Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Did you leave your residence for Irma
NO, stayed at Charlotte County Home 15 30.61%
YES, Left Charlotte County Home 16 32.65%
Was Not in Florida for Irma 18 36.73%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2017, 10:47 PM

1,646 posts, read 3,024,243 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by double6's View Post
...How far up King's highway do you think a 8 or 9 foot surge would come? We live about 2 miles up from 41.
If you believe the idiot on cbs you'd probably be under water. But if he was truthful and said 8 or 9 feet "above mean high tide", instead of "above street level"....you would never see water as anything more than rain in your area. If you are that far inland you would need a biblical flood to affect you. Start building the ark .

Seriously folks, ya can't believe everything you hear on TV. There is no such (real) measure as "above street level" when it comes to floods. I said this before the storm and I'm saying it again. Those idiots on TV that were regurgitating that false crap should be fired. Yes, a 10 foot surge would flood some older houses like mine that are on the water....but it would be a foot or two of water at most in the house (because even our low area is a minimum of 8' above sea level). Not exactly get-on-the-roof type stuff. I did have the boat ready to go if we got a 15-20 or so foot surge though .

Does anyone know what the surge height was here? It was slightly above my dock but still about 4 feet lower than house level. Knowing the surge would clear this up a bit. I'm in an AE8 zone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2017, 10:55 PM

1,646 posts, read 3,024,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
...We have a large high-needs dog (anxiety disorder and aggressive to other dogs) who is very difficult or travel with, and sitting in traffic with him (and our kids) would have been not-fun. .....
I hear ya. One of our pets, an 18 year old cat with a heart problems, would probably not have made any lengthy drive. He probably doesn't have much time left, but we didn't want his last day to be in a hot car in traffic. Or in a cage in a shelter.

Old 09-15-2017, 11:30 PM

3,979 posts, read 10,544,071 times
We stayed in our home in Port Charlotte. Had my parents and their dog plus another couple, then the next night we had two more people. Total of 8 plus two dogs. We were without power for 2.5 days but used a generator. I would probably stay i most cases. I like the comfort of my home much better than a shelter. My parents are in Zone A and live in a mobile home so they pretty much always have to evacuate and they come to stay with us.

Old 09-16-2017, 01:21 PM

2,837 posts, read 2,693,496 times
What some of us experienced in Charley may have made us more prone to leave for Irma. On the other side of the spectrum is Irma didn't deliver what we expected so will that make us think twice about leaving the next time?

It will always be a reason for thought.

Old 09-17-2017, 12:32 PM

31 posts, read 47,198 times
I am not associated with any of the tv or weather folks but I do have to say I was surprised to hear them keep saying feet above ground. After listening a little more the WINK weather guy did say that they were using new inundation storm surge info from NOAA and that this season was the first they are using it. Potential Storm Surge Flooding Map

If you look at the info it does show potential water height above ground and they use maps based on the flood zone elevations to show the height. In the Hurricane Center NOAA maps there was a link to these maps for the storm and I looked at my neighborhood each time they issued. It did show estimates of 3-6 feet above ground. I'm assuming these new estimates is what pushed Charlotte County to issue a mandatory evacuation for Zone B which everyone was surprised by.

Luckily the storm weakened and changed path and we didn't see these type predications but I also noticed when that happened the surge predictions were adjusted down but all the hype (needed to prepare people) from earlier was still what everyone was talking about.

Old 09-17-2017, 04:04 PM

1,721 posts, read 2,784,482 times
Ibwas staying called for zone A to evacuate and didnt call water over thebroad yet. Then saturfay thay called zone B and showed water to 41. It was saturday afternoon and i left with my 2 small dogs ro port charlotte hight. Indidnt have a cage sonspent 2 night on the floor with them tied to me. They loved it but in a cage alone i would have left as one has seisures
Inwasnt tonworring about the wind house made it through charley but the new storm surge was worrysome. Oh and along with sore bones i caught somones cold. I should have atayed home

Old 09-17-2017, 05:58 PM

2,432 posts, read 2,689,105 times
We stayed but went to a shelter, this being our first hurricane we just weren't sure how well the house would hold up. We considered leaving but the traffic and gas issues being reported is what kept us here. Shelter was a 20 minute walk down the road so convenient anyways. Stayed 2 days. Wasn't nearly as bad as expected(being in a shelter with so many) not that it was a fun time but not the worst either.

For a cat 4 or 5 we plan to leave early or go to a shelter. Anything under a 4, I think we will be safe at home. I'm glad we didn't leave, came home overnight Sunday once the winds were under 45mph. Still had power! Very thankful. Comcast took a few days to get back and we never lost cell service. No damage, again very thankful!

Old 09-18-2017, 10:39 AM

3,930 posts, read 6,440,025 times
We were going to stay, but were in a mandatory evacuation zone. Couldn't find a motel room this side of Biloxi. Since we were taking the week off anyway (it was our week in Key West -dang) went on to visit kinfolk.

Old 09-22-2017, 04:28 PM

306 posts, read 390,800 times
Question, a lot of you stayed, can't blame you and I would have to.

But, with "mandatory" evacuation, what does that really mean? They can't come to every house and tell you to leave. Plus, with all the shutters put up, you can't tell if anyone is home anyway.

So, just curious what "mandatory" really means. Guessing it means you can forget about emergency services any time soon, for one thing.

Old 09-22-2017, 08:20 PM

5,166 posts, read 4,938,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtRich View Post
But, with "mandatory" evacuation, what does that really mean? They can't come to every house and tell you to leave. Plus, with all the shutters put up, you can't tell if anyone is home anyway.

So, just curious what "mandatory" really means. Guessing it means you can forget about emergency services any time soon, for one thing.
I've been in the Emergency Services for over 40 years now and I can't answer that! I'm right there with you, wondering exactly what they mean by that. I take it to mean, "You're on your own" and that they aren't responsible for coming to your aid if it endangers the emergency responders, but that's only a guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte