U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2019, 12:54 PM

25 posts, read 15,812 times

Advertisements

OK, SeaRay35 & Twowilldo! Thanks for the info! We will be in PGI June 1 - 5 to have a look around. Thanks for the help!

Also, I noticed that some homes have had a huge jump in property taxes and I assume that is why some of them are for sale. Any ideas on that?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2019, 02:41 PM

2,607 posts, read 2,533,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowilldo View Post
Right. It is a canal maintenance fee that is a separate assessment, paid concurrently with our property taxes. I don't believe that I referred to it as an HOA fee, but maybe I didn't clarify that well enough.

Trulia, Redfin, Zillow, Realtor.com... all of those online real estate search sites have some issues with information.

Yes the civic association has been really great, we like it too. Have met some super people since moving here through the various clubs and activities.
Nah you didn’t refer to it as HOA just wanted to clarify for Dave. Enjoy PGI it’s a great area!

Old 05-18-2019, 02:45 PM

2,607 posts, read 2,533,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave4881 View Post
OK, SeaRay35 & Twowilldo! Thanks for the info! We will be in PGI June 1 - 5 to have a look around. Thanks for the help!

Also, I noticed that some homes have had a huge jump in property taxes and I assume that is why some of them are for sale. Any ideas on that?
The only time you can see a “huge” jump in property tax is when a long time homesteaded house is sold and the home is reassessed. Fl law caps annual increases on homesteaded property’s.

https://www.pcpao.org/SOH.html

Old 05-18-2019, 06:32 PM

1,600 posts, read 1,191,671 times
Quote:
Orange County, CA for the most part is OK. Actually, the best thing about OC is the weather. But, it is too dry and that's not a good thing. People (neighbors) here don't seem to socialize as much as they do in the South or Midwest. Everyone here is so busy trying to make a living and keep up with the Jones'. OC is and has been a mostly conservative area, but it is now changing and moving to the left somewhat. I can't say the same for the Los Angeles area. LA is mostly Hispanic and much poorer overall than Orange County. Sure, LA has its wealthy, but they are the minority. Surprisingly and contrary to what you are saying, most Californians are implants from other states. Calif was a boom destination in the '60's and '70's, but for the last several years, companies and families are leaving here in a big way, a lot of which head to Texas. Calif can keep their "Sanctuary" cities and all the problems that go along with that. The far left State government continues to ruin this State with excessive restrictions, laws, and taxes. Thus, many companies and individuals find life more easy and attractive in other states. I certainly don't think we have much social cohesion in this area. Anyway, social cohesion is low on my list of priorities. But, from reviewing some of the PG forums, there are lots of social activities available in PG.
Thanks for the input. It is very much appreciated.
My college buddy lived in Chino and decided to bug out. He is conservative and just cant take the left lean in the overall state.

I suggested California but surprised me by building a new home in South Carolina. He will be way ahead of the game from the proceeds of the CA house to what he paid for the SC house.

From talking with him, it seems there is a growing trend of folks in CA bugging out.

Enjoy PG!

I am further south but sure like south west FL over south east Fl!

Old 06-06-2019, 11:20 AM

Default Punta Gorda

After visiting Punta Gorda for a week, I am very disappointed. Here's why:

1) The town lacks any decent shopping centers, major department stores, and has very limited restaurants. PG needs these things to help with the tax revenue and modernize the city. Are the city Fathers discouraging new business in this town to protect the little Mom & Pop shops there? Maybe the lack of full-time residents is the problem. The core of the town is practically a blight and not attractive IMHO.

2) The town has a lot of vacant commercial property and empty lots. This is not conducive to a beautiful, thriving community.

3) Fisherman's Village has a few nice touristy shops, but overall it is a dumpy structure that is badly in need of rebuilding. Harpoon Henry's included.

4) The Sunseeker Development across the River will probably cause PG to deteriorate even further. I found areas of Port Charlotte more attractive due to nicer restaurants, major shopping malls, warehouse stores, and most of the things that are desirable.

5) PGI: It is very disappointing to see so many homes that DON'T keep up the yards and landscaping. I've seen better yards in the Arizona & California deserts. There are a lot of newer, modern homes with nice green yards and landscaping, but there are also many homes that are older, not well kept, in need of major refurbishing, and have very poor landscaping and yards. This, and the high property taxes of newly purchased property make this area undesirable.

I will continue my search in SWFL, but not in Punta Gorda. Thanks to those who have provided information to me. I think PGI has seen better days. I'm sorry my review couldn't be more positive.

Dave
Yorba LInda, CA

Old 06-06-2019, 12:30 PM

390 posts, read 331,869 times
My thoughts in red

Quote:
After visiting Punta Gorda for a week, I am very disappointed. Here's why:

1) The town lacks any decent shopping centers, major department stores, and has very limited restaurants. PG needs these things to help with the tax revenue and modernize the city. Are the city Fathers discouraging new business in this town to protect the little Mom & Pop shops there? Maybe the lack of full-time residents is the problem. The core of the town is practically a blight and not attractive IMHO.

If those are the things that are important to you, you should have mentioned them in your initial post and/or followed along on the other threads about Punta Gorda. They are all pretty clear that Punta Gorda doesn't have that kind of stuff and that's part of its charm. I think of it as a pretty quaint place and that's the draw for a lot of people because it has a much more laid-back feel to it.

2) The town has a lot of vacant commercial property and empty lots. This is not conducive to a beautiful, thriving community.

Not sure where you were at in town because the parts of Punta Gorda that we visit seem mostly built up. There's been a lot of new development in the last few years and we still see new things going in. Perhaps you should have visited parts of North Port and NW Cape Coral to see how built up Punta Gorda actually is in comparison.

3) Fisherman's Village has a few nice touristy shops, but overall it is a dumpy structure that is badly in need of rebuilding. Harpoon Henry's included.

I like Fisherman's Village. It has an old-school Florida kind of vibe to it. Charming. If you think it's dumpy, then this whole area of the Gulf Coast is definitely not going to be compatible with your vision of how you want a place to be. You might be better off on the other side of Florida, but not here with the exception of inland sections of Bradenton/Sarasota and Naples where expansion has led to everything being more shiny and new.

4) The Sunseeker Development across the River will probably cause PG to deteriorate even further. I found areas of Port Charlotte more attractive due to nicer restaurants, major shopping malls, warehouse stores, and most of the things that are desirable.

I would have to disagree. I think Sunseeker will probably be a good thing for both Punta Gorda and Port Charlotte. And I'm still puzzled about the "more attractive" statement. I suppose that you mean attractive in an amenity sense and not aesthetics because I feel it's the opposite. I see most of Port Charlotte as being pretty run down and vacant.

5) PGI: It is very disappointing to see so many homes that DON'T keep up the yards and landscaping. I've seen better yards in the Arizona & California deserts. There are a lot of newer, modern homes with nice green yards and landscaping, but there are also many homes that are older, not well kept, in need of major refurbishing, and have very poor landscaping and yards. This, and the high property taxes of newly purchased property make this area undesirable.

Can't speak too much about this as I don't spend much time in PGI nor tried looking for a home there. Again, you can visit other surrounding areas in FL and probably agree that PGI rates better than most with the exception being newer communities with good HOAs.

I will continue my search in SWFL, but not in Punta Gorda. Thanks to those who have provided information to me. I think PGI has seen better days. I'm sorry my review couldn't be more positive.

Like anything in life, there are some things/places that just aren't for everyone. As I said above, this is definitely not the area for you from the sounds of it. You might want to check out parts of Bradenton along the Manatee River (i.e., the Inlets or Tidewater Preserve) or head down by Fort Lauderdale, West Palm Beach, Miami, etc. as those areas will all have more access to nicer restaurants and major shopping centers.

Old 06-06-2019, 02:21 PM

5,801 posts, read 12,044,890 times
Good luck elsewhere. I think/thought the opposite as I moved here from the east coast of florida. We checked up and down both coasts and landed here. We love the small town feel and numerous canals.

Old 06-06-2019, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLKitties View Post
My thoughts in red

Thanks for the reply! I wasn't trying to attack PG, only expressing my thoughts after visiting there.

I've lived in So Calif for the last 58 years and I'm accustomed to a little more vibrant community, not a sleepy one. To each his own, as they say! Maybe I would like Venice, Sarasota, etc. Who knows, maybe next time! Meanwhile, headed to Hawaii! Aloha!

Old 06-06-2019, 09:25 PM

98 posts, read 80,770 times
I’d take anyplace in Florida over So Cal, any day of the week.

Old 06-07-2019, 09:15 AM

112 posts, read 119,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotEnufGarage View Post
I’d take anyplace in Florida over So Cal, any day of the week.
California has become unlivable economically except for the very wealthy. As people flee California they bring the same sort of attitudes and beliefs that ruined California with them and then want to make whatever new place they setting in more like California.

Take Portland as an example.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte