k sewer tax bill on that property, I'd make him a fair offer. A higher offer than anyone else will, but still not anywhere near full retail. He is an investor, and there is no way he will go from paying $300 a year to paying $1300 on this AND all his other vacant properties in the zone.

There will be a large scale sell off of vacant lots and they will have to drop in price. It may be a bloody vacant lot market....note: Phase I had veeerrrry few vacant lots compared to this phase II.

While you know I would love to make a garagemahal, as you put it , I am currently using these vacant lots legally and as I please, while my money is staying invested, making interest and dividends...instead of paying taxes.

So....., I might be waiting for blood in the streets . Or a great deal from the owner(s) looking to get out now before the hit.

Keep in mind I am talking about 4 connected properties....so the tax bill will just be astronomical unless the sewer taxes will be combined! I'll gladly pay for the pipe to go past each lot, but I won't pay 4x the infrastructure costs with only one small house using that infrastructure!

I'd also like to note....everyone that has tried to flip these properties in the past has lost money. HH is right, the county doesn't care about them or their owners. I don't expect them to care about me either, if I make a premature and uneducated buy.

Old 05-27-2016, 05:52 AM

3,930 posts, read 6,443,856 times
I tried to buy a vacant lot across the street. Current owner has two tax certificates against the property, and the appx $7K assessment. I offered $4K which is reasonable, he wanted $15K. I just laughed at him. He still has 2006 dreams of big values in his head.

Old 05-27-2016, 05:54 AM

3,179 posts, read 6,001,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarborRat View Post
Until I can get a solid answer on what my new taxes would be I think it would be a premature buy. The guy in charge of this project at the meeting couldn't answer if sewer taxes would be reduced on combined lots or not. Or what the deadline would be to combine. Or if they could be combined later. Nothing.....this is the representative our gov sent to the meeting?

Keep in mind I am talking about 4 connected properties....so the tax bill will just be astronomical unless the sewer taxes will be combined! I'll gladly pay for the pipe to go past each lot, but I won't pay 4x the infrastructure costs with only one small house using that infrastructure!

I'd also like to note....everyone that has tried to flip these properties in the past has lost money. HH is right, the county doesn't care about them or their owners. I don't expect them to care about me either, if I make a premature and uneducated buy.
I feel your frustration. "What will my taxes be??" is the #3 question buyers ask me, and unfortunately, nobody can answer that question, not even the county tax assessor until the next tax year. HOWEVER, not having these answers by the county officials during the "informational" meetings for you guys is B.S. They should not be allowed to move forward until EVERY unanswered question is transparent.

Old 05-27-2016, 09:19 AM

5,818 posts, read 12,626,350 times
Default They should not be allowed to move forward until EVERY unanswered question is transparent.

I heard that a few years back when a senator said pass the bill we can read it later on. Politicians suck.

Old 05-27-2016, 04:50 PM

1,646 posts, read 3,026,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN View Post
I heard that a few years back when a senator said pass the bill we can read it later on. Politicians suck.
I thought I could keep my insurance plan too......

Old 06-01-2016, 01:56 PM

14 posts, read 13,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikMal View Post
I'm surprised there hasn't been one yet, either for refunds for our septic inspection we've been having all these years or for the sewer system that's not really needed.
The county says that the sewer is needed because of leaking septics polluting the waterways. If that's the case, then evidently the septic inspection program required by the county is a failure but yet we still are required to comply with it and keep paying for county permits for the inspection every five years. If it's a legitimate program and septics are passing or being repaired when needed, then there should be no reason for sewers. Me thinks we're being bamboozled.
Funny thing is septic systems are suppose to leak. The tank holds the solids and the "gray" water drains through the leach field. So I don't see their concern ove leakage.

Also if you noticed, they make money off a permit and charge the septic sucker company to dump the load at the water treatment plant. So they are making "sewer" money even if you have a septic system.

Old 06-01-2016, 02:16 PM

14 posts, read 13,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbor Hopper View Post
I feel your frustration. "What will my taxes be??" is the #3 question buyers ask me, and unfortunately, nobody can answer that question, not even the county tax assessor until the next tax year. HOWEVER, not having these answers by the county officials during the "informational" meetings for you guys is B.S. They should not be allowed to move forward until EVERY unanswered question is transparent.

I might be wrong but we can't think of the sewer assessment as a tax. It is an assssment. $11,591 divided by how ever many years you take to pay it off (plus interest). It should not vary year to year. I thought I heard somewhere in the neighborhood of $500.00 per year for 25years.

What I would worry about is the usage fee. The gallons used will depend on your water consumption but the fees they change can change with their need for money. Water price may stay the same but as the sewer department requires raises for workers, replace equiptment, repair pumps and pipes, the can up the sewer charge at will.

Old 06-02-2016, 04:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCliving View Post
Funny thing is septic systems are suppose to leak. The tank holds the solids and the "gray" water drains through the leach field. So I don't see their concern ove leakage......
True. I guess the real concern (well, we all know the real concern is how for get more $$ in the coffers of the county) is that polluted water is reaching the canals. The water that "leaks" from a septic drain field gets cleaned by bacteria that lives in the soils, which in turn leave cleaner ground water. Kind of like the oysters of the land.
So, if the county's inspection program is working then we should have no problem and have no need for sewers. If it isn't working, then they should halt it and refund us our permit fees for a failed program.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte