Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2018, 09:20 PM

1,956 posts, read 1,498,522 times

Advertisements

We are over 65, and would like to know the pros and cons of Punta Gorda vs. Port Charlotte. If you were to choose one, which one will you choose, and why. Thank you,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2018, 07:10 AM

6 posts, read 28,420 times
Port Charlotte and Punta Gorda are both great towns, both have plenty of homes with Waterway access, but a couple of things that I believe makes Punta Gorda stand out is it's historical District (brick paver streets, charming homes) and the fact that it actually has more of a small-town feel with little cafes nestled all along its Main Street, Saturday morning farmers markets, tons of community events, and walking and bike paths ( if you're into that sort of thing). Port Charlotte is headed for some changes though, the new multimillion-dollar Sunseeker Resort construction is already underway, Port Charlotte has a mall, tons of other strip malls and restaurants. I hope this helps you! ��

Old 04-20-2018, 01:50 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,410,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sasie123 View Post
We are over 65, and would like to know the pros and cons of Punta Gorda vs. Port Charlotte. If you were to choose one, which one will you choose, and why. Thank you,
Basically, whichever side of the Peace River Bridge you are on, one is nicer than the other. Especially Punta Gorda Isles which is on the south side of the bridge. Port Charlotte is more commercialized and more residential developments. One is also more expensive than the other property-wise. All of it is Charlotte County, however.

Old 04-22-2018, 01:58 PM

3,979 posts, read 10,488,808 times
I live in Port Charlotte but the best location for you would depend on your wants, needs and price range and if you are planning to rent or buy. I personally wanted to move to Punta Gorda but with the restrictions and flood insurance costs, I decided to stay put in Port Charlotte. I like the look and feel of Punta Gorda better, but Port Charlotte has everything I need and use so it is much more convenient for me. My parents live in Punta Gorda and are constantly traveling into Port Charlotte for one thing or another - doctor appointments, shopping in stores that Punta Gorda does not have, etc.

Do you want to be on boatable water and pay for flood insurance? Are you looking to live in a community with amenities such as golf, pool, fitness and social activities? Do you want a single family home in a non-deed restricted community? Do you want to live in a condo or villa? What type of lifestyle are you looking for?

Punta Gorda has a walkable downtown area and active night life, Port Charlotte does not. But it is a quick drive from Port Charlotte to get to Punta Gorda if you want to enjoy the walkable downtown and the parks along the Peace River. Punta Gorda Isles and other areas of Punta Gorda are governed by the City of Punta Gorda and have more restrictions than most of Port Charlotte which is govermed by Charlotte County.

Port Charlotte has more shopping and restaurants and two hospitals. Punta Gorda has one small hospital. Port Charlotte has the Charlotte Sports Park, the Port Charlotte Town Center Mall, the Charlotte County Fairgrounds with different types of activities almost every weekend. Punta Gorda has a lot of historical sites. Port Charlotte is closer to the gulf beaches.

Both areas are seeing growth. Here are some links.

Charlotte County Parks events/activities - https://www.charlottecountyfl.gov/se...-Programs.aspx

Charlotte Harbor Convention and Visitors Bureau - https://www.charlotteharbortravel.com/

City of Punta Gorda - City of Punta Gorda, FL | Home

Last edited by TamRE; 04-22-2018 at 02:14 PM..

Old 04-28-2018, 12:13 PM

35 posts, read 83,482 times
Default Port Charlotte or Punta Gorda, doesn't matter which one.

I say it doesn't matter which city you live in.... it is all like one big city, just different sections. They are connecting each other. The southern half of Port Charlotte is like living in Punta Gorda because it is only a short drive to the downtown area of Punta Gorda. You can enjoy both when you live in one. Shopping is generally better in Port Charlotte on US 41 because there are more stores... living a little better in Punta Gorda but more expensive, too. I would say Punta Gorda is a little quieter and a little more upscale. As far as housing goes, Port Charlotte is cheaper with a 2/2/1 house going for about $1,200 mo and a 2/2 or 3/2 house for $150k. A reasonable amount more in Punta Gorda. Check out zillow.com for both rental and purchasing prices by neighborhoods and cities. People in both places are very nice and very friendly. Whichever one you choose, you picked about the best area in the USA as far as bang for your buck, friendliness of people, climate, beauty, and good seafood! I would say you would get the best of both if you chose to live in either the northern half of Punta Gorda or the southern half of Port Charlotte. Good luck! You will love it here!

Last edited by ActionMgt; 04-28-2018 at 12:15 PM.. Reason: add housing info

Old 05-02-2018, 12:07 PM

306 posts, read 386,924 times
Default Well said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActionMgt View Post
I say it doesn't matter which city you live in.... it is all like one big city, just different sections. They are connecting each other. The southern half of Port Charlotte is like living in Punta Gorda because it is only a short drive to the downtown area of Punta Gorda. You can enjoy both when you live in one. Shopping is generally better in Port Charlotte on US 41 because there are more stores... living a little better in Punta Gorda but more expensive, too. I would say Punta Gorda is a little quieter and a little more upscale. As far as housing goes, Port Charlotte is cheaper with a 2/2/1 house going for about $1,200 mo and a 2/2 or 3/2 house for $150k. A reasonable amount more in Punta Gorda. Check out zillow.com for both rental and purchasing prices by neighborhoods and cities. People in both places are very nice and very friendly. Whichever one you choose, you picked about the best area in the USA as far as bang for your buck, friendliness of people, climate, beauty, and good seafood! I would say you would get the best of both if you chose to live in either the northern half of Punta Gorda or the southern half of Port Charlotte. Good luck! You will love it here!
That's a great synopsis of the area, well said! That's also why we picked PC vs. PG, closer to the gulf beaches, affordable on-water lots.

Old 05-04-2018, 08:42 AM

1,291 posts, read 172,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
Basically, whichever side of the Peace River Bridge you are on, one is nicer than the other. Especially Punta Gorda Isles which is on the south side of the bridge. Port Charlotte is more commercialized and more residential developments. One is also more expensive than the other property-wise. All of it is Charlotte County, however.
Except I'm north of the Peace River but my mailing address is Punta Gorda, not PC. Anyone know why this section east of the 75 (Deep Creek) is considered PG and not PC? I think I heard an explanation once but can't remember. Thanks.

As for which is better, I like where I live - Deep Creek. Real nice community and cheaper than Punta Gorda south of the river. Very handy access to the freeway, shops, etc. There's no real "border" between the two. They're two towns right next to each other, no empty space between. Pick the neighborhood that has or is more convenient to what's important to you. Where we are, the beach isn't very close - about a 40 minute drive, but then we don't care for the beach.

Old 05-04-2018, 11:16 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,410,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Rocky View Post
Except I'm north of the Peace River but my mailing address is Punta Gorda, not PC. Anyone know why this section east of the 75 (Deep Creek) is considered PG and not PC? I think I heard an explanation once but can't remember. Thanks.

As for which is better, I like where I live - Deep Creek. Real nice community and cheaper than Punta Gorda south of the river. Very handy access to the freeway, shops, etc. There's no real "border" between the two. They're two towns right next to each other, no empty space between. Pick the neighborhood that has or is more convenient to what's important to you. Where we are, the beach isn't very close - about a 40 minute drive, but then we don't care for the beach.
Deep Creek is in "unincorporated Punta Gorda".

Old 02-22-2020, 08:42 PM

1,009 posts, read 721,083 times
digging this thread up as I find the posters were very informative.

Has Port Charlotte gone through any recent changes ?

can anyone elaborate on previous posts ?

Old 02-23-2020, 10:36 AM

122 posts, read 135,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Rocky View Post

We like Deep Creek too. Close to downtown PG and easy access to I-75. I only wish that Costco was a little closer
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte