Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2017, 09:24 AM

2 posts, read 2,235 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone;

My wife and I are headed down there this week, and will be spending Thursday and Friday exploring Port Charlotte and Punta Gorda. For the last 5 years we've always tried to take a couple trips to FL, figuring out where we'd like to have a Winter home. We've mostly concentrated on Ft. Myers/Cape Coral and Tampa St. Pete areas.

I retired at 57 after selling my Lake of the Ozarks, MO boat rental business in June. My wife has a couple years to go before she fully retires. We're boaters through and through, and have a 3350 Regal that we're likely to keep at the lake and a Sea Ray 240 Sundeck that we're not sure about bringing to FL because of the salt water. More likely buy something there with an outboard.

So house-wise, we're looking for 3+BR, 2+ bath, hopefully 3-car garage, and most importantly water (canal) front. I'd prefer sailboat access, just so we don't have to worry about bridge clearance in the case of a larger cruiser. We don't fish, but that might change once we get there. Mostly recreational boating to sand bars, restaurants and sight-seeing. Budget is $400~$650K.

But first of all we need to check out the various areas of Charlotte Harbor to see where we'd like to find our ideal house. Would anyone be interested in taking us around in their boat for an afternoon and playing tour guide? Of course we'd compensate you for your time. While renting a boat ourselves is an option, We'd get more out of it with someone knowledgeable of the area.

Looking forward to making some new friends and possibly neighbors some day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2017, 01:45 PM

5,818 posts, read 12,625,200 times
In Punta Gorda with your budget I would pick Punta Gorda Isles first followed by Burnt Store Isles. Many miles of deep water canals in a small town feel. Great walkable downtown area. I'll let one of our poster neighbors in Port Charlotte give you the locations there

Old 11-14-2017, 06:20 AM

5,172 posts, read 4,943,999 times
As far as the Port Charlotte neighborhoods go with sailboat water, there are several choices, all with a mix of older (70's ?) and newer houses.: The area south of Edgewater between the 41 bridge and Harbor Blvd. probably has the quickest access to open water and the Peace River/Charlotte Harbor. Also the closest to the few waterfront dining options we have in the area.

The Manchester waterway area is south of Ohara Drive. Longer access to open water (at a minimum of 20 minutes) via Lewis Creek but on the plus side, if you get something that is directly on the Manchester, not one of the finger canals that run off of it, there will always be the preserve Hog Island across from you...meaning no other houses or development.

Then there is the area of North Gulf Cove. Quick access to the Myakka River and then a short ride south to Charlotte Harbor.

But, depending on how long you want to travel to "green water" and the sandbars, you may want to look at the Englewood area. Charlotte Harbor and the Peace River are tannin stained; you need to head to the southern part of the harbor before you start to run into clear water.

Old 11-14-2017, 08:53 AM

3,979 posts, read 10,548,914 times
Punta Gorda Isles and Burnt Store Isles both are within your budget and have sailboat access homes. Also, within these two locations the City of Punta Gorda takes care of the canal and seawall maintenance (paid for in your taxes). Other locations within Charlotte County you maintain your own seawall. Many of the seawalls were damaged by hurricane Irma, so when you come down to look at homes, you may see several damaged seawalls that have not been repaired yet. The city has a planned scheduled of repairs. You are responsible for your own boat lift and dock.

Punta Gorda Canal Maintenance - Canal Maintenance | City of Punta Gorda, FL

There are other sailboat access canal homes in Port Charlotte as MikMal mentioned. 3 car garage is difficult to find. Right now there are 7 sailboat water homes with 3 car garages in your price range in Charlotte County.

Old 11-15-2017, 11:41 AM

2,609 posts, read 2,822,725 times
PGI is a beautiful area I’m sure you will love. Any questions feel free to message me.

Old 11-16-2017, 07:09 AM

3,930 posts, read 6,443,856 times
With the costs we are seeing further south with the damages to the seawalls, where there is no taxing authority to maintain and repair, I would definitely recommend PGI. Up front costs would be higher than Port Charlotte, but the knowledge you wouldn't have to shoulder the seawall repair is a biggie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte