Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2018, 07:44 AM

73 posts, read 153,046 times

Advertisements

Getting ready to have my pool cage rescreened. After the hurricane, I had a few panels that ripped and repaired them myself with screen from Home Depot. Did not realize it at the time but the screen I bought was no see um screen. After installing I noticed that whenever these panels got wet they were like a sheet of water and you could not see thru them until the sun evaporated the water. Was thinking of going with no see um screen on all the walls until I experienced this. I'm concerned that with the rainy season coming up I will not be able to see out of the cage at all for hours on end and feel boxed in. Has anyone done this and do you regret it? is it just the screen I bought or does all no see um screen do this? I hate the no see ums with a passion but also like my view and would hate to loose it even for a few hours. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2018, 08:11 AM

5,097 posts, read 4,860,945 times
I don't have no see um screening but I have the same issue when it rains heavy. When I re-screened back in 2012 I used something called "Super Screen".

Old 04-12-2018, 09:17 AM

207 posts, read 255,707 times
I changed to No Seeum screen from regular. There are definitely pluses and minuses. My wife gets eaten by the No Seeums. The new screen keeps them out. How the screen does that is by smaller holes. The smaller holes cuts down visibility (especially on an angle view), blocks a lot more wind, blocks more sun and does hold water for a short period of time when it is raining hard. We did that screen on the side walls and doors. We used regular screen on the top panels as they say No Seeums only fly 6' high.
If I had to do it over again I would definitely go back to regular and my wife would definitely go with the No Seeum screen.

Old 04-12-2018, 11:16 AM

73 posts, read 153,046 times
Thanks for the replies. On the fence with the no see um screen. Was going to paint the framing myself before the re screen but now I'm thinking I might be biting off more than I can chew. Has anyone had their cage re painted and could you guys recommend someone that works the Englewood/Port Charlotte area. South Gulf Cove to be exact. Appreciate any feedback.

Old 06-26-2018, 05:13 PM

63 posts, read 99,676 times
Default No seeums

Hi!

I am in Roanoke, VA, and these annoying little bugs are driving me nuts!

Has anyone tried spraying the screens with no seeum repellant?

As for personal repellant, everyone is Mississippi swears by Avon Skin so Soft Bug Guard PLUS Insect Repellent Lotion. It even has 30 spf and comes in different scents. I haven't tried it yet but just ordered some. Apparently, you have to get the PLUS version to repell no seeums.

Any traps y'all have found helpful?

Old 07-01-2018, 05:52 AM

67 posts, read 56,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaNewbie2017 View Post
I changed to No Seeum screen from regular. There are definitely pluses and minuses. My wife gets eaten by the No Seeums. The new screen keeps them out. How the screen does that is by smaller holes. The smaller holes cuts down visibility (especially on an angle view), blocks a lot more wind, blocks more sun and does hold water for a short period of time when it is raining hard. We did that screen on the side walls and doors. We used regular screen on the top panels as they say No Seeums only fly 6' high.
If I had to do it over again I would definitely go back to regular and my wife would definitely go with the No Seeum screen.
I believe they can go higher than 6 feet. After a hard rain, my pool is covered with them. They get knocked through the screen by the rain and float on top until I skim the pool.

Old 07-01-2018, 06:14 AM

That must be some other bugs as you can't Seeum.
We used the finer mesh the full height of the side panels.

Old 04-30-2019, 07:08 AM

3 posts, read 13,761 times
Wow! Please keep this thread going. I just moved to Northwest Tampa on the water and I am so miserable in my new “dream home”. I feel like I must have fairy blood for the no see ums!!! The itch is soooo bad. I’ve been applying peppermint oil directly to the bites for relief and it has helped tremendously. Unfortunately it also keeps my man at a distance I woke up in middle of night feeling like I got bit all over again and I prob did from having doors open. We moved here Saturday and it’s only Tuesday and I can’t deal. I ordered the skin so soft plus and have my fingers crossed. I have sprayed my self with OFF but that didn’t work. Sprayed house and doors with bug spray and still bites EVERYWHERE! We have a screen company coming today and I def want the 20X20 mesh. Plus the marina in my back yard so it will give more privacy and won’t feel the need to cover up every time someone walks by
Thanks everyone! I will take any advice to keep me in my new home. Does citronella even work?

Old 04-30-2019, 10:28 AM

1,599 posts, read 1,408,019 times
Other options are using the various versions of Thermacell.

They have small portable devices you can clip onto you pants to larger stationary lantern type devices.

They create a zone of protection that really works! No need to spray repellants on your skin or clothes.

https://www.thermacell.com/

Old 05-01-2019, 06:26 AM

That is what the screen people told me. I Googled it and can't find any solid info to back it up though. We put the no see um screen on the sides and regular on the top. My wife has not been bothered by them since.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte