Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2017, 11:10 AM

73 posts, read 156,304 times

Advertisements

Just got word from my Home Inspector that there might be an issue with the panel in the home I'm looking to purchase, it's a challenger and 23 years old. He stated some Insurance Companies might not insure the home with this panel. Will need to contact various insurance Companies to see but was wondering what a ball park figure would be to replace it and the breakers . I understand there are various factors that could effect the price but was wondering if anyone has gone thru this recently and could tell me what it cost you. Also, maybe an Insurance Company that's not so picky. He said the panel is fine, he saw no issues with it, just wanted to give me a heads up about some insurance companies being overly cautious and refusing to issue a policy. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2017, 12:49 PM

3,979 posts, read 10,548,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteCo View Post
Just got word from my Home Inspector that there might be an issue with the panel in the home I'm looking to purchase, it's a challenger and 23 years old. He stated some Insurance Companies might not insure the home with this panel. Will need to contact various insurance Companies to see but was wondering what a ball park figure would be to replace it and the breakers . I understand there are various factors that could effect the price but was wondering if anyone has gone thru this recently and could tell me what it cost you. Also, maybe an Insurance Company that's not so picky. He said the panel is fine, he saw no issues with it, just wanted to give me a heads up about some insurance companies being overly cautious and refusing to issue a policy. Thanks in advance.
I just had a seller replace theirs for $1600 on a 1527 sq ft home. They had a Federal Pacific panel which is another one that is not always insurable. Replaced with a Square D Panel.

Old 04-28-2017, 01:24 PM

229 posts, read 346,879 times
I replaced mine 2 weeks ago with Square D for $1150 includes the permit

Old 04-28-2017, 03:47 PM

Thanks Guys^^^^^^^^^^^^^Doesn't sound bad at all. Never had it done before and wanted to be prepared for sticker shock if necessary.

Old 04-28-2017, 04:03 PM

FPL will take at least 6 weeks before they can come and pull your meter

Old 04-28-2017, 05:24 PM

3,179 posts, read 6,001,502 times
^^^^ Not 6 weeks. Never had it take more than 3 weeks for FPL. We do this all the time. There are 5 main panel brands that are red flags for the insurance co. Cost can range from $1,100-1,500 depending on access and wire size from the mast to meter, and meter to panel. I always try to get the seller to go 50/50 on the cost since it's a safety issue. Very common down here. If you go Square D, spend the extra $100 and upgrade to the "QO" series. better breakers and worth it. Many electricians ONLY offer the QO series.

Old 04-29-2017, 04:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbor Hopper View Post
^^^^ Not 6 weeks. Never had it take more than 3 weeks for FPL. We do this all the time. There are 5 main panel brands that are red flags for the insurance co. Cost can range from $1,100-1,500 depending on access and wire size from the mast to meter, and meter to panel. I always try to get the seller to go 50/50 on the cost since it's a safety issue. Very common down here. If you go Square D, spend the extra $100 and upgrade to the "QO" series. better breakers and worth it. Many electricians ONLY offer the QO series.

Will do, thanks.

Old 04-29-2017, 05:17 AM

3,930 posts, read 6,443,856 times
If doing this, opt for a panel big enough that you have some extra empty slots. This gives you room if you need to add a circuit or two (man cave, etc). Up front cost on the box is not that much in difference.

Old 04-29-2017, 06:31 AM

I am only 1 data point, but when I called FPL in mid-February the earliest they could schedule me for was 30 March. Of the 3 bids I got all offered Square D QO series and they were all within $200. The whole replacement from power off to power on took 8 hours. The inspector showed up right on time, no delays from him or FPL. Getting a little warm to do it now, if your insurance can wait, you may want to put it off till October.

Old 04-30-2017, 10:00 AM

1,917 posts, read 2,630,654 times
I'm just curious. How would the insurance company know what kind of electrical panel you have in your house?

The only inspection reports my insurance company ever received from me was Wind Mitigation and Flood.

Gary
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte