Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2018, 04:08 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,820,221 times

Advertisements

Yep gotta ask a lot of questions here before you act. No state income tax means many hidden fees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2018, 07:39 PM

3,128 posts, read 2,253,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaRay35 View Post
Yep gotta ask a lot of questions here before you act. No state income tax means many hidden fees.
Ain’t that the truth! I’ve only lived here 15 months and I’m always learning something new about fees and costs that I never had to deal with up north. For example, shortly after moving here the hot water heater had to be replaced. Lo and behold the county required a permit for that! A costly permit at that. Never heard of that before, but I’ve since learned that Charlotte county requires a permit for all kinds of things.

Old 02-09-2018, 08:01 PM

9 posts, read 7,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron61 View Post
Ain’t that the truth! I’ve only lived here 15 months and I’m always learning something new about fees and costs that I never had to deal with up north. For example, shortly after moving here the hot water heater had to be replaced. Lo and behold the county required a permit for that! A costly permit at that. Never heard of that before, but I’ve since learned that Charlotte county requires a permit for all kinds of things.
I am the original poster about the vehicles. I am doing as much research as possible about fees and permits like you described with replacing your hot water heater. I am a custom builder in North Dakota, and my head is spinning as to all the hoops I have to jump through to build in Florida. Im 44 and I am set to retire in 11 years. Im actually thinking about NOT taking all the tests and getting licensed to build, but instead just go back to being a subcontractor and do some flips here and there. Florida is ridiculous with all there tests and licenses to be a general contractor.......lol
BTW.....good luck on the hot water heater!!

Old 02-10-2018, 04:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Flounderer View Post
I am the original poster about the vehicles. I am doing as much research as possible about fees and permits like you described with replacing your hot water heater. I am a custom builder in North Dakota, and my head is spinning as to all the hoops I have to jump through to build in Florida. Im 44 and I am set to retire in 11 years. Im actually thinking about NOT taking all the tests and getting licensed to build, but instead just go back to being a subcontractor and do some flips here and there. Florida is ridiculous with all there tests and licenses to be a general contractor.......lol
BTW.....good luck on the hot water heater!!
Same boat i am in although i am 8 years older. Had a construction co up north and there is no way i am going to jump through these hoops to start up again. I just started working for a contractor instead.
You avtually need a permit to hamg a storm door or replace dock decking lol

Old 02-10-2018, 08:38 AM

9 posts, read 7,751 times
Quote:
Same boat i am in although i am 8 years older. Had a construction co up north and there is no way i am going to jump through these hoops to start up again. I just started working for a contractor instead.

NO JOKE!!! lol
I had a custom tile shower and flooring business for 18 years and I love trimming and painting. For at least the last 12 years I trimmed, painted, and floor covered my own houses because I was "TOO PICKY" according to most of the local contractors...lol
Ill be bringing my foreman down when I come, and I just plan on letting someone else deal with the headache while I do my job and go home at the end of the day. I figure there is enough building and remodeling going on, I should have NO PROBLEM keeping me and one guy busy. We are both prior military and I know our quality and dependability always keep us busy compared to the average "unreliable un-prideful people" that are in construction around here..lol
Anyways, best of luck to you SeaRay!!

Old 02-10-2018, 01:25 PM

1,133 posts, read 2,929,988 times
Quote:
Really??..What if you just hang your own door or build your own deck without the permit?

Old 02-10-2018, 01:35 PM

1,217 posts, read 1,224,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcoolmrcool28 View Post
Really??..What if you just hang your own door or build your own deck without the permit?
If you're caught, expect a fine then you'll still need to get a permit or tear it out.

Old 02-10-2018, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLHfan View Post
If you're caught, expect a fine then you'll still need to get a permit or tear it out.
Exactly and **** off town so they watch closely

Old 02-10-2018, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Flounderer View Post
NO JOKE!!! lol
I had a custom tile shower and flooring business for 18 years and I love trimming and painting. For at least the last 12 years I trimmed, painted, and floor covered my own houses because I was "TOO PICKY" according to most of the local contractors...lol
Ill be bringing my foreman down when I come, and I just plan on letting someone else deal with the headache while I do my job and go home at the end of the day. I figure there is enough building and remodeling going on, I should have NO PROBLEM keeping me and one guy busy. We are both prior military and I know our quality and dependability always keep us busy compared to the average "unreliable un-prideful people" that are in construction around here..lol
Anyways, best of luck to you SeaRay!!
Just be prepared for a different pay scale and a slower pace. Work ethic as you said is a bit different down here but you have to learn to pick and choose your battles.
And thank you for your service, best of luck on your move I’m sure you will find work.
Don

Old 02-11-2018, 10:48 AM

14,927 posts, read 12,123,994 times
Quote:
Exactly and **** off town so they watch closely
You do know that sometimes it's your own neighbors who rat you out to the county/city about that unpermitted work. At least that's what our friends who live in PGI have told us.

I'm guessing these folks who do that are kissing cousins of the so-called HOA Nazis who cruise their neighbirhoods looking for dirty tile roofs and extra vehicles in the driveway. As described by our friends who live in Burnt Store marina, or lakes, forget which.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte