U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2016, 03:29 PM

747 posts, read 703,895 times

Advertisements

reminds me of brandon lee's (bruce lee's son) tragic death some years back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2016, 04:40 PM

2,749 posts, read 1,731,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJNE17 View Post
reminds me of brandon lee's (bruce lee's son) tragic death some years back.
I remembered that it involved blanks with Lee but reading this was an education.

In the scene in which Lee was accidentally shot, Lee's character walks into his apartment and discovers his fiancée being beaten and raped by thugs. Actor Michael Massee's character fires a .44 Magnum revolver at Lee as he walks into the room.[8] A previous scene using the same gun had called for inert dummy cartridges fitted with bullets (but no powder or primer) to be loaded in the revolver for a close-up scene; for film scenes which utilize a revolver (where the bullets are visible from the front) and do not require the gun to actually be fired, dummy cartridges provide the realistic appearance of actual rounds. Instead of purchasing commercial dummy cartridges, the film's prop crew created their own by pulling the bullets from live rounds, dumping the powder charge then reinserting the bullets. However, they unknowingly or unintentionally left the live primer in place at the rear of the cartridge. At some point during filming the revolver was apparently discharged with one of these improperly-deactivated cartridges in the chamber, setting off the primer with enough force to drive the bullet partway into the barrel, where it became stuck (a condition known as a squib load). The prop crew either failed to notice this or failed to recognize the significance of this issue.

In the fatal scene, which called for the revolver to be actually fired at Lee from a distance of 3.6 - 4.5 meters (12–15 feet), the dummy cartridges were exchanged with blank rounds, which feature a live powder charge and primer, but no bullet, thus allowing the gun to be fired without the risk of an actual projectile. But since the bullet from the dummy round was already trapped in the barrel, this caused the .44 Magnum bullet to be fired out of the barrel with virtually the same force as if the gun had been loaded with a live round, and it struck Lee in the abdomen, mortally wounding him.

Old 08-12-2016, 05:11 PM

747 posts, read 703,895 times
^^^man.....that's bad luck and accident all around.

hence another good reason to either use plastic guns and go "pew! pew!" or heck, even use cap guns for that matter.

that's my armchair quarterbacking $0.02.

(and that's speaking as someone with long family history of law enforcement and military, an insanely hard job that few can appreciate and fully understand. i can't even begin to do so, since i'm not in it day to day. i only hear/heard the stories.)

Old 08-16-2016, 10:34 AM

2,749 posts, read 1,731,500 times
Default Funeral services Tuesday Afternoon

PUNTA GORDA -
It has been almost a week since 73-year-old Mary Knowlton was shot and killed by a Punta Gorda police officer during a citizens police academy class.

Family and friends are expected to say their last goodbyes to the longtime librarian at the First United Methodist Church Tuesday afternoon.

The family said it has forgiven officer Lee Coel, who pulled the trigger with live ammunition instead of blanks.

"We're gonna get through this and try to make the best of it and go on with a positive attitude and care about people," said her husband, Gary Knowlton.

The viewing will begin at 1 p.m. followed by her funeral service at 2 p.m.

Meanwhile, Coel remains on administrative leave pending an investigation into the shooting by the Florida Department of Law Enforcement.

Old 08-16-2016, 02:17 PM

3,926 posts, read 4,382,609 times
We were by there today on business. Overflow crowd from what we saw.

Old 08-25-2016, 10:51 PM

186 posts, read 140,469 times
Here's the latest from the Police Chief. Is there any news here?

Punta Gorda police chief announces department changes in response to academy shooting - Fox 4 Now WFTX Fort Myers/Cape Coral

Old 08-26-2016, 05:07 AM

2,321 posts, read 1,562,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliekristine629 View Post
Just wondering why you would think someone here would have more information than the chief? I'm sure they will produce the "facts" once the investigation is completed, anything else is hearsay.

Old 08-26-2016, 06:31 AM

2,200 posts, read 1,441,047 times
My take on Jk629s post was her asking if there was any new 'news' in the interview with the police chief video/article she posted...

Old 08-26-2016, 08:53 AM

186 posts, read 140,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seafood Junky View Post
My take on Jk629s post was her asking if there was any new 'news' in the interview with the police chief video/article she posted...
Yes, I wanted to know if the Chief relayed any more details to the reporter. In this story, he seems to acknowledge that:
Punta Gorda police chief breaks silence after tragic shooting - NBC-2.com WBBH News for Fort Myers, Cape Coral & Naples, Florida

Old 08-26-2016, 09:51 AM

725 posts, read 250,279 times
I'm a newbie to the forum but I've been in PG about a year. It's been a rough year for the PG police.

I saw the dog gnawing video of the cop involved in this incident. The one I saw started as soon as the biker came into the cop's camera view. I sent the link to a buddy of mine who is a retired Chicago Sgt. He said odds are the two had a history and letting the dog chomp on the guy for that long was probably intended to give the guy a lesson. But he said the cop's performance was lame. Knowing the camera was on him, he should have done a better job of CYA.

But this thing with the shooting, my buddy said that cop needs to find another job. Maybe as a greeter at Wal-Mart. I tend to agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or