Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2016, 11:36 AM

186 posts, read 213,163 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baltimore Coppper View Post
How can you respond to someone who is obviously an expert on police policy, procedure and tactics. Everyone is entitled to an opinion but you know what they say about opinions?
I get tired of all the social justice warriors complaining about the police but they're always the ones cowering behind their locked doors screaming "what took you so long to get here?" This was a tragic accident for sure, but don't rehash old news and try to drag a man you know nothing about down with your "opinions" about policing. I'm sure that he, along with the victim's family are both devastated. None of those involved lives will ever be the same.
My department suffered an accidental shooting this week at our qualification range. First one in 147 years. Accidents can happen even with a much larger metropolitan police force (22nd largest in the U.S.). Let the experts do their jobs before you start pointing fingers
I'm sorry BC for the loss of you officer.

Nothing you said changes facts at hand. Miramar, Florida let the officer go. He was hired in PG, his history notwithstanding. That falls on the Chief. This officer's judgement in his k-9 use caused harm. Recognizing this, the department changed policy in the authorized release of a K-9. Evidently, the police chief agrees with me.

The fact is the officer didn't pre check the gun chamber. Fact also remains that the department chose to invest the academy, while cutting cost on a simulation only weapon.

As for your comment that only police experts know enough to comment, I can't disagree enough. I'm a tax payer, registered voter and full time resident in Punta Gorda. Civilians, being the mayor and city council, oversee the police and fire department. Mere civilians also run the military. Many communities have citizens police boards to watch over the police departments. There are valid reasons to do so.

As for my cowering, you proffer an opinion in the absence of facts. I attended the county citizens police academy for 10 weeks this year. It was a 30 hour commitment so I could better understand blue lives. I also did the "shoot, don't shoot" simulation. I get that it's tough being a cop.

If you wish to have the respect of the public, you'll need to be willing to discuss facts and not dismiss others outright.

Signed by a proud social justice warrior princess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2016, 11:39 AM

2,837 posts, read 2,694,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baltimore Coppper View Post
How can you respond to someone who is obviously an expert on police policy, procedure and tactics.
Chicago training sneers at little PG management.

Last edited by the searchers; 08-11-2016 at 12:14 PM..

Old 08-11-2016, 11:45 AM

747 posts, read 1,011,794 times
Off topic: Eric Fanning is running the Army straight into the ground. Probably as designed & intended by the current administration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliekristine629 View Post
Mere civilians also run the military.

Old 08-11-2016, 12:07 PM

493 posts, read 636,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyGras View Post
I'm going to stay out of this one and let everyone discuss the pros and cons of open discussion.

This will be fun to watch...LOL
Right again Gary!

Old 08-11-2016, 12:12 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,822,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the searchers View Post
Chicago training shines forever.
Did Xena come back on TV

Old 08-11-2016, 12:17 PM

2,837 posts, read 2,694,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaRay35 View Post
Did Xena come back on TV
Is Xena a proud social justice warrior princess?

Old 08-11-2016, 01:56 PM

2,202 posts, read 2,303,125 times
Heres how my mind works:

When I heard about this tragedy, I thought; crime of passion.

Old 08-11-2016, 03:36 PM

9 posts, read 17,651 times
Quote:

Nothing you said changes facts at hand. Miramar, Florida let the officer go. He was hired in PG, his history notwithstanding. That falls on the Chief. This officer's judgement in his k-9 use caused harm. Recognizing this, the department changed policy in the authorized release of a K-9. Evidently, the police chief agrees with me.

The fact is the officer didn't pre check the gun chamber. Fact also remains that the department chose to invest the academy, while cutting cost on a simulation only weapon.

As for your comment that only police experts know enough to comment, I can't disagree enough. I'm a tax payer, registered voter and full time resident in Punta Gorda. Civilians, being the mayor and city council, oversee the police and fire department. Mere civilians also run the military. Many communities have citizens police boards to watch over the police departments. There are valid reasons to do so.

As for my cowering, you proffer an opinion in the absence of facts. I attended the county citizens police academy for 10 weeks this year. It was a 30 hour commitment so I could better understand blue lives. I also did the "shoot, don't shoot" simulation. I get that it's tough being a cop.

If you wish to have the respect of the public, you'll need to be willing to discuss facts and not dismiss others outright.

I agree. Look, there are good cops and bad cops. My experiences have been overwhelmingly positive.
But this guy was fired from his last police job for excessive force (that's pretty unusual for police), and the video from the K-9 incident looks pretty bad. Now this.

I could be wrong, but this guy doesn't seem like he's in the right line of work.

Old 08-11-2016, 05:41 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,822,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
I agree. Look, there are good cops and bad cops. My experiences have been overwhelmingly positive.
But this guy was fired from his last police job for excessive force (that's pretty unusual for police), and the video from the K-9 incident looks pretty bad. Now this.

I could be wrong, but this guy doesn't seem like he's in the right line of work.
There are good and bad in everything. Remember with the K-9 incident there was an independent investigation with no departmental charges, yes protocol was changed, but how else to improve if not by change.
I don't believe the chief of PGPD would allow a reckless officer to participate in a civilian program.
Lastly, excessive force, Baltimore PD almost hung multiple officers due to reckless prosecution, this may have been the case here and the officer lost. So before everyone jumps to conclusions let the facts come out through a proper investigation. As the chief stated today in the press conference, there are multiple false informations being passed around.

Old 08-11-2016, 06:03 PM

51 posts, read 65,872 times
Quote:

With all due (?) Respect, Mam (or Social Justice Warrior Princess), you don't know the facts just because you attended (a) citizens police academy course. Even people attending "the" class don't know all the facts. In my opinion, I think you need to just sit tight until the investigation is complete and then feel free to share your expertise! Just sayin'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte