Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2018, 05:44 AM

2,609 posts, read 2,822,725 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr&mrssunshine View Post
And there you have my biggest gripe. Upgrades. Customers least favorite word.
we try and include almost everything ,so rather than walk round not knowing what's included and what's not, you know exactly what you are paying and getting....with respect to the Sarge, he has said on more than one occasion that he doesn't actually know what he paid extra for !!! That's not good from anyone's perspective
The old bait and switch, show them a package they fall in love with and then tell them “oh that’s an upgrade above the base” Can’t stand that BS!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2018, 12:12 PM

306 posts, read 391,160 times
Default Sorta...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr&mrssunshine View Post
And there you have my biggest gripe. Upgrades. Customers least favorite word.
we try and include almost everything ,so rather than walk round not knowing what's included and what's not, you know exactly what you are paying and getting....with respect to the Sarge, he has said on more than one occasion that he doesn't actually know what he paid extra for !!! That's not good from anyone's perspective
Well, sorta.

I certainly have the list of changer orders and that's about, oh, $20k worth for the house then another $22k for the pool. Much of that $20k is purely self-inflicted: power outlets in all 4 corners of soffett; insulated garage door; upgraded side-mount door openers; electric for future generator etc...

I think the biggest "gotcha" has been in the various allowances, NOT being adequate, for our tastes at least. Could we have stayed in the allowance range? Sure, in most cases. But, you only get one chance to build it the way you want, right?

For instance, $800 for lighting/fans, we were double that.
Granite? My wife always seemed to pick the top tier product, I couldn't care less, they all looked nice to me!

Appliances? Well, there she goes again! ;-)
Of course, I really wanted that inductive cook top too, it's so slick. Then, Bosch this and that and things add up in a jiffy.

So, all in all, I guess we're at about $42k over base, which does include a dock/lift, which is all I really wanted!

I don't feel we've gotten ripped off in any way, but yes there were some surprises not mentioned in the initial build. That, is probably our fault for being build rookies honestly.

Old 02-20-2018, 09:33 AM

82 posts, read 90,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtRich View Post
Well, sorta.
I don't feel we've gotten ripped off in any way, but yes there were some surprises not mentioned in the initial build. That, is probably our fault for being build rookies honestly.
Sarge.... I with you 100% on this one... Allowances.
Heck, the ceiling fan for the great room was $600. I only have one light left
Lighting... ended up triple the allowance.
Granite... doubled that.
Plumbing... doubled that.
And I don't think I have anything extravagant. Only slightly better than "builder grade".
We tried to stay within allowance; just no way it can be done.
I am also about $20K over budget.

I think it is time for those builders to look at the allowances and figure out what they would put in their house. But that is how they keep the bottom like cost down.

Old 02-20-2018, 04:58 PM

Default Paint!

Cool, the painting is now underway, exterior and interior.
Attached Thumbnails
New home is coming along!-0220181214.jpg   New home is coming along!-0220181218.jpg   New home is coming along!-0220181216d.jpg  

Old 02-21-2018, 05:26 PM

Default Painted!

Well, at least the painters are quick! Starting to look like a home now.
Attached Thumbnails
New home is coming along!-fullcolor-house.jpg  

Old 02-22-2018, 02:16 PM

Default More progress and pics

I swear it's been so long I couldn't recall what colors we picked. I like it!
Attached Thumbnails
New home is coming along!-fronthousepainted-insun.jpg  

Old 02-28-2018, 04:29 PM

38 posts, read 40,610 times
I think your place looks TERRIFIC! I can't wait til we break ground on ours. This is great to follow, thanks!

Old 03-19-2018, 11:24 AM

Default More pics

Progress still continues, albeit slowly.

The lovely model is my daughter, from recent Spring Break trip.

Notice the garage door openers on the wall? No overhead chain, motor or tracks! Liftmaster 8500 jackshaft style openers, they are the best, super quiet. Also added nylon rollers to make it even more quiet.

Other pics of pool and cabinets. Granite is next, driveway going in this week too supposedly.
Attached Thumbnails
New home is coming along!-img_9649-1-.jpg   New home is coming along!-img_9644-1-.jpg   New home is coming along!-img_9685-1-.jpg   New home is coming along!-img_9638-1-.jpg  

Old 03-19-2018, 03:48 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,822,725 times
Looking awesome!

Old 03-20-2018, 04:43 PM

4 posts, read 3,084 times
SgtRich - your new home is looking awesome!!!! So excited for you guys! We are building w HD also as well as Casa Pools (great minds think alike). We are still in the permitting process but almost there. May I ask what model you used for your build? We did a modified St Tropez. Again, so happy for you and your family. You are so close!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte