Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2017, 04:47 AM

3,645 posts, read 7,129,770 times

Advertisements

we've been here 7 years and not had any issues. when it RAINS the roads can flood but it soon clears. I guess there is always the chance of being hit by a hurricane, flooding or a donkey but sh*t happens and why spend life worrying ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2017, 10:01 AM

82 posts, read 102,250 times
Honestly we have worse thunderstorms that roll through than hurricanes. We don't even bother boarding up unless it's a 3 or higher and it really is rare to get hit by the eye wall which is where the worst part is. We rather look forward to hurricanes because everyone is off work and stuck at home inside so it's a great opportunity for parties

Old 03-26-2017, 10:18 AM

149 posts, read 139,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtRich View Post
Interesting, I hadn't heard that before. We're building in PC, SGC so, I guess that's a good thing, to be more like Englewood?
That is a great area to be, SGC is great! I love how close it is to everything fun

Old 03-26-2017, 10:27 AM

149 posts, read 139,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BacktoFL17 View Post
I've actually been looking in the Rotonda area as well. Like I said in my OP we're pretty wide open to many areas so that's another area I have on my list to visit while we're doing our "tour".

I'll also keep in mind that the budget needs to be closer to $400k. That might be pushing our budget a little past our means so we'd firstly have to get an idea of what our payments would be with taxes and insurance on a house that's $400k. However, I keep forgetting that we'll have a good sized down payment from the sale of our house up here I so it might be doable. If we wanted to build a MIL suite that's connected to the house through a breezeway, would something like that cost way more? I'm just trying to get an idea of what something like that would cost or if that would be way over our budget. If it comes between a MIL suite and a pool, I'd probably rather have the MIL suite. Less maintenance than a pool. Thanks!
Don't worry, there are good options for homes out there that are prebuilt and I know of a great custom builder that can help too....... You will be okay! Maybe consider purchasing from a builder now...and lease it back to them as a model home until you are ready to move in?

Just a thought!

Old 03-26-2017, 12:15 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,808,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr&mrssunshine View Post
we've been here 7 years and not had any issues. when it RAINS the roads can flood but it soon clears. I guess there is always the chance of being hit by a hurricane, flooding or a donkey but sh*t happens and why spend life worrying ?
Amen to that Pete!

Old 03-26-2017, 03:47 PM

296 posts, read 318,040 times
We've been here for about a year
We are PG but live on the opposite side of Charlotte Harbor. We love it here. PG has some nice parks, they do up the holidays nice, tons of fun. Good restaurants, seafood, as well. We are in a deed restricted and are happy, drive around some non deed areas and you will see why.

PC you have to be careful of as it has some sketchy areas. Lots of shopping and mom and pop places all over, from restaurants, watch repair, delis, etc. It is older however.

NP seems to be just cookie cutter neighborhoods but there are a few nice shopping areas. Houses tend to be on larger lots as many are septic and well. The area I think is nice for the most part.

Venice, Englewood, etc are closer to the beaches, and areas seem nice to me. Venice rolls up it's roads very early, an older population.

We get to the beaches in 30 mins.

We have no regrets. Our neighbors are all great, and everyone keeps up their houses nicely. We seem to have a lot of Midwestern folks in our area. Good German delis and such.

Old 03-26-2017, 06:25 PM

25 posts, read 69,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llrivero View Post
Don't worry, there are good options for homes out there that are prebuilt and I know of a great custom builder that can help too....... You will be okay! Maybe consider purchasing from a builder now...and lease it back to them as a model home until you are ready to move in?

Just a thought!
I will keep that in mind. I didn't know even know that was an option. Once we get down there, if we really fall in love with an area and we 100% know that's where we want to be maybe that's something we'll consider. Thanks for the tip, it definitely gives us another thing to think about!

Old 03-29-2017, 07:05 PM

4 posts, read 5,426 times
I'm so glad I found this post as I've been researching FL for over a year now and have come up with some of the same areas as BacktoFL17. My husband and I are now retired and are looking to move out of CT. I basically have the same requests/concerns as BacktoFL17. I am looking at some additional areas as well (Bradenton (kinda iffy about this area). Any nice/safe areas in Sarasota that's not too expensive ($1400/mo Rental or $200K Buying). I also have Venice on my list (this is actually probably at the top of my list). Any additional info would be much appreciated. We're planning an exploratory visit in mid-May for about 2 weeks. Also, would like the pros/cons on living in a planned community (renting or buying). We will probably rent first unless we find an area we simply can't dream of living anywhere else then we'll buy right away.

Old 03-30-2017, 08:17 AM

121 posts, read 147,523 times
Pricing wise PG might be a tight fit for your budget. I have investment water front property in PC and PG (PGI) with about 15 years experience in the PC and PG markets.

I am currently in the New York area, fairly young at 54 and I am starting to look at retiring in the area and will choose PG. I love the small town feel, with a real downtown. Lot's of festivals, week-end farmer markets, parks, great bike trails and water front restaurants. It's a very different world compared to PC, when you go over the bridge to PC the entire atmosphere changes. That being said - I do like O'Hare drive area of PC, I have property there - it's secluded and a nice quite area.

Old 03-31-2017, 01:27 AM

25 posts, read 69,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetdoc3037 View Post
We've been here for about a year
We are PG but live on the opposite side of Charlotte Harbor. We love it here. PG has some nice parks, they do up the holidays nice, tons of fun. Good restaurants, seafood, as well. We are in a deed restricted and are happy, drive around some non deed areas and you will see why.

PC you have to be careful of as it has some sketchy areas. Lots of shopping and mom and pop places all over, from restaurants, watch repair, delis, etc. It is older however.

NP seems to be just cookie cutter neighborhoods but there are a few nice shopping areas. Houses tend to be on larger lots as many are septic and well. The area I think is nice for the most part.

Venice, Englewood, etc are closer to the beaches, and areas seem nice to me. Venice rolls up it's roads very early, an older population.

We get to the beaches in 30 mins.

We have no regrets. Our neighbors are all great, and everyone keeps up their houses nicely. We seem to have a lot of Midwestern folks in our area. Good German delis and such.
Thanks for the info! You might have sold my husband automatically just by saying there are German delis. Lol! He LOVES German food! Funny, considering he married into a large Italian family. Haha!

I've "starred" all of these different places on Google maps to scout when we come down so we're going to have quite a bit of driving to do when that finally happens. I'm so very glad to see that we have many options though, definitely many more than what we had when we bought our first home for only $85k in Madeira...Crazy... You all (or should I say "yinz"! ) have been extremely helpful, so thank you so much for your input! It's nice to get the perspective of an area from people who live there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte