Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2018, 02:29 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,822,304 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverchic View Post
Looks like we're all following the same plan, lol.

We were also told that we should switch residency to Florida from NJ to avoid the state income tax and it needs to be at least six months.

Also planning on switching to a nest thermostat and cameras inside the house to keep an eye on things.

I was wondering what you guys do about the toilets? I was told if you empty them, sewer gases would leak into the home. Not really sure if that's a thing or not but I can't imagine the ring if left with water in it for six months.

Thanks for all these great tips!
Make sure you check into NJ’s exit tax before making a decision. The new wonderful governor is making it much harder to leave.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2018, 02:31 PM

121 posts, read 148,453 times
I was audited from the State of New Jersey and this is what was required. States will want proof that you don't have ties to their state - they take it very seriously when you stop paying state income taxes. The first year you claim a different state residency and request a full refund from one state because you moved to FL with no state income taxes will throw a big red flag.

Documents to Support Claim of Florida Residency:

- Florida voter’s registration card
- Florida driver’s license
- Florida vehicle registration
- Proof of a homestead exemption in Florida. (Required: document from the county tax collector demonstrating the application of a homestead exemption to the claimant’s primary residence.)
- Proof of permanent full-time employment in Florida for at least 30 hours per week for a 12 month period. (Required: pay stubs or W-2 form for past 12 consecutive months)
- Document such as a deed or other evidence of title to property used as primary residence, a homeowner’s policy, a title insurance policy, evidence of a property tax payment on the primary residence, or a lease of multiple years’ duration.

No single document shall be conclusive in establishing residency. Additional documentation, other than what is prescribed, may be requested in some cases. All documentation provided is subject to verification. Evidence of ties to another state may result in denial of Florida residency.

Old 10-14-2018, 03:16 PM

5,818 posts, read 12,624,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by josephp732 View Post
I was audited from the State of New Jersey and this is what was required. States will want proof that you don't have ties to their state - they take it very seriously when you stop paying state income taxes. The first year you claim a different state residency and request a full refund from one state because you moved to FL with no state income taxes will throw a big red flag.

Documents to Support Claim of Florida Residency:

- Florida voter’s registration card
- Florida driver’s license
- Florida vehicle registration
- Proof of a homestead exemption in Florida. (Required: document from the county tax collector demonstrating the application of a homestead exemption to the claimant’s primary residence.)
- Proof of permanent full-time employment in Florida for at least 30 hours per week for a 12 month period. (Required: pay stubs or W-2 form for past 12 consecutive months)
- Document such as a deed or other evidence of title to property used as primary residence, a homeowner’s policy, a title insurance policy, evidence of a property tax payment on the primary residence, or a lease of multiple years’ duration.

No single document shall be conclusive in establishing residency. Additional documentation, other than what is prescribed, may be requested in some cases. All documentation provided is subject to verification. Evidence of ties to another state may result in denial of Florida residency.

Yep, what Joe said. The reason is they're a bunch of scammers doing this. I personally know about 20 that have secondary residences and come for a couple of months or just a few weeks a year and they claim to be florida residents to avoid paying out of state taxes. I'll be there soon enough and can sleep better at night knowing that I'm not committing tax fraud. I remember Derek Jeter from the Yankees getting caught.

Taxman: Derek Jeter cheated New York out of millions - NY Daily News

www.nydailynews.com/.../taxman-derek-jeter-cheated-new-york-millions-article-1.25...
  1. Cached
  2. Similar

Nov 16, 2007 - Yankees shortstop Derek Jeter cheated New York out of millions in taxes by claiming he lived in Florida when he really was living it up in Manhattan, state officials say. ... The tax case is the first blemish on Jeter's squeaky-clean reputation, though there's no suggestion of ...Missing: committed ‎| ‎Must include: ‎committed

Old 10-14-2018, 07:10 PM

98 posts, read 96,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaRay35 View Post
Make sure you check into NJ’s exit tax before making a decision. The new wonderful governor is making it much harder to leave.
And don’t forget to leave any Democrat voting tendencies behind unless you want Florida to turn into a similar cesspool of taxation and regulation.

Old 10-14-2018, 10:47 PM

121 posts, read 148,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaRay35 View Post
Typically if your home in New Jersey was your primary residence - then you are exempt from "NJ's Exit Tax".

In 2007 New Jersey passed a minimum 2% estimated income tax on the sale of property within the state by non-residents, paid at the time the property is sold. This tax generally applies to the sale of investment property or 2nd homes owned by non-residents and is simply a prepayment of their income tax for the current year.

This form is only to be completed by nonresident individuals, estates or trusts selling or transferring property in New Jersey. Tax payment is determined by multiplying the gain on the sale of the property by the highest Gross Income Tax rate of 8.97%. Gain is to be determined without taking into consideration any distributions during the taxable year to beneficiaries by estates or trusts. In no case can the payment be less than 2% of the consideration received. However, if you are a resident of the state or are selling your primary home you are exempt from the tax. You are able to file at closing a “SELLER’S RESIDENCY CERTIFICATION/EXEMPTION” which will allow you to avoid the tax.

In fact if you meet any of the following you are exempt:

- A resident taxpayer of the State of New Jersey and will file a resident gross income tax return and pay any applicable taxes on any gain or income from the disposition of this property.

- The gain from the sale will not be recognized for Federal income tax purposes.

- The property being sold or transferred is used exclusively as your principal residence.

- A mortgagor conveying the mortgaged property to a mortgagee in foreclosure or in a transfer in lieu of foreclosure with no additional consideration.

- The total consideration for the property is $1,000 or less and as such, the seller is not required to make an estimated payment.

- The transfer is by an executor or administrator of a decedent to a devisee or heir to effect distribution of the decedent’s estate in accordance with the provisions of the decedent’s will or the intestate laws of this state.

Old 10-15-2018, 04:52 AM

207 posts, read 260,587 times
Quote:
Also planning on switching to a nest thermostat

Do some more research before you buy Nest. I have two of them and have many times been tempted to smash them with a hammer. They are total JUNK in my opinion. They are programmed by people that probably have never used a thermostat or even know anything about HVAC.
They do not even know the definition of OFF. One of their pieces of junk ran my heat up north and wasted about 200 gal. of fuel oil when it was set to OFF. The place was drained and winterized. Long story.

Old 10-15-2018, 02:19 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,887,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davephan View Post
We’re thinking of starting snowbirding soon, but we are thinking of staying in Florida for at least six months plus one day for tax reasons. Is it possible to avoid paying the Wisconsin state income taxes if you change your residency to Florida and stay away from Wisconsin two months longer? Four months away from the frozen tundra would be enough to escape the worst weather of the winters. However, the savings not having to pay the state income taxes could be a significant savings, depending on how much income taxes you pay.

The multiple camera system is a great idea. I was thinking about installing a camera system in our Minnesota house and our future Florida house. But running the wires through the walls for the cameras would probably be pretty difficult. I don’t know if the quality of the wireless cameras is good enough. We have a couple of portable SmartCams, but they aren’t reliable long term. We do have a remote control thermostat, which is really nice for monitoring the house remotely. I also have a remote control IP power switch, which could be used to remotely power cycle a camera system.

I think it might be a good idea to add a low temperature sensor, and some water leakage sensors to the security system.
Four months more away from the frozen tundra sounds like a GREAT plan, but we're in a band up here, and will be gigging again by May or so. We'll play next summer/fall, and put our house on the market. We're hoping to snowbird again next year, IF we can fly a place cheap enough and small enough to buy up here. Either way, snowbird or move full time at the end of 2019, this big house we're currently in is going to have to go next summer. State taxes are bad enough, but we're also in one of the highest taxed counties, Dane.

Old 10-15-2018, 03:39 PM

190 posts, read 259,102 times
Quote:
Also planning on switching to a nest thermostat and cameras inside the house to keep an eye on things.
Kathy - Before investing in cameras and smart devices, make sure that your Internet connection will support them. My understanding is that you'll need higher down/up speeds for cameras and such. I have a friend in central SGC that has a Ring doorbell/camera that works fine but another one street over who can't get fast enough service to upload video. We don't have many options for Internet here (CenturyLink DSL or HughesNet satellite) and speeds are all over the place. While CL advertises 25Mbs here, it's rare - We've never seen anything above 10Mbs down and .2 up, and have neighbors who only get 4 down. Their system is pretty much at capacity and not all new builds can connect (next door to us had to go satellite for Internet). There is no cable here.

Old 10-16-2018, 09:45 AM

1,790 posts, read 1,413,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40DeSoto View Post
Thanks guys! We were wondering about shutting off the water and electric completely, good to know that's an option. Great to have the heads up on the bugs!
Not a snow bird either, a Floridian for 45 yrs, but as a rule of thumb when leaving the homestead on a trip for more than 24 hrs, I shutdown the H20, I also shut down all the accordion shutters and in any month of the year I raise the A/C so that it doesn't run more than a few times a day.

I leave a key with a neighbor for the daily mail and for lowering the thermostat the night before we come home to a nice comfortable Temp.

Old 10-17-2018, 03:59 AM

38 posts, read 40,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pau Hana Daz View Post
Kathy - Before investing in cameras and smart devices, make sure that your Internet connection will support them. My understanding is that you'll need higher down/up speeds for cameras and such. I have a friend in central SGC that has a Ring doorbell/camera that works fine but another one street over who can't get fast enough service to upload video. We don't have many options for Internet here (CenturyLink DSL or HughesNet satellite) and speeds are all over the place. While CL advertises 25Mbs here, it's rare - We've never seen anything above 10Mbs down and .2 up, and have neighbors who only get 4 down. Their system is pretty much at capacity and not all new builds can connect (next door to us had to go satellite for Internet). There is no cable here.

Thanks Daz! We're planning on visiting with our new neighbors when we come for the lot clearing to see what's actually available on our block. I keep hearing how bad the internet/cable is down there do you think they will resolve it any time soon? I saw the excitement over Comcast (we have it in NJ) but that doesn't sound like it's happening in SGC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte