U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2016, 06:48 AM

25 posts, read 94,051 times

Advertisements

Hi All:

I will be driving from PG to Weeki Wachee on Thanksgiving. Anyone have any thoughts on the best route to take up that way? My sister lives near the junction of 50 and 19. I thought about just taking 75 to 50 and heading west. Google maps has a route that gets off of 75 earlier, then taking some smaller roads. We will be driving back in the dark, so might just be easier to do 50, although it might be a few miles longer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2016, 08:31 PM

16 posts, read 8,200 times
Just put an app called Waze on your phone. Its a google gps with all kinds of nice features.. live traffic so it will route you around congestion.. shows you where police are.. debris in the road.. cars on the side of the road.. etc.

Old 11-22-2016, 03:06 PM

407 posts, read 601,306 times
[url=http://mapsdrivingdirections.org/]Car Driving Directions - Simple to use Driving Directions complete with MindSpark App![/url

Old 11-29-2016, 04:50 AM
Status: "Now retired! Continuing the FL retirement house hunting soon" (set 16 days ago)

1,290 posts, read 1,293,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentSkulk View Post
Just put an app called Waze on your phone. Its a google gps with all kinds of nice features.. live traffic so it will route you around congestion.. shows you where police are.. debris in the road.. cars on the side of the road.. etc.
I used to use Waze, but switched to Google Maps. The interface is a little better on Waze, and does allow you to modify the navigation, such as avoid tollways and freeways. At first, the Waze user input seems helpful, like police warnings, possible debris on the road, and disabled vehicles on the shoulder. Many of the police warnings are either false, or the police left the area.

The absolute worst thing about Waze is all the warnings about disabled vehicles on the shoulders. There's something different about Florida verses Minnesota when it comes to disabled vehicles on the shoulders. We drove between Punta Gorda and Orlando many times, which is about a 3 hour drive, one way. Waze announced about 150 disabled vehicles on the shoulders over each 3 hour freeway drive. In Minnesota, a similar freeway drive of the same distance, you would typically have 5 to 8 disabled vehicles on the shoulders, except during snowstorms, there could be a lot more. I'm not sure of the reason there are so many disabled vehicles in Florida. I suspect that there are a lot more people in Florida who poorly maintain their vehicles, or a lot more people in Florida run out of gas a lot more often than people in Minnesota. Most of the disabled vehicle announcements were real, and the disabled vehicles were there. Having to put up with hearing all those disabled vehicle alerts becomes very annoying. The only way to stop those annoying disabled vehicle messages is to turn off the audio, which is also annoying.

If you look at many forums that talk about Waze, the number one complaint, for years, is people requesting the ability to selectively turn off disabled vehicle on the shoulders voice alerts. Yet, Waze refuses to offer the ability to selectively turn off disabled vehicle on the shoulders voice alerts.

I've used Google Maps in Minnesota and in Southern California around LA. Google Maps is pretty good about detecting which is the fastest route, and that route dynamically changes, depending on traffic conditions. My only complaints about Google Maps is the user interface isn't as easy to enter the destination address. You can also enter things like store names, and you pick which location, so you don't need to look up the physical street address independently.

Maybe someone could comment on how people in Florida do not properly maintain their vehicles, or run out of gas a lot, compared to other states.

Old 11-29-2016, 02:31 PM

2,200 posts, read 1,332,298 times
In FL, folks pull over when it rains... Maybe that is what is being shown...

Old 11-29-2016, 04:25 PM
Status: "Now retired! Continuing the FL retirement house hunting soon" (set 16 days ago)

1,290 posts, read 1,293,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seafood Junky View Post
In FL, folks pull over when it rains... Maybe that is what is being shown...
It wasn't raining, and we drove between Punta Gorda and Orlando several times. I'm not sure why there's so many disabled vehicles on the shoulders. My guess was that there are many more people that simply don't maintain their vehicles, or people are running out of gas.

I've also noticed from getting the news alerts from the SW Florida TV stations that there's a lot of fatal accidents, much more than I hear about in the Minneapolis / St Paul extended metro area, which has a population of about two million people. I'm not sure if the rates of fatal accidents are abnormally high in SW Florida compared to other places.

We also drove around the Miami area, and those drivers are insane! Even if you drove at 85 or 90, it wasn't fast enough for most of the people on those freeways. The drivers in SW Florida weren't recklessly speeding like they were in the Miami area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or