U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2016, 05:21 AM

859 posts, read 443,895 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mktobob View Post
I was very impressed with the coverage I received through Progressive. They sent Florida Marine Works who did a great job pulling my boat off a sand bar in the Myakka River last summer. I just signed my name and Progressive paid the $726 bill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2016, 06:13 AM

5,237 posts, read 9,785,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by double6's View Post
People should be aware that towing boats and assistance is very expensive. I called for a battery jump a few years back and the cost was $392. I have Boat US insurance for about 25/30 years and it was covered.

Old 06-10-2016, 06:34 AM

704 posts, read 501,724 times
My only problem with Progressive is that they don't tow you back to your home Marina which leaves you with the problem of getting back to your car and possibly a mechanic you know and trust.

Old 06-10-2016, 07:16 AM

1,540 posts, read 472,210 times
I've been boating for over 50 years and have had both Sea Tow and Towboat US. Both of them do a great job and if you only use their service once in every 7 or 8 years, you break even. As mentioned, the AVERAGE tow is about $700 and if you really get stuck or have to be towed far, it gets even worse.

There are minor differences between the two companies, like, Sea Tow covers your boat, whereas Towboat US covers YOU. So, if you have more than one boat, or are on a friends boat (and you are captain that day), they still cover you. Sea Tow only covers that one boat.

Tow Boat US also just had a price reduction, I think it is now $129 a year plus the $24 West Marine membership fee. I take the West Marine membership even when I do not have the coverage with them anyway. My points add up and I get a lot of money in rewards back in the mail. Tow Boat US also will come to your dock and take the boat to a marina for repairs, not sure if Sea Tow does that now.

One thing to check is how much coverage each one has in your particular area. There is something about them not being North of Burnt Store Marina as I recall, but I could be wrong on that, so check.

But, if you have a boat, do not even think about if you should have towing coverage or not.....it is not a matter of IF you will need help, but WHEN. BTW, some people think that the towing coverage on their regular policy is enough, IT IS NOT. Check what and where they will pay and you will see it has holes in it.

Old 06-10-2016, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMak70 View Post
I've been boating for over 50 years and have had both Sea Tow and Towboat US. Both of them do a great job and if you only use their service once in every 7 or 8 years, you break even. As mentioned, the AVERAGE tow is about $700 and if you really get stuck or have to be towed far, it gets even worse.

There are minor differences between the two companies, like, Sea Tow covers your boat, whereas Towboat US covers YOU. So, if you have more than one boat, or are on a friends boat (and you are captain that day), they still cover you. Sea Tow only covers that one boat.

Tow Boat US also just had a price reduction, I think it is now $129 a year plus the $24 West Marine membership fee. I take the West Marine membership even when I do not have the coverage with them anyway. My points add up and I get a lot of money in rewards back in the mail. Tow Boat US also will come to your dock and take the boat to a marina for repairs, not sure if Sea Tow does that now.

One thing to check is how much coverage each one has in your particular area. There is something about them not being North of Burnt Store Marina as I recall, but I could be wrong on that, so check.

But, if you have a boat, do not even think about if you should have towing coverage or not.....it is not a matter of IF you will need help, but WHEN. BTW, some people think that the towing coverage on their regular policy is enough, IT IS NOT. Check what and where they will pay and you will see it has holes in it.
From what I gather by your post Boat US is the best way to go. I am totally unfamiliar with West Marine. Nevermind, Googled West Marine.

Last edited by Old Gal; 06-10-2016 at 08:04 AM..

Old 06-10-2016, 07:59 AM

2,245 posts, read 1,405,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gal View Post
From what I gather by your post Boat US is the best way to go. I am totally unfamiliar with West Marine.
Boat US has different levels of towing so you can pick what best suits your needs. West Marine is a boating supply store.

Old 06-10-2016, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaRay35 View Post
Boat US has different levels of towing so you can pick what best suits your needs. West Marine is a boating supply store.
Thanks.

Old 06-10-2016, 08:29 AM

Just wanted to thank everyone who has responded to all of my questions. Please bear with me since we have never owned a boat. Actually we still don't - yet. We are getting much closer though.

Old 06-10-2016, 09:00 AM

3,003 posts, read 4,060,665 times
FYI, BoatUS used to be a competing boat supply store (and I LOVED it!). Then West Marine bought them out. They still kept the BoatUS program, including towing services. I've been a member since '97 and they are BIG boater advocates when the government wants to do stupid things relating to boating rules & regs.

Old 06-10-2016, 09:08 AM

1,617 posts, read 1,874,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbor Hopper View Post
...they are BIG boater advocates when the government wants to do stupid things relating to boating rules & regs.

Very true, I like that even though I might not ever need a tow, I know that some of my membership money is being used to fight for my rights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or