U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2016, 12:56 PM

747 posts, read 704,157 times

Advertisements

Is your permanent residence FL?

If so, that would explain why you got ticket.

If it's not (you spend more than 6 months outside of FL) sounds like you could fight that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post
Moved from CT to FL - but kept the plates as well as my license.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2016, 01:18 PM

3,556 posts, read 2,317,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJNE17 View Post
Is your permanent residence FL?

If so, that would explain why you got ticket.

If it's not (you spend more than 6 months outside of FL) sounds like you could fight that.
This was years ago, I paid those tickets. I did permanently move.

I did end up moving back though, screw FL :-)

Old 10-18-2016, 01:21 PM

CT ain't any better! Taxes, taxes and more taxes, high cost of living, and lousy cold weather. What's not to like?

Quote:
This was years ago, I paid those tickets. I did permanently move.

I did end up moving back though, screw FL :-)

Old 10-18-2016, 01:55 PM

3,556 posts, read 2,317,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJNE17 View Post
CT ain't any better! Taxes, taxes and more taxes, high cost of living, and lousy cold weather. What's not to like?
Paid for by my higher wages. The math (for me) showed an increase in QOL and overall income in CT as opposed to FL.

You and I might have a different idea of what "cold" is. Accepting the idea that my blood will "thin out" and get used to the heat was complete nonsense. My ideal temp is closer to 66F. Temps over 80 are pretty hot for me, and that's WITHOUT humidity added in. I will walk outside with a damn t-shirt and shorts in anything over 45F.

It took 5 years for me to figure it out I guess, but FL and states as warm as FL are not places I feel happy in. Also, the pizza sucks

Old 10-18-2016, 02:12 PM

2,749 posts, read 1,732,234 times
Quote:
the pizza sucks :d

+1

Old 10-18-2016, 02:34 PM

Fair enough.

Quote:
Paid for by my higher wages. The math (for me) showed an increase in QOL and overall income in CT as opposed to FL.

You and I might have a different idea of what "cold" is. Accepting the idea that my blood will "thin out" and get used to the heat was complete nonsense. My ideal temp is closer to 66F. Temps over 80 are pretty hot for me, and that's WITHOUT humidity added in. I will walk outside with a damn t-shirt and shorts in anything over 45F.

It took 5 years for me to figure it out I guess, but FL and states as warm as FL are not places I feel happy in. Also, the pizza sucks

Old 10-18-2016, 03:15 PM

2,321 posts, read 1,562,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the searchers View Post
+1
x2

Old 10-19-2016, 04:39 AM

281 posts, read 265,362 times
Vehicle registration and insurance is a problem for many people with 2 homes. Seems every state has different rules and every insurance co. seems different also.

As an example, I tried to register a car in my home state. But you have to show proof of that state insurance to get it. Insurance co. said no to that state as the car spent more time in the state it was currently registered in. I then asked about the cars I use in Fla. for 6 months a year. Insurance co. said they definitely need to be insured in Fla. or I would be breaking the rules of my contract with them. Problem is that if I insure in Fla. my state registration will be taken away for not having insurance. If I would register in Fla. I would be breaking the law in my home state as soon as the cars are there for 30 days.

No way to be in the right unless you leave a car in Fla. with Fla. registration and insurance. Then have other vehicles in your home state with registration and insurance there.
Or do like many others are doing. Setup a Montana LLC. have all your vehicles owned by that entity. Rent them back for $1. No inspection and low insurance. Then register any trailers you have in Maine.

Old 10-19-2016, 05:28 AM

Location: Port Charlotte, FL - Pasadena, People's Republic of Maryland
2,809 posts, read 2,592,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by az99 View Post
Vehicle registration and insurance is a problem for many people with 2 homes. ....
I have two vehicles titled, registered, and insured in FL (my official residence) and two titled, registered, and insured in Maryland (where I spend about 5 months out of the year). No problems except it's a PITA shopping for insurance. There is no way to have all vehicles put on the same account.

Old 10-19-2016, 06:30 AM

Not sure I get the LLC angle. Can you explain more? My insurer requires the vehicle be insured where it's stored. How would registering it in a Montana LLC (or Delaware for that matter) be of benefit? And then there's the niggling problem of tying umbrella liability to vehicle coverage which, coming full circle, has to be written where it's stored. Luckily my northeast agent is licensed in FL (and the carrier writes policies there too), so no problems with that other than cost. Higher in FL, of all things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by az99 View Post
Vehicle registration and insurance is a problem for many people with 2 homes. Seems every state has different rules and every insurance co. seems different also.

As an example, I tried to register a car in my home state. But you have to show proof of that state insurance to get it. Insurance co. said no to that state as the car spent more time in the state it was currently registered in. I then asked about the cars I use in Fla. for 6 months a year. Insurance co. said they definitely need to be insured in Fla. or I would be breaking the rules of my contract with them. Problem is that if I insure in Fla. my state registration will be taken away for not having insurance. If I would register in Fla. I would be breaking the law in my home state as soon as the cars are there for 30 days.

No way to be in the right unless you leave a car in Fla. with Fla. registration and insurance. Then have other vehicles in your home state with registration and insurance there.
Or do like many others are doing. Setup a Montana LLC. have all your vehicles owned by that entity. Rent them back for $1. No inspection and low insurance. Then register any trailers you have in Maine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or