U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2017, 07:58 PM

2,608 posts, read 2,540,891 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimChi2PG View Post
It's typical for a State Attorney's not to make charges they don't feel strongly that the charges will stick. So I was surprised at the verdict. Mrs. Knowlton's son, Steve, apparently was surprised, too.

If the jury had returned a guilty verdict that would most likely mean the end of his career in Law Enforcement. I'm not sure that would have been justified either. My wife tells me Lewis had a few other minor blemishes on his record, the biggest being he used his police access privileges to obtain damaging files against his former wife during their divorce. That was before becoming chief.

He certainly showed poor judgment in not firing or at least severely reprimanding Coel after the dog chewing incident. The full video would have been sufficient evidence for me to fire him, if I was in Lewis' shoes. So maybe Lewis should be doing something else.

On the plus side, it's much more civil here than on Nextdoor. I heard one pro-Lewis member there hunted down some damaging files on an anti-Lewis member and posted what sounded like a pretty vicious attack.
Hahaha Nextdoor is quite entertaining
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2017, 01:53 PM

2,837 posts, read 2,483,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaRay35 View Post
Hahaha Nextdoor is quite entertaining
Kind of embarrassing to see that some of our neighbors are so into petty fighting on the Internet.

Some would do well to practice some of this.....

Old 07-04-2017, 07:09 AM

3,446 posts, read 2,345,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron61 View Post
Even though the police chief wasn't found guilty, I would hope he would resign from the force. This community as a whole will never think of him the same way,and I think it would show a high degree of respect to the family of the slain lady if he left.

There are no winners in this, nor can there be. Perhaps most important of all, nothing will ever bring her back. I hope police dept's all across America look at this tragedy and forbid such an exhibition like the one that took an innocent life.
If the taxpayers of PG have lost confidence or questions the chief's judgement, he is an employee of the community, and they can call for his resignation or ask him to leave. What has been revealed by the investigation, there should have been multiple safeguards to prevent this tragedy, they failed and no-one has answered for their failure yet. That has to be frustrating to the Knowle family.

Old 08-29-2017, 10:09 PM

Default Punta Gorda police chief says he’s been fired

PUNTA GORDA, Fla. Police Chief Tom Lewis says he’s been fired.

City Manager Howard Kunik delivered the termination notice Monday, according to Lewis. The firing had to do with the August 2016 citizens academy shooting, Lewis said.

Lewis was acquitted of culpable negligence in the death of retired librarian Mary Knowlton, who was gunned down by former officer Lee Coel during a “shoot-don’t shoot” academy training exercise.

A city spokeswoman insisted earlier Tuesday that no decision had been made regarding the chief’s job.

“The city has not taken any action to change Chief Lewis’ employment status,” spokeswoman Sandi Poreda said. “As far as the city’s concerned, he is still on administrative leave with pay. The city manager has not made any final decisions or taken any final action.”

The city placed Lewis on paid administrative leave in February, the day after he was charged. He never returned to work, even after his trial ended, as the city continued to conduct an internal investigation.

Kunik praised Lewis in a press conference the day he announced he was placed on leave, calling him a “fine” and “honorable” man. Those remarks caught the ire of Gary Knowlton, Mary’s widower, who thought the city trivialized his wife’s death.

The firing of Lewis would be a step in the right direction, Gary Knowlton said.

“Kunik, as a city manager, can probably see the division of the town,” he said. “What would bring unity is to have a new police chief that doesn’t have a record.”

WINK CBS Newa
August 29, 2017 7:12 PM EDT

Old 08-30-2017, 05:44 AM

3,400 posts, read 1,710,171 times
so which is it? is he fired or is he not?..sounds like the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing..vote against every freaking one of them in the next election..

btw, Lewis should be gone yesterday imo..

Old 08-30-2017, 06:51 AM

2,608 posts, read 2,540,891 times
Who's on first?

Old 08-30-2017, 02:42 PM

Default Lewis Let go by the city of Punta Gorda

City confirms firing of Punta Gorda police chief

PUNTA GORDA, Fla. -
Punta Gorda Police Chief Tom Lewis has officially been fired, according to a memo from the city manager.

There was some confusion as the now-former chief told us that he had been fired whereas a city spokesperson told us no decision had been made.

"I'm very disappointed in their dishonest approach in the last two days as to terminating me on Monday," Lewis said.

All of this comes from a "shoot, don't shoot" demonstration at a citizens academy in 2016 where Officer Lee Coel shot and killed 73-year-old Mary Knowlton.

Although Lewis said he'd purchased fake bullets for this scenario, he didn't know his officer wasn't using them. That led to his charges of culpable negligence. He was acquitted of them over the summer but has been on administrative leave since the internal investigation began.
.................................................. ..................................................

Click Below to view the whole press conference and read the termination letter

City confirms firing of Punta Gorda police chief - NBC-2.com WBBH News for Fort Myers, Cape Coral & Naples, Florida

Old 08-30-2017, 03:00 PM

5,801 posts, read 12,063,855 times
He got a 6 month paid vacation. He should consider himself lucky. Time to move on.

Old 08-31-2017, 10:57 PM

This is a special communication related to the discharge of PGPD Chief Tom Lewis from his responsibilities. Thank you for your patience while we followed due process. This has taken much longer than any of us would have liked.

We may not all agree on the outcome. I ask you to take the time to read these documents.

Click here to read the 82-page Internal Affairs Investigation - Final Report.
http://www.ci.punta-gorda.fl.us/home...cument?id=4156

There are clearly no winners in today's outcome. Let us move forward together to make our community a better place. That's what we do so very well in Punta Gorda.

Nancy Prafke, Punta Gorda City Council Member - District 5
nprafke@pgorda.us
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte