U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2016, 11:39 AM

3,291 posts, read 3,485,578 times

Advertisements

good point
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2016, 02:05 PM

1,623 posts, read 1,959,019 times
Can anyone tell me what is going on here? Corner of Durant st. and Driggers ave.

Looks like a few piles of sewer pipe, or will these be new culverts?

I noticed the last few days water has been flowing like a river from swales far away....under the street in two sections with old steel culvert pipes and out into the dead end and pretty stagnant canal end behind those trees. I never noticed this runoff drainage before in 8 years. The blacktop has also been cut across like they are about to tear it up.

They say our septics are to blame for the water quality, yet the entire neighborhood seemingly dumps right into this canal (Countryman). All the fertilizer, road grease and grime, dog and other animal poop.....unfiltered by sand like our septics are, right into the canal....in a place of the canal with very little flow. Something doesn't seem right.
Attached Thumbnails
Phase II sewer question?-culverts-1-.jpg   Phase II sewer question?-culverts-2-.jpg   Phase II sewer question?-culverts-3-.jpg  

Old 08-31-2016, 02:31 PM

3,035 posts, read 4,191,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarborRat View Post
Can anyone tell me what is going on here? Corner of Durant st. and Driggers ave.

Looks like a few piles of sewer pipe, or will these be new culverts?

I noticed the last few days water has been flowing like a river from swales far away....under the street in two sections with old steel culvert pipes and out into the dead end and pretty stagnant canal end behind those trees. I never noticed this runoff drainage before in 8 years. The blacktop has also been cut across like they are about to tear it up.

They say our septics are to blame for the water quality, yet the entire neighborhood seemingly dumps right into this canal (Countryman). All the fertilizer, road grease and grime, dog and other animal poop.....unfiltered by sand like our septics are, right into the canal....in a place of the canal with very little flow. Something doesn't seem right.
That has been one of the MANY legitimate arguments for YEARS when the county says it has "extensive, comprehensive data collection pointing to water quality problems in the canals and the harbor". Almost all storm water drainage (along with it's contaminates) empty into our miles & miles of waterways. But the BOCC always turn a deaf ear on those "ridiculous" arguments. They ONLY listen to data supporting their own agenda. Period.

And those concrete pipe sections are for storm drainage. Sewer is smaller pink or purple piping with seals on one end.

Old 09-01-2016, 06:10 AM

Location: Port Charlotte, FL - Pasadena, People's Republic of Maryland
2,788 posts, read 2,525,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCliving View Post
Funny thing is.... If the vacant lot owners walk away, and no one bids on the tax sale, I believe, everyone in the county will share the cost of the lost taxes which will include the $15,000 sewer assessment for each lot.

Just like we all share the burden from the 607 pages of properties on the county tax sale list to date.
https://charlotte.lienexpress.net/certificates

So it's not just the owners of properties in the Phase II area who will be affected.
Unfortunately, that's the way property taxes, and now our poop tax, are set up. We all subsidize the system.
A house worth $350,000 will pay more in property tax than a house worth $100,000. But the reality is that it doesn't cost the county any more to provide services for the owners of the $350,000 house than it does for those with the $100,000 house. Those with more subsidize those with less, or in the case of the vacant lots who's owners walk away and sewer cost, those that are non existent.

Old 09-01-2016, 08:06 AM

1,917 posts, read 1,833,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikMal View Post
Unfortunately, that's the way property taxes, and now our poop tax, are set up. We all subsidize the system.
A house worth $350,000 will pay more in property tax than a house worth $100,000. But the reality is that it doesn't cost the county any more to provide services for the owners of the $350,000 house than it does for those with the $100,000 house. Those with more subsidize those with less, or in the case of the vacant lots who's owners walk away and sewer cost, those that are non existent.
I think the most equitable way of collecting taxes would be based on the square footage of the lot and the number of occupants.

Gary

Old 09-01-2016, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyGras View Post
I think the most equitable way of collecting taxes would be based on the square footage of the lot and the number of occupants.

Gary
I can agree on the number of occupants but does it really cost the county any more to provide services whether your lot is 10,000 sq/ft or 100,000 sq/ft? I will go along with road frontage though. The county is not the one maintaining the lot although they are maintaining the road in front of it.

Old 09-01-2016, 01:17 PM

1,917 posts, read 1,833,158 times
Quote:
I can agree on the number of occupants but does it really cost the county any more to provide services whether your lot is 10,000 sq/ft or 100,000 sq/ft? I will go along with road frontage though. The county is not the one maintaining the lot although they are maintaining the road in front of it.
I agree.... So number of occupants and roadway frontage.

Old 09-21-2016, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarborRat View Post
I see they're finally starting to work there. They've had their supplies and equipment staged there for, what, 3 or more weeks?

Old 09-21-2016, 05:39 PM

1,623 posts, read 1,959,019 times
Quote:
I see they're finally starting to work there. They've had their supplies and equipment staged there for, what, 3 or more weeks?
Yeah, they had Durant all dug up today....looks like a few more streets are next.

Old 09-22-2016, 12:06 PM

2,698 posts, read 1,662,456 times
Quote:

CHARLOTTE COUNTY GOVERNMENT

Notice of Overnight Road Closure - Durant Street at Driggers Avenue

PORT CHARLOTTE, Fla. (Sept. 21, 2016) There will be an overnight road closure on Durant Street at Driggers Avenue from Wednesday, Sept. 21, through Friday Sept. 23, 2016 as stormwater pipes are replaced at this location. Detour signs / traffic control devices will be in place to direct traffic around the construction site.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte