Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2018, 06:36 AM

3,930 posts, read 6,442,107 times

Advertisements

Just be aware of HOAs vs areas without HOAs. Down here HOAs can rule your life with their 'you can't ' stuff. Rotonda has a massive HOA, while most of Venice and Englewood do not unless in a gated development.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2018, 02:57 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,821,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbor Hopper View Post
We have an 8yr old. We have two elementary schools here, two middle, and one high school. The median age is older (where in FL isn't it, lol) but we are certainly not lacking families either.
There you have it Englewood is kid friendly North Port is as well as posted, but does not compare to Englewood and Venice IMO. SAINT James City is quaint kind of like Old Key West but I wouldn’t call it family orientated.

Old 03-17-2018, 05:42 PM

3,133 posts, read 2,255,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Restrain View Post
Just be aware of HOAs vs areas without HOAs. Down here HOAs can rule your life with their 'you can't ' stuff. Rotonda has a massive HOA, while most of Venice and Englewood do not unless in a gated development.
I’ve never understood the negative sentiment about HOA’s, especially a comment such as “rule your life”. No one, and I mean no one buys in an HOA community without first knowing the stipulations. If by some odd reason that were to happen, it’s the buyers fault for not doing their due diligence.

I bought in an HOA community for the simple reason that I didn’t want a semi tractor parked next to me, among other things. I researched Rotonda but rejected it because I felt they were too restrictive. In hindsight, that was probably a mistake because the HOA in Deep Creek is practically nonexistent, unless you have a weed growing in your flower bed.

Old 03-17-2018, 07:09 PM

1,217 posts, read 1,225,476 times
Rotonda West is made up of several separate HOAs. After looking at their rules, the "circle" seems to be the most restrictive.

Rotonda Lakes and Rotonda Heights could be considered HOA lite but they still do a good job of keeping the neighborhoods cleaned up.

I'm not sure about the rules in the Meadows but it's a very well kept area. The houses are mostly spread out to the point it looks like the lots are huge.

Old 03-18-2018, 10:51 AM

3,645 posts, read 7,148,424 times
Rotonda West aka 'The Circle" . One HOA. lots are 99% 80' wide and vary between 110 and 200' deep, you can build a good size home most anywhere, power on nearly every street, city water and sewer. Has the best $psf prices

Rotonda lakes. situated on the NE corner (outside) of the circle, majority of lots in flood zone, they are only 60' wide which means buying 2 lots or building a narrow home (not ideal in Florida ) IMO. Also needs a mini sewer as not gravity, this adds $5100+ to build cost.

Rotonda Heights. NW segment . Again mostly flood zone, needs mini sewer, most streets have power. This is becoming more popular because of the new Winchester Road , making I75 a lot quicker to reach

Rotonda sands . SW segment. All flood zone, probably 50% of streets have power, needs mini sewer, also lot sizes are all over the place, some 80' wide some down to 70'. Biggest issue is the lot depths ,many are only 100' making a pool a problem.

Rotonda Meadows : the only non contiguous (to the circle) 'Rotonda' : Very few streets have power, all flood zone, mini sewer needed, almost all lots are small, meaning smaller homes and no pools. Out of some 8000 lots only around 20 homes.

So whilst the circle lots are generally more expensive, by the time you add power, stem walls, mini sewer and clearing they can total the same. Selling prices $psf are highest in the Circle.

all in all Rotonda is a very safe, quiet community, the HOAS are not draconian, they keep the area neat and tidy and devoid of RVs , boats, rubbish etc ........you only have to look at South Gulf Cove which doesn't not have deed restrictions to see you could end up living next to the Beverly Hillbillies !!

Old 03-19-2018, 05:39 AM

207 posts, read 260,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr&mrssunshine View Post
you only have to look at South Gulf Cove which doesn't not have deed restrictions to see you could end up living next to the Beverly Hillbillies !!
Funny, but true.

Old 03-19-2018, 11:29 AM

306 posts, read 391,009 times
Default Ouch

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaNewbie2017 View Post
Funny, but true.
Ouch! That's where we're building. There is an HOA there and an Architectural board as well, what power they have, is debatable. But I have seen folks get warning for a lot of silly stuff, like oil spots in driveway.

Also, I haven't seen anything near "beverly hillbillies" style there. Some RVs here and there, yes. But by and large, the homes are newer/nicer IMO, than most of Rotunda.

We rented a home for 5 days in Rotunda and I wasn't impressed personally. That and, no boating or access to open water, no thanks.

But, to each his own!

Old 03-20-2018, 05:41 AM

207 posts, read 260,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtRich View Post
That and, no boating or access to open water, no thanks.

But, to each his own!
There is boating in Rotonda. You can go 280º of a full circle to nowhere. It is called obstacle course boating. You drive around ducks,boat bumpers and foam blocks trying not to catch an irrigation pump inlet pipe. Quite challenging.

Old 03-20-2018, 05:52 AM

5,167 posts, read 4,941,748 times
So what keeps the water in the Rotonda canals from becoming stagnant and a mosquito breeding pool?

Old 03-23-2018, 11:53 AM

50 posts, read 56,583 times
Well thank you so much everyone for all the info. We found Venice and Englewood to be a much older population than we were looking for. We never made it to Rotonda due to all the info we received that it is very removed from everything. We were quite taken with Matlacha and St James City, both have an older population as well but are eclectic like we are and Ft Myers is only a short drive away for the life our boys will be looking for. We are going to rent for a few months in the summer/fall to see what the population is like after spring break. We were there once before but again it was during spring break. Thanks again!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte