Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2017, 07:02 AM

222 posts, read 201,259 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone! I am starting to redo a bathroom. I wanted to do it in Marble. Everyone is telling it's not a good idea. So, I came across this product called "large format porcelain tile plane" it's made by Stonepeak! They are 5'x 10' sheets of compressed porcelain (no grout lines, yippie)! It is relatively a new product so I can not get a lot of information on it. I would love to find someone who has used it and knows something about it. Any information on this product would be GREATLY APPRECIATED! Thank you!
Attached Thumbnails
Redoing a bathroom with "Large Format Porcelain Tile Plane"!-image.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2017, 07:49 AM

182 posts, read 239,577 times
New to me but sounds interesting.

Old 01-23-2017, 10:08 AM

704 posts, read 769,780 times
Pretty!

Old 01-23-2017, 12:16 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,495,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinNYC View Post
Hi Everyone! I am starting to redo a bathroom. I wanted to do it in Marble. Everyone is telling it's not a good idea. So, I came across this product called "large format porcelain tile plane" it's made by Stonepeak! They are 5'x 10' sheets of compressed porcelain (no grout lines, yippie)! It is relatively a new product so I can not get a lot of information on it. I would love to find someone who has used it and knows something about it. Any information on this product would be GREATLY APPRECIATED! Thank you!

Would look nice in a very large high end bathroom (imo) to actually see the pattern, and which 'way' do you install the sheets? the 5' sideways, or the 10' sideways. Personally, I'd get some high quality large tile squares with a nice coordinating trim. An expert installer will do the best grout job and seal it.

Old 01-23-2017, 08:58 PM

1,917 posts, read 2,624,040 times
Why would anyone tell you not to do marble?

I redid one of my bathrooms in marble and I'm currently working on the other one.

The Romans built bath houses out of Marble and they are still around 2000 years later.

My bathrooms are tile sizes but a friend just did his in large panels and it came out beautiful.

Gary

Old 01-24-2017, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyGras View Post

I redid one of my bathrooms in marble and I'm currently working on the other one.

The Romans built bath houses out of Marble and they are still around 2000 years later.

My bathrooms are tile sizes but a friend just did his in large panels and it came out beautiful.

Gary
From what I understand it etches and stains very badly and you should have it professionally cleaned once a year.

Old 01-24-2017, 09:28 AM

1,917 posts, read 2,624,040 times
Travertine is an option....both travertine and marble are both limestone.
Marble is harder but travertine unpolished will hide issues.

Another option could be granite ....

Old 01-24-2017, 09:45 AM

Quote:

I'm going to be an old grump here. In my Richardson house I had beautiful granite in the kitchen. I loved it for the first year. I'm one of these people that as I get older I want things that are as low maintenance and durable as possible.

Old 01-25-2017, 06:36 AM

Quote:

Gary
Hi Gary, How are You? I have been from Port Charlotte to Naples looking at different tiles in different materials. Every single place told me not to do marble because of all the minerals that is in Florida water. It will change the look of the marble...they call it patina! Some people like that look. I myself, feel if I am going to pay that much for it, it better look the same in 10 years. One of the place told me to take a piece of marble, take it home, place it in a bucket with water in it and leave it there for 2 days. Then take it out of the water and use all the product (I use a lot) on it. So I bought two different types of marble that I liked and did the test. I didn't see any changes with the water test but 2 of the products I use did stain the marble, it turned it yellow. The same place told me you can have the marble sealed every couple of months to help PREVENT it from happening but there was no guarantee. I am not a young women anymore (I wish is was)I don't want to be a slave to cleaning bathrooms and worrying if the marble is going to etch or stain. I want something that is very easy to maintain and that will last for years.

Most marble on the MOHs scale of hardness is between 2-3. These compressed porcelain slabs are a 7. They are virtually indestructible once applied on the walls or floor. The problem I am having is not with finding them (I have) but NO ONE wants to install them! They are only 1/4 inch thick. They are like installing a thin piece of glass but once installed they are rock hard! No installer wants to eat the cost of them breaking during installation, with the cost of 1,300 a sheet, I can understand. I am starting over again to look for something else to do in this bathroom! More and more I keep thinking I should have bought a NEW house! I just have to tell the builder what colors I want.

Old 01-25-2017, 06:39 AM

Quote:

I have granite in my NY home, that comes with issues too! Water stains constantly! Ugh
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte