Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2017, 08:36 AM

700 posts, read 1,818,744 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone, in the relentless pursuit of getting a larger boat, I'm tasked in finding the most economically solution to a dilemma.
We have a 4K boat lift (older Hi Tide galvanized) circa late 90's in good condition both appearance and usability. Our last boat was a 19'er that fit just fine. However that one is gone now and we want to go larger. Something in the 25' + range with an I/O. We don't really fish but looking for something to cruise the harbor and run down to Ski Alley once in a while.
We have a choice, replace the 8" pilings and get a 10K boat lift installed. A quick call to one of the more expensive dock peeps was 8,800 for new 10" pilings and a new Gear drive Hi Tide.
I got to thinking, what about just wet slipping. We do have blow out tides of course especially in the winter and the boat would be on the bottom. The width between the pilings are 11'. So if we had a 9' beam, some sort of Tide Ride would be needed for the bow area. We would have to keep the outdrive raised. We're used to pulling boats once a year when we were on the Chesapeake. Last 3 out of 4 boats were 28', 42' and 47'. Used to paying for dockage up there as well as travel lift fees.
I aware of having stretched bellows. We're 2 miles away from Charlotte Harbor Beach Park on a through canal and mostly brackish. Would also have to install a permanent flush system on the motor if raw water cooled. Aluminum prop for electrolysis. Don't have much boat traffic here but we do get the occasional 'I have no idea what no wake means' come by.
I've seen some large sailboats with a 15 degree list in the winter from the keel sitting in the mud.
We would also blow out the slip to give that extra foot or so below the hull. Did that before with dual 22" props at idle and opened the slip up to 10' depth from 3'. Of course wouldn't do that here to undermine the pilings and/or seawall.
Thoughts? Am I barking up the wrong tree here?
Opinions/facts are most welcome pro or con.
Thx all!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2017, 09:50 AM

5,818 posts, read 12,624,105 times
Me, I would get the new pilings and be done with it. I have a 21 center console, the color is yellow. I left it in overnight a couple weeks ago and the tannin color was a PIA to remove once I got it back on the lift. I'm around the same distance to the harbor.

Old 11-18-2017, 05:00 PM

Thx JM! I know what you mean. Our old 19'er would have a nice tannin stain above the bottom paint after put her back on the lift. Was painted previously. We would get something that has already been bottom painted. Probably go with a hard bottom paint vs ablative.
Thx!!

Old 11-18-2017, 05:15 PM

1,646 posts, read 3,025,654 times
I've wet slipped all my boats (including during 9 years here).

I'd say go for it...

BUT...I wouldn't do it with an IO here. Up north I've slipped IOs. Not worth the hassle here.

And, if we are talking about a new boat, just get the lift done. It will pay for itself in reduced maintenance costs.

Old 11-20-2017, 04:19 PM

1,721 posts, read 2,785,732 times
The only boats i see in the water with work
Ate big boats me i bought a used lift off craihslist and had it installed 7500lb. Had 20' to 30' on it

Old 11-20-2017, 04:31 PM

3,179 posts, read 6,000,719 times
If you're going to keep it in the water, it is an absolute MUST to A) bottom paint, B) USE it! Letting it sit and rot in the water month after month will create a big headache when you do finally try to fire it up. And remember, anything hanging in the water off the transom (outdrive, outboard, trim tabs, transducers, etc... will need to be scraped periodically for barnacles. It takes less than a week for them to attach and grow. They love tight places (i.e. outdrive bellows!).
You also need to make sure you have a trickle charger hooked up, and the bilge float switch is operational with no obstructions in the bilge. It should be wired directly to the battery, NOT through the battery switch. Check that the float works once a week. May seem like a PIA, but it's the ONLY defense against sinking from excessive rain or a leak.

Old 11-20-2017, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeM8560 View Post
The only boats i see in the water with work
Ate big boats me i bought a used lift off craihslist and had it installed 7500lb. Had 20' to 30' on it
I bought a used lift on CL also, 10k for $750. I permitted and ran power to the dock. But then I got into too many headaches trying to get the 4 required permits to have lift piles driven, so I gave up. I resold the lift on CL for $1100.

I assume (would hope) replacing existing pilings is an easier permit process? Kinda like replacing an existing fence is much easier permit wise than putting up a new one?

Old 11-20-2017, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbor Hopper View Post
You also need to make sure you have a trickle charger hooked up, and the bilge float switch is operational with no obstructions in the bilge. It should be wired directly to the battery, NOT through the battery switch. Check that the float works once a week. May seem like a PIA, but it's the ONLY defense against sinking from excessive rain or a leak.
Not having to worry about a bilge pump is one of the reasons I prefer pontoon boats over fiberglass hulls (deck boats). I sleep a lot better at night, especially when it's pouring rain outside.

Old 11-20-2017, 04:48 PM

ALL good intel!!! Many thanks all! In the process of building an 8' x 12' floating dock first and then figure out the lift. I'd prefer to go with a lift but hey, I'm a working stiff..... In FLA!
Thx

Old 11-21-2017, 06:24 AM

3,179 posts, read 6,000,719 times
I've purchased 3 used lifts off craigslist in the past 10yrs and had the lift companies install them. $3,000 vs $10,000! No warranty on the lift of course, but if you know what you're looking for in a used lift you can really save!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: