U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2016, 01:23 PM

89 posts, read 90,141 times

Advertisements

Good afternoon everyone,
Well, where to start.
Last Spring the city of Port Charlotte, decided to upgrade (?) our fordham waterway. I live 3 houses down from Peachland Street, and I am on the Fordham waterway.

When we received the tail end of Hurricane Hermine, we got a lot of water, and guess what? The brand spanking new, expensive waterway will not let enough water through. Therefore my backyard is flooded, and our beautiful waterside deck is under water, and the road in front of our house flooded.

Then it kind of receded after 2 days, then we received the 4.5 inches last night.
OMG, even worse, I tell you, if a hurricane comes through, our houses will be flooded for sure.The road was under 4 to 5 inches of water. We called the sheriff, he said too bad, we ran out of road closed signs. Therefore, cars attempting to go through became flooded, and stuck.

I have contacted Charlotte County public works, and the Commissioner for our area.
From how I understand this, Port Charlotte is saying it may be North Port's issue, because of letting water out? I sure don't know enough about these waterways, and shouldn't HAVE to.
The someone else in public office is saying it's suppose to be a trickle effect, so it won't flood Midway after it is 4 lanes, or the homes down in that area.

SO, let us flood?
This problem according to our neighbors that have lived here for 7 years or more said this problem was never a problem until they installed the brand spanking new, expensive upgrade!

I am so pissed right now, I could spit.

IF anyone has any suggestions, comments? Let em fly.

Thanks,
Diane
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2016, 02:11 PM

2,245 posts, read 1,401,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooselips13 View Post
Good afternoon everyone,
Well, where to start.
Last Spring the city of Port Charlotte, decided to upgrade (?) our fordham waterway. I live 3 houses down from Peachland Street, and I am on the Fordham waterway.

When we received the tail end of Hurricane Hermine, we got a lot of water, and guess what? The brand spanking new, expensive waterway will not let enough water through. Therefore my backyard is flooded, and our beautiful waterside deck is under water, and the road in front of our house flooded.

Then it kind of receded after 2 days, then we received the 4.5 inches last night.
OMG, even worse, I tell you, if a hurricane comes through, our houses will be flooded for sure.The road was under 4 to 5 inches of water. We called the sheriff, he said too bad, we ran out of road closed signs. Therefore, cars attempting to go through became flooded, and stuck.

I have contacted Charlotte County public works, and the Commissioner for our area.
From how I understand this, Port Charlotte is saying it may be North Port's issue, because of letting water out? I sure don't know enough about these waterways, and shouldn't HAVE to.
The someone else in public office is saying it's suppose to be a trickle effect, so it won't flood Midway after it is 4 lanes, or the homes down in that area.

SO, let us flood?
This problem according to our neighbors that have lived here for 7 years or more said this problem was never a problem until they installed the brand spanking new, expensive upgrade!

I am so pissed right now, I could spit.

IF anyone has any suggestions, comments? Let em fly.

Thanks,
Diane
Keep calling mayors office, if that gets nowhere try calling the local news stations.

Old 09-06-2016, 02:44 PM

Location: Port Charlotte, FL - Pasadena, People's Republic of Maryland
2,762 posts, read 2,412,228 times
Document, document, document! Photos and video work best. Call the County Commissioners and the news. Don't forget to encourage your neighbors to do the same. I'd suggest going to the next public Commissioners' meeting as well. The squeaky wheel gets the grease, but the squeak needs to reach the right ears! Complaints here (not to say you're complaining...I understand you're looking for guidance) and over the gossip fence aren't the right ears.

Old 09-06-2016, 07:05 PM

89 posts, read 90,141 times
I contacted the city commissioner and had everyone in the neighborhood contact her too.
Also called WINK news call for action.
They suggested the Commissioner, and gave me the name of the MGR. of public works.

Have called the Charlotte county public works a zillion times,
and left pictures on the Charlotte County.gov website.

and the bad news is...it's raining again.

Old 09-07-2016, 10:40 AM

2,200 posts, read 1,332,298 times
It should not take two days to recede from the roadway.

Old 09-13-2016, 09:39 AM

1 posts, read 542 times
Default Fordham Flooding

I too live in section 15 and was appalled at the flooding, which had never occurred before. I called the county public works, engineering and sent Commissioner Duffy and email.

No response from anyone.

I am now in the process of doing a public records request for all emails, memorandums and minutes from meetings concerning the waterway, and storm water control structure 5.11.

I urge all of you to continue to pursue this matter. If we had a serious storm we could have had water in our homes.

Old 09-13-2016, 12:46 PM

3,894 posts, read 7,753,119 times
I live near Bingham and Harbor just a few blocks from Sec 15. Bingham Ave was flooded too. It was like a river flowing down my street. I have lived in this home for 8 years and have never seen it like that. I think it was just because we had so much rain dumped on us in a short period of time it had nowhere to go. The street flooded at dusk and was receded when we got up in the morning. I thank heaven that our house has two extra courses of block, so our house is higher than most. Our problem is the vacant lots around us where the ditches are not dug out so the water stops and does not flow properly. It actually goes uphill when it gets to our house, so the water puddles up.

There were many, many locations in Port Charlotte and North Port that had flooded streets that were never flooded before. So it was either just a massive amount of rain or there is another issue.

Flooding in Charlotte County and contact information: Emergency Management
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or