Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2016, 08:16 PM

3,133 posts, read 2,256,609 times

Advertisements

Having read some older posts about this topic I'd like to know from the locals who your provider is and if you're pleased with the services provided. What speeds are your providers offering? I'm assuming costs are high like everyplace these days? Where I live in Ohio,I have TWC phone,Internet,and basic cable(78 channels) for almost $200.00 a month,which I think is outrageous but I have no other options here.

What's your story?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2016, 09:55 PM

1,917 posts, read 2,630,289 times
I currently have Comcast and basic cable $100 per month

I never have an issues with the service since I had someone out who replaced every connection between the pole and the house 3 years ago.

At some point I will be dropping the cable and using an antenna, Netflix and Amazon prime
Gary

Old 08-30-2016, 08:15 AM

2,202 posts, read 2,303,125 times
Comcast subscriber. Performance is fine for two or more working online, streaming, whatever..

I also had patch cables and connectors replaced by Comcast. We were having trouble with the music channels not coming in. After the new cables and connectors, all is well.

Cables, connectors and splitters tend to degrade over time.

Old 08-30-2016, 11:56 AM

41 posts, read 121,516 times
I recently moved to Punta Gorda, and was told by Comcast that they couldn't provide me service, which I think is incorrect but in any event my other option was CenturyLink. They did have fiber in the neighborhood, so I went with them. I get a pretty solid 40 mbs down via wireless, so far pretty pleased, but it's only been a month! I see folks complaining about billing and customer service, so well see how that goes going forward. The installer was very good, and the few interactions I had with customer service were reasonable.

One issue was that they only had one phone jack installed in my newly built home, which apparently isn't unusual, and I couldn't use that jack, since I guess it was not usable by CenturyLink, so we needed to put the phone near the fiber entry point, which isn't really a convenient spot. They also had to install another box along with the modem that would allow us to use the cable coax fittings for our TV, otherwise we had to put the TV at the fiber entry point as well which we didn't want to do.

Scott

Old 08-30-2016, 02:12 PM

So it sounds like Comcast and Century Link are my choices. That gives me something to go on as I research who I want to go with. I plan to call both of them and discuss their plans.

Thanks everyone.

Old 08-31-2016, 02:34 PM

296 posts, read 319,267 times
Had comcrap when we first moved here...service was fine, billing was high and always changing. Switched to Directv for tv and its been nothing but great, rarely if ever out because of storms, and if so only for a short time. Billing is a lot better.

Cable is Century link, great service and speed is equally fine.

I do not combine billing, its easier for me.

Old 08-31-2016, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetdoc3037 View Post
Had comcrap when we first moved here...service was fine, billing was high and always changing. Switched to Directv for tv and its been nothing but great, rarely if ever out because of storms, and if so only for a short time. Billing is a lot better.

Cable is Century link, great service and speed is equally fine.

I do not combine billing, its easier for me.
I hadn't considered satellite TV but if Direct TV has an acceptable package price that works for me. I'm more concerned about the cable providers speed and service than TV.

Old 08-31-2016, 06:05 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,822,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron61 View Post
I hadn't considered satellite TV but if Direct TV has an acceptable package price that works for me. I'm more concerned about the cable providers speed and service than TV.
If you are looking for speed in PG, Comcrap by far is the fastest. Centurylink will tell you inflated speeds,but once you speed test you will find out the truth. Customer service with Comcrap sucks though.

Old 08-31-2016, 06:12 PM

Google is working on 1 gigabit wireless service and is already testing in Kansas City, once that happens the cable companies are dead.

Gary

Old 08-31-2016, 06:24 PM

It makes me sick when I see how high our bills are for the crappy service we get
Attached Thumbnails
PG high speed internet-image.jpeg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte