Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2016, 06:40 AM

252 posts, read 388,203 times

Advertisements

There is likely chance that Matthew will drift far enough west for the eye to get to our east coast,with the state about 150 miles wide here and the hurricane 400 miles wide we could get some real bad storm.Hope this doesn't happen but am watching closely and getting ready to put up shutters and curtains.

Last edited by kyjake39; 10-04-2016 at 06:58 AM.. Reason: correction
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2016, 04:02 PM

3,930 posts, read 6,439,200 times
Track is still tweaking west. Still think it will be offshore of the east coast, going across the western Bahamas.

Old 10-04-2016, 07:49 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,415,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Restrain View Post
Track is still tweaking west. Still think it will be offshore of the east coast, going across the western Bahamas.
I hope you are right.

Old 10-05-2016, 04:58 AM

5,166 posts, read 4,937,562 times
With the storm now being predicted to track further west, our winds, likewise, are predicted to be higher Thurs. & Fri. as well. Guess tomorrow I'll be lowering Ol' Glory and the Gadsden flag and probably removing the boat canvas (console cover) as well.

Old 10-05-2016, 09:18 AM

180 posts, read 276,846 times
I can find a lot about what the east coast is expecting, but what about the west coast? The last map I looked at didn't show any advisories for the gulf coast, but I would imagine you are going to be impacted. We were supposed to be traveling down this week but decided to wait out the storm.

Old 10-05-2016, 09:39 AM

1,217 posts, read 1,224,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshinewi View Post
I can find a lot about what the east coast is expecting, but what about the west coast? The last map I looked at didn't show any advisories for the gulf coast, but I would imagine you are going to be impacted. We were supposed to be traveling down this week but decided to wait out the storm.
Collier county is under a tropical storm warning according to the weather channel. Lee county and the others north of that on the west coast are not. The west coast is expecting some wind but not much rain so far. 76 percent chance of rain Fri afternoon. Typical day in SWF.

I was out this morning for groceries. No gas lines or crowds at the store. (Char. Co)

Old 10-05-2016, 10:12 AM

252 posts, read 388,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshinewi View Post
Trip would probably be OK if not using I-95

Old 10-05-2016, 10:45 AM

1,217 posts, read 1,224,834 times
Check out evacuations along the coast. Traffic will be bad as far west as Atlanta.

Charleston residents started leaving en masse yesterday so hotel rooms could be hard to get even along I75. I wouldn't travel through the south unless I had to until Monday.

Last edited by FLHfan; 10-05-2016 at 11:05 AM..

Old 10-05-2016, 11:01 AM

493 posts, read 636,566 times
This from the national weather service as of noon today. I like what they're saying for our area. Hope they're right. Mark

POTENTIAL IMPACTS -----------------
* WIND: PROTECT AGAINST DANGEROUS WIND HAVING POSSIBLE SIGNIFICANT IMPACTS ACROSS HIGHLANDS, POLK, AND SUMTER COUNTIES. POTENTIAL IMPACTS IN THIS AREA INCLUDE: - SOME DAMAGE TO ROOFING AND SIDING MATERIALS, ALONG WITH DAMAGE TO PORCHES, AWNINGS, CARPORTS, AND SHEDS. A FEW BUILDINGS EXPERIENCING WINDOW, DOOR, AND GARAGE DOOR FAILURES. MOBILE HOMES DAMAGED, ESPECIALLY IF UNANCHORED. UNSECURED LIGHTWEIGHT OBJECTS BECOME DANGEROUS PROJECTILES. - SEVERAL LARGE TREES SNAPPED OR UPROOTED, BUT WITH GREATER NUMBERS IN PLACES WHERE TREES ARE SHALLOW ROOTED. SEVERAL FENCES AND ROADWAY SIGNS BLOWN OVER. - SOME ROADS IMPASSABLE FROM LARGE DEBRIS, AND MORE WITHIN URBAN OR HEAVILY WOODED PLACES. A FEW BRIDGES, CAUSEWAYS, AND ACCESS ROUTES IMPASSABLE. - SCATTERED POWER AND COMMUNICATIONS OUTAGES, BUT MORE PREVALENT IN AREAS WITH ABOVE GROUND LINES.
* FLOODING RAIN: PROTECT AGAINST LOCALLY HAZARDOUS RAINFALL AND FLOODING HAVING POSSIBLE LIMITED IMPACTS ACROSS POLK AND HIGHLANDS COUNTIES. POTENTIAL IMPACTS INCLUDE: - LOCALIZED RAINFALL FLOODING MAY PROMPT A FEW EVACUATIONS. - RIVERS AND TRIBUTARIES MAY QUICKLY RISE WITH SWIFTER CURRENTS. SMALL STREAMS, CREEKS, CANALS, AND DITCHES MAY BECOME SWOLLEN AND OVERFLOW IN SPOTS. - FLOOD WATERS CAN ENTER A FEW STRUCTURES, ESPECIALLY IN USUALLY VULNERABLE SPOTS. A FEW PLACES WHERE RAPID PONDING OF WATER OCCURS AT UNDERPASSES, LOW-LYING SPOTS, AND POOR DRAINAGE AREAS. SEVERAL STORM DRAINS AND RETENTION PONDS BECOME NEAR-FULL AND BEGIN TO OVERFLOW. SOME BRIEF ROAD AND BRIDGE CLOSURES.
ELSEWHERE ACROSS WEST CENTRAL AND SOUTHWEST FLORIDA, LITTLE TO NO IMPACT IS ANTICIPATED.
* TORNADOES: LITTLE TO NO IMPACTS ARE ANTICIPATED AT THIS TIME ACROSS WEST CENTRAL AND SOUTHWEST FLOR

Old 10-05-2016, 01:03 PM

2,432 posts, read 2,688,785 times
We're hoping it doesn't track anymore west either, we have only been moved in for 3 months now so hoping to not go through a bad hurricane already. We have to go grocery shopping today anyways and will pick up some water and supplies just to be safe. I wish we had hurricane shutters...

This may sound silly but.. What do people who work and conditions get bad do? Does everything basically close down and it's not expected you show up?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte