Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 10:03 AM

245 posts, read 1,171,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big House View Post
We are looking for a home in the Punta Gorda Area.
Please list any information about the area that you can.
Is there nice entertainment?, dining?, night life?, etc. . .
Is there much crime?/
I have heard that it is an elderly area.
Please fill in the blanks.
Thanks,

lots of old people, no night life, very boring and peaceful at the same time, low crime..If you are young, then you may not fit in..good luck

Old 06-18-2009, 06:27 PM

57 posts, read 76,126 times
Two condominium complexes in Punta Gorda Isles have been built with Chinese dry walls: Magdalena Gardens, Luxury Vivante Condominium Complex

I read this in : NewsInferno, June 3rd 2009, Wall Street Journal.

Old 06-24-2009, 05:42 PM

6,103 posts, read 15,088,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samjune2009 View Post
Two condominium complexes in Punta Gorda Isles have been built with Chinese dry walls: Magdalena Gardens, Luxury Vivante Condominium Complex

I read this in : NewsInferno, June 3rd 2009, Wall Street Journal.
Wow! I didn't know that! I drive by the Viviante Condo project, man it looks nice on the outside! That has to be a huge problem!

Old 07-29-2009, 06:38 AM

Quote:
I read about the fish market closing down.
Does Punta Gorda have any Farmer's Markets? Are there any road side fruit and vegetable stands in Punta Gorda? How about in the area?
I was reading through the thread to see if there was any other information that could be posted here because a lot of people read this tread, and it has helped a lot of people learn about PGI, and a number of readers have bought homes here.

As a follow up to this question, there is a Farmer's Market that opens every Saturday Morning at the Corner of Taylor Avenue and Olympia. They have several stands that sell fruits and vegetables, Peace River Seafood has a great fresh seafood stand there, they have a french gormet stand that sells wonderful crepes, and a cheese stand that represents one of the deli's that is accross the street. They have a wonderful stand that is run by "The Soup Lady" she sells soup in quart mason jars and refunds a dollar when you bring it back. She must have 30 different wonderful home mades soups. She is a must try!! They also sell fresh baked goods, coffees, orchids and flowers, and there is a butcher shop. Oh! And we made friends with one of the local musicians that plays there on Saturday, so you have live music being played while you browse.

My wife and I ride our bikes there. It is awesome!

Old 07-29-2009, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLBob View Post
The fish market that shutdown was called Laws. I used to buy my blue crabs there. There is a place on route 17 called Peace River Seafood, their prices are higher but they are retail while Laws was wholesale. Miss Cindy down in Placida is a good place to get fresh caught fish. I'ts a bit of a drive from Punta Gorda, about 1/2 hr. There are also 2 places in Placida to get crabs.
Now that Laws has closed I'm flagging down crabbers and buying right off the boat.

I also wanted to follow up on this post. I went out for a bike ride last week, and Laws Seafood is open. It is right off Tamiami trail, and right around the corner from Laisley's Marine Store. They have a lot of great seafood there! I also have purchased seafood at the Peace River Seafood Market, and eaten at their restuaruant. I recommend them as a place to go and get some nice seafood and soup. They have a nice deck outside where they serve you. Its pretty cool!

The Mystic is a shrimp boat that docks on the west side of Fisherman's Village. If you get there early (around 6:00 AM) you can buy fresh caught shrimp right off the boat. They also sell crabs cheap too. They told me that they consider them a by-catch (not really what they are after), but save 'em and sell them cheap.

Old 08-08-2009, 12:24 PM
Pye

67 posts, read 188,284 times
Great thread Big House - thanks for all the information.

Old 08-10-2009, 01:36 PM

3,566 posts, read 3,733,266 times
Quote:
I also wanted to follow up on this post. I went out for a bike ride last week, and Laws Seafood is open. It is right off Tamiami trail, and right around the corner from Laisley's Marine Store. They have a lot of great seafood there! I also have purchased seafood at the Peace River Seafood Market, and eaten at their restuaruant. I recommend them as a place to go and get some nice seafood and soup. They have a nice deck outside where they serve you. Its pretty cool!

The Mystic is a shrimp boat that docks on the west side of Fisherman's Village. If you get there early (around 6:00 AM) you can buy fresh caught shrimp right off the boat. They also sell crabs cheap too. They told me that they consider them a by-catch (not really what they are after), but save 'em and sell them cheap.
What do they charge for the shrimp right off the boat?

Old 04-20-2010, 01:31 PM

1 posts, read 4,130 times
i"m from up north and am looking to purchase a property in fla to rent out for a few years before i retire. are there any areas/neighborhoods you would recommend?

Old 04-20-2010, 05:12 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,922,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loobee View Post
i"m from up north and am looking to purchase a property in fla to rent out for a few years before i retire. are there any areas/neighborhoods you would recommend?
It really depends on what you like to do. Are you a boater? Do you want to live on the water? If so, then Punta Gorda Isles would probably be a good spot for you. Most of PGI is within walking/biking distance of the small, quaint downtown area.

Along the harbor on various nights they have bluegrass and jazz jams. Then the city of Punta Gorda almost always has something going on every weekend-The Art Festival, Peace River Seafood Festival, Punta Gorda Air Show, The Hibiscus Festival, etc.

Punta Gorda was ranked one of the best places to retire by US News and World Report: Best Healthy Places to Retire: Punta Gorda, Florida - US News and World Report

Good luck with your search!

Old 04-21-2010, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loobee View Post
Hi loobee,

Welcome to the board. I started this thread a long time ago when I was first learning and exploring the idea about moving to this area. I learned a lot of things along the way. The posters here helped me a ton! I would be happy to tell you more.

There is a tremendous amount to learn here. I wrote kept a summary post (which was deleted). If you're interested I can direct message it to you.

There are a lot of great towns and places to buy a home down here, and the prices are really low. It is impossible with all the constant termoil and stories in the news about more foreclosures hitting the market to determine if the market has reached the bottom or not, but I think it has. It is bouncing on it now, and maybe just maybe beginning to improve. So, if you're serious about buying and holding for a while, I would say . . . think long and hard, . . . take your time (the houses you don't know you want yet - will still be here when you're ready), . . . and ask a lot of questions here, and do a lot of reading.

I would go to the Sarasota board, we have a lot of great posters there, including myself and SoFLGal and others, and will be happy to reply to any questions you have. Our board has a wealth of information for those that are looking to move to SWFL (which is a wonderful place to retire).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte