U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2018, 01:11 PM

29 posts, read 46,546 times

Advertisements

I have a 2nd phone interview today for a great job (I'm a nurse practitioner) in Port Charlotte. We are currently in Indiana but ready to relocate to Florida!

If I get this job...we are wondering if we should live in Port Charlotte or Punta Gorda? Pros/cons? Demographics of each town? Crime rate?

We are in our mid 30s with 2 kids. We homeschool so schools arent a big deal, but having enough homeschool gatherings and activities to join would be nice. We love the outdoors and want to be able to ride our bikes, walk trails, do water sports, my husband is a golfer.

We want something fairly quiet where we can enjoy the outdoors but we dont want to be terribly far from bigger stores, shopping, minor league baseball games, kids sports leagues (soccer) and running clubs (our son runs a lot of 5K and 10K races), library, bookstore, a good church to attend, and other community activities and things to enjoy.

I have a great uncle and aunt and their son (my dad's cousin) who live in Punta Gorda. THey are of course in their 70s and love the slower pace and charm of Punta Gorda (they grew up in a very small town here in Indiana and moved to PG for retirement). I've only seen their pics online but it looks a bit like a sleepy town made of a lot of retirees? But it looks nice in terms of slower pace of life, outdoor spaces, and they seem to be not too far from Port Charlotte or Fort Myers for other things. So we debated on moving there.

But Port Charlotte seems more the size of the town we planned on moving to, with more overall to do? We just arent sure about crime. I've googled and found threads where people said it was overall pretty low crime and threads where people bashed Port Charlotte saying it was full of crime and telling people to move to PG.

Obviously if I get a job offer, we will go down to visit and explore both towns and the area in general. Just thought I'd get some opinions.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2018, 01:37 PM

11,115 posts, read 18,381,388 times
^^^ Having lived in that area previously, I would suggest you take a look at the Burnt Store area(s) south of PG/PC. Depending on your price range. I would also suggest renting for a year first; this hyper market is not going to stay topped forever. (Coming from Indiana, you may want to see if you can take the hot humid drenching heat of the summers, which are from May to mid October.)

Old 02-27-2018, 03:04 PM

3,178 posts, read 5,579,702 times
North Port will have a much younger vibe. FYI, don't take a sign-on bonus if offered, especially if it's at one of the local hospitals! You will likely regret it. My wife did that when we moved down 10yrs ago (physical therapist), and that was the longest 2yrs of her life! They are not managed well at all.

Old 02-27-2018, 03:27 PM

3,112 posts, read 1,889,164 times
I moved to PG a year and a half ago and it is definitely a small town with a slow pace. During season however it seems to double in population, and that brings its own set of problems. Simply stated, the roads here were not designed to handle the amount of seasonal traffic,thus it takes a while to get around even in this small town.
As I said, I’ve been here a year and a half and I am still undecided about how I feel about this area. For sure, there are a lot of elderly people here. Where I live in Deep Creek it appears to be predominantly older people,because I see only a handful of kids of school age. I think you would prefer Port Charlotte or North Port since you have young children. There really isn’t much for young kids to do in PG,at least that I’m aware of.

Good luck with your job prospects and subsequent move!

Old 02-27-2018, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
^^^ Having lived in that area previously, I would suggest you take a look at the Burnt Store area(s) south of PG/PC. Depending on your price range. I would also suggest renting for a year first; this hyper market is not going to stay topped forever. (Coming from Indiana, you may want to see if you can take the hot humid drenching heat of the summers, which are from May to mid October.)
Thanks! Yes we def plan on renting at least a year first, perhaps 2 years. We want to know the area well and be sure the job is a stable, long term job and a good fit before committing to buy.

We’ve spent quite a bit of time in central Florida during all seasons, including summers. We are aware of the heat and humidity... and frankly my husband and I both can handle heat much much better than cold. Neither of us tolerate cold well at all!

Old 02-27-2018, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbor Hopper View Post
North Port will have a much younger vibe. FYI, don't take a sign-on bonus if offered, especially if it's at one of the local hospitals! You will likely regret it. My wife did that when we moved down 10yrs ago (physical therapist), and that was the longest 2yrs of her life! They are not managed well at all.
I notice there are a lot of RN jobs with big sign on bonuses down in florida. Crazy because there’s not much of a nursing shortage here in this area.

I’m a nurse practitioner and there aren’t many jobs in this area because there are quite a few schools in this area with nurse practitioner programs.

I have a 3rd phone interview for a job at an employee wellness clinic. Nothing crazy....no ridiculous sign on bonus that makes you go “hmmm what’s so bad about the job that they have to entice people with a $5000 to $10,000 sign on bonus?”

Thanks for sharing....I assumed there was a good reason they needed to offer those bonuses.

Old 02-27-2018, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron61 View Post
I moved to PG a year and a half ago and it is definitely a small town with a slow pace. During season however it seems to double in population, and that brings its own set of problems. Simply stated, the roads here were not designed to handle the amount of seasonal traffic,thus it takes a while to get around even in this small town.
As I said, I’ve been here a year and a half and I am still undecided about how I feel about this area. For sure, there are a lot of elderly people here. Where I live in Deep Creek it appears to be predominantly older people,because I see only a handful of kids of school age. I think you would prefer Port Charlotte or North Port since you have young children. There really isn’t much for young kids to do in PG,at least that I’m aware of.

Good luck with your job prospects and subsequent move!
Thank you for the well wishes and for sharing your info! I have a 3rd interview Thursday for a job in Port Charlotte. From what we can see, we’ve been leaning toward Port Charlotte.

That being said.....are there any areas of Port Charlotte we should stay away from interns of crime/ghetto/not family friendly???

Old 02-27-2018, 04:06 PM

2,607 posts, read 2,533,979 times
Your price range will play a large part, waterfront or non, if waterfront proximity to open water. Do you want to be “close” to beaches? Definitely rent 1st, we are in PGI and love it, but everyone has a different opinion. Best of luck on your move.

Old 02-27-2018, 04:53 PM

11,115 posts, read 18,381,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StephanieG4 View Post
I notice there are a lot of RN jobs with big sign on bonuses down in florida. Crazy because there’s not much of a nursing shortage here in this area.

I’m a nurse practitioner and there aren’t many jobs in this area because there are quite a few schools in this area with nurse practitioner programs.

I have a 3rd phone interview for a job at an employee wellness clinic. Nothing crazy....no ridiculous sign on bonus that makes you go “hmmm what’s so bad about the job that they have to entice people with a $5000 to $10,000 sign on bonus?”

Thanks for sharing....I assumed there was a good reason they needed to offer those bonuses.

HarborHarper is 100% correct. The healthcare and hospitals are below par.

Old 02-27-2018, 08:50 PM

3,931 posts, read 6,003,549 times
Avoid Easy Street area, near the hospitals. I would go north of Midway if east of 41 or west of 41 for moderately priced homes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte