Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 01:12 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,914,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by enuf is enuf View Post
SoFLGal- You are correct, I did get off on the wrong foot and I apologize to everyone for the tone of my first post. This has been a very heated topic that has had so much time and energy put into it. Most people, myself included, are very concerned about the public site and the conclusion of this controversy. The public site is a priority item and is being addressed. MFR has assured us that the site will be up and running for the public sometime in August. This is a huge undertaking and requires more than just flipping a switch to turn it on. In the meantime, the Charlotte Assn has reinstated a public access site which IS current data as it is being fed by the FAR MLS Advantage. The previous site you were accustomed to using was serviced via Innovia, the old software vendor, and it had to terminate when the contract with Innovia terminated. Our Assn owned the website address but the feed came from Innovia; today the feed is coming from elsewhere and it is current information. That site will be available to the public until the new site is operational.
That's fantastic if they are feeding the old site with updated info. I think that's a huge step in the right direction and I really appreciate that board reinstating it.

I would rather have this post/thread as more of a "think tank" to throw around ideas than to have it a place where we are pointing fingers.

I think that this fourm is very valuable and gives us a unique inside glimpse as to how the public views different things-the new MLS, the market, etc. I may not always agree with what everyone's point of view which many people on this board have seen in my postings but I'm always willing do discuss it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2008, 01:18 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,071,773 times
If a writer on this forum took the time to read the posts, they would discover that most of the posts are written by the public. We, the buyers and sellers are having a problem 'dealing with it'. And evidently so are 700 of your 1200 associates having a problem 'dealing with it'. And how many of the 1200 knew that the charlotteareamls would be disabled.
The 'bigger is better' mantra just doesn't cut it. If bigger is better to have 35,000 eye balls looking from Orlando to Punta Gorda, how about having 100,000 eye balls with a Tallahassee to Jacksonville to Key West, the whole 'state of Floridamls'. This way any person holding a real estate license in the state would have an opportunity to get their piece of the action with a referal fee and all those other under the table kick backs that RE people get from the cash cow. Yes, we read about it every Sunday in the Herald Tribune real estate section.
The writer is also suggesting that his fellow associates are lazy and not so smart a group of people that found it a really difficult, time consuming task to switch from viewing listings on a Charlotte site to viewing listings on a Venice site. Or an agent in Orlando viewing the Sarasotamls site. So are the agents in Ocala or Arcadia disadvantaged because they're not part of the big tent. Now an agent in Cape Coral with a client in their office looking for a home in Burnt Store Village can no longer look for a listing in zone P111 of the charlotteareamls. They have to use a site that is 200 miles away that offers ALL the listings in zip code 33955. Don't tell me bigger is better and I should 'deal with it'. Dealing with the mid fl mls is the same as if the Charlotte County School Board having to deal with Tallahassee on everything they do.
We 'the public' [as referred by the big wig in Orlando that was dismayed to learn that 'the public' was viewing charlotte area listings] want all information, not just the 'it's a doll house, trust me, it won't last long at this price' garbage that is on RE web sites [that is if you can find them] We get annoyed doing google searches to find RE sites that tell us nothing, including realtor.com. You know the sites where half the page if office info showing the 10 year old photo of the agent. Space that could actually be used to tell info about the property.
Before you get our name, address, phone #, e-mail address and your 6% for a few hours work, we want information. We want information before we burn $4 a gallon gasoline. We don't want to look at property that you select. We want to see what we want to see.
I don't think the super duper mid-florida site will be any different or better than what is currently being used or the garbage that is being used by RE offices. A computer nerd designing a program who is renting an apartment hasn't got a clue as to what information the public would like to see on a real estate program.
It seems that there have been too many plumbers designing the electrical system and needs of the house with the roofer having to give his approval.
AND - NOBODY has said - Yes, 'the public' will have access to the site.
If the buying public is turned off and having a problem 'dealing with it' and we don't buy a house, you don't get your 6%

Old 06-25-2008, 01:27 PM

2 posts, read 7,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enuf is enuf View Post
SoFLGal- You are correct, I did get off on the wrong foot and I apologize to everyone for the tone of my first post. This has been a very heated topic that has had so much time and energy put into it. Most people, myself included, are very concerned about the public site and the conclusion of this controversy. The public site is a priority item and is being addressed. MFR has assured us that the site will be up and running for the public sometime in August. This is a huge undertaking and requires more than just flipping a switch to turn it on. In the meantime, the Charlotte Assn has reinstated a public access site which IS current data as it is being fed by the FAR MLS Advantage. The previous site you were accustomed to using was serviced via Innovia, the old software vendor, and it had to terminate when the contract with Innovia terminated. Our Assn owned the website address but the feed came from Innovia; today the feed is coming from elsewhere and it is current information. That site will be available to the public until the new site is operational.
Yes it is now working as such, but completely useless to a serious buyer like me...no maps, no diferentiation between PG & PGi, tiny photos, vague locations, no detail.Useless.

Do the people who dreamt this up really think it will help sell houses!!???
Not to me it won't.

Old 06-25-2008, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunvilla View Post
Yes it is now working as such, but completely useless to a serious buyer like me...no maps, no diferentiation between PG & PGi, tiny photos, vague locations, no detail.Useless.

Do the people who dreamt this up really think it will help sell houses!!???
Not to me it won't.

Hi sunvilla, did you click on the MLS number? It brings up more/larger photos. It's not terrific, like you said but at least you can view accurate/current information.

Here's the status of what's happening right now. The Realtors/agents must have their votes in for or against the new system by noon tomorrow. Everybody is emailing everybody to ask for their support on whatever their stance. Many of the emails on both sides have been something you would see in a grade school disagreement. Pointing fingers, making accusation, etc.

I did just received an email from a Realtor in favor of the new MLS that I thought was well written and actually explained a point of view. She did give me permission to post so here it is:

To all agents in the Punta Gorda, Port Charlotte, Northport Board of Realtors

My name is xxx and I am writing to you in regards to the upcoming vote.

I have been in the past, totally against this new MLS system but I have come to realize that, come what may, we will have to deal with it. I too wish that we could go back to Inovia, but this cannot happen.

If the vote goes in favor of doing away with this MLS and the board, we are facing a major problem.

First, the Brokers of the large Real Estate office may elect to leave the board and join Englewood board which by the way, uses Mid Florida MLS. Some of the Brokers at the meeting already stated this. We, as agents will not be able to stay with the PCN Board unless their broker become has a secondary membership which does not seem likely.

Secondly, if this vote goes in favor of doing away with Mid Florida, we will not have a working MLS for some undetermined time. Also, the agencies that are left will not be able to afford to take up the slack of the lost dues and the end results will be the closing of the PCN Board of Realtors and the loss of people who have strived to make this Board what it is, “Great".

Regardless of what “BIG BROKERS” may have started this is a mute point at this juncture. One way or other, most of the agents will have to learn this new system either with the present board or with the Englewood board.

As far as the Board of Directors, they are all volunteers, not paid, no favors. I know quite well how thankless the job of being on any committees can be but some people feel obligated to give back to their profession.

As far as Mr. Mike, he has taken up the sword like Don Quixote fighting windmills. But, I feel the cause is lost. If nothing else, he finally got the agents to take notice of what is going on in their board. I sometimes wonder if all the agents that came to the recent meeting had come to the original meetings about this MLS would we be in this position now. I am just as guilty, for I too did not take the time to see this MLS back in Sept

Please, do not make this another platform to send email back and forth. This is only my opinion. I am very worried for all of us weather your for or against. Please think this over and by all means ‘VOTE’ You have until 12:00 P.M. tomorrow. So, the choice is yours. Think seriously about what direction we are headed.

Old 06-25-2008, 02:37 PM

Here's an email I received from the Realtors that are against the new MLS system-trying to be fair to both sides:

I am getting calls all day long about our MLS options.

I will relate facts as I know them.

Question One. We want to pass amendment one, but how long will we be without an MLS?
I can’t give you a definite. Only the board of Directors can answer that. But, if we are without one so are they. I can’t imagine them, faced with no MLS, sitting back and letting us be without an MLS any longer than absolutely necessary.

I think a day or a week AT MOST. Which would be painful but, a Hurricane could knock us out of business longer than that.

There are some big offices who have voted almost unanimously FOR amendment one. They said, and these are Top Producers, we don’t have a functional MLS now, so what’s the difference.

Another broker, said being down a week is ok with him but not six months.

I don’t think being down a day is acceptable. But a short pain for a long term future of a membership responsive board and MLS we still have control over may be worth it.

Question Two. Will Innovia take us back?
The Marketlinx letter and the board are saying it is not a viable option. What viable means in this instance I don’t know.
The data is sitting there in Innovia. I know that Marketlinx people while telling me they were not allowed to talk to me, said, Innovia NO. But… If we pull out of MFR MLXchange without MFR is an option.

That being said, Marketlinx could, as far as mechanics goes, export our data out of MFR as a text file and import it into an empty shell copy of the database they have for MFRMLS. Or copy it to a different server, delete all the non-PGPCNP data and leave us in the same structure. Down time would be almost none. MFR said they would cooperate to make the transition.

Likewise there are other MLS providers. Fidelity, Rappitoni, Galaxy, FlexMLS and more. They say there times from zero to being up are 30 to 45 days and Aris said, they’d be even faster and they are internet based now.

SO do you really believe Marketlinx will turn us away? I don’t.

Question Three. What if the Directors all resign enmass?
I had not heard that one. But if that does happen and I doubt it would. I think we have an emergency meeting elect new officers and go forward. There are some past directors where we could have some experienced people in office and I am sure NAR and FAR would advise us through the crisis.

It would be a little bumpy but we’d survive and come out the other side.

Question Four. What if the 9 Brokers pull out and join Englewood?
That is the funniest one. They would be foolish to think all their agents will leave their home town and go with them. How many would they lose? Many. And I assure you the first Broker who breaks ranks with them and starts recruiting the other eight’s agents. They’ll all stop dead in their tracks. They may join both but they won’t leave us. Too much business here.

If I were a BIG DADDY broker, nearing retirement, and wanted to maximize the sale price of my brokerage. I’d want to make everyone go into MFRMLS so I could sell an established footprint to a big Orlando or Tampa broker for maximum dollars to walk away with.

PRE-CHECKED Ballots=================

If you faxed one of the blurred copies of the ballot with X’s already on it. I would believe anyone who signs a ballot with the “X” already in the boxes, surely would notice that and their signing it would be affirming their agreement with the ballot as it was. Had they not agreed they surely would not sign it.

Please recast you vote with the word PROVISIONAL written on it, make sure it is so big they can’t miss it. And if you need a clean ballot email me and I’ll send you one.

Please email Jack Hackett and thank him for his speedy opinion so that we may salvage your votes. Your dues dollars are working hard for you. I am not being facetious.

Additionally,
Now I’ve gone from being called a Madman to likened to the incumbent President of Zimbabwe, perhaps I should run for President or a Directors seat on the board. Maybe I’m ready now.

Correct me if I’m recalling my history incorrectly but, didn’t Idi Amin Dada use to put, “My regime recommends a vote AGAINST democracy.” on all of his ballots too. But I may be wrong, perhaps even he was not THAT bold.

I do question why:
1. It is acceptable for our board to put their advice to vote against it right on the ballot.
2. Anyone asking a question about voting at the board has a Director or officer swoop down on them to tell them how they should vote. This has been witnessed by multiple witnesses on numerous occasions.
3. The President appointed a committee of inspectors from the same usual group with ties so close to the directors and officers rather than attempting to give the appearance of an unbiased committee.
4. With the Directors being the final say on any voting disputes makes it tough since the 2nd Amendment clearly gives them a conflict of interest.

So in closing, vote your heart not out of fear and threats.

Old 06-25-2008, 04:26 PM

960 posts, read 1,686,640 times
Thanks for the all information SoFLGal.
At this point, I think the link that was provided (reinstated by the Charlotte Assn.) by enuf is enuf, will have to do. On the plus side, it does have current MLS listings. On the negative, it has only a zip code search and many listings don't have an address. Makes it a guessing game, unfortunately. Of course, I preferred the old zone system, like V99 or P113, since I am only interested in a couple of subdivisions.
I have a feeling it is going to be quite some time before all of this is sorted out. I do hope that all sides (MFRMLS, the Charlotte Association and the Venice Area Realtors Association) truly consider the public in their decision making process. Since it is my impression that they have not. Members of the concerned public may not be their customers now, but they are the potential customers of the future.

Last edited by Carbondated; 06-25-2008 at 04:42 PM..

Old 06-25-2008, 04:33 PM

Hey everyone, you can always go through the Florida Living website, where I believe they are pulling the Charlotteareamls.com stuff from. Anyway, this website is virtually the same but I know know it's updated immediately when we enter a listing and it should have everyones current and update listings. There aren't too many choices here but again at least you can see some of the info without having to go through a Realtor's website.

Property Search

Old 06-25-2008, 05:57 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,071,773 times
A few things have gotten lost in the mls battle. Namely, name identification/recognition and local autonomy.
We live on what is known as 'the suncoast' as part of southwest Florida. Millions of dollars have been spent on worlsd wide advertising to let people know it. That we are unique and different from other areas in the state.
When we ran out of phone #'s with 813 area code, it was decided that Manatee, Sarasota and Charlotte counties were unique enough to have our own 941 area code, the center of the stae east of us becoming 863 and Tampa keeping 813. Orlando being 2 area codes away is 407/321
Over many years RE boards thought everything was working fine with local autonomy anf keeping membership dues locally. But it seems that the 'bigger is better' crowd knows better and has taken control.
Can you imagine this when you tune your TV to channel 7 ABC40 local news and hearing 'Good evening, we've partnered with a TV channel in Orlando and we will now be known as the mid Florida news channel. So, here's what's happening on the mid florida news today'.

Old 06-26-2008, 08:36 AM

Here's another message I just received and thought I'd pass it along. I think this is very positive:

To all members of the PGPCNP Association of REALTORS®.

It’s with great pleasure that I announce that the public web site (www.charlotteareamls.com) is up and running. Also I have included an e-mail from Marty Hunt President of Mid-Florida outlining how it came about and to let you know that a new consumer web site will be up and running from Mid Florida. Read the details below. Don’t forget, agents, make sure you set up your free web page provided by MFRMLS. Hope this works well for each of you.

Will keep you up dated as I get the information.

Bill Dryburgh
President

EMAIL FROM MARTY HUNT, President of Mid-Florida MLS

Dear Bill:

I have received emails from several agents over the past week or so about a consumer web site that you had for your members prior to the conversion to MLXchange. I understand this has created some issues for several of your members and also for some of their customers who were using the site. I'm not sure how many of your members used this site instead of promoting their office or agent web sites. I've always promoted my web site (consumers go to my site) but I understand some of the members and consumers used the www.charlotteareamls.com web site. I am pleased that we were able to assist you in getting that site activated. Also, keep in mind that every agent who uses an IDX link is promoting all IDX listings for every other member! There's great distribution and power by having thousands of your fellow agents using these IDX links to widely promote one another's listings.

MLXchange has an individual web site and IDX link to all listings which is available to each member. They can put the IDX link on their current agent web sites or broker sites or they can point their MLXchange web site to any URL they currently use. I understand that the agents will be able to create links to personal and office listings too when the next release of MLXchange (4.3) is available. I don't have an exact date but I think it's relatively soon and will get that information for you.

MFRMLS has never previously been involved in a consumer web site for any of our thirteen Shareholder Associations. As you may know, it is still quite controversial whether an MLS (or an Association) should have a consumer (public) web site because many Brokers, franchises and individual agents see this as competing for traffic with their personal or company sites. I understand both sides of the discussion but extensive surveys around the country show the Realtor® community isn't in agreement about public sites. I see consumer sites as something that is growing in acceptance and I think the Realtor® community is realizing we'd rather be the consumer's source for our listings instead of allowing Zillow, Trulia, Cyberhomes, Lending Tree, Realtor.com, etc. to be the entry point!

MFRMLS is currently developing a consumer site and it will be available (and completely optional) to each Association. It is in development by MarketLinx and the target date is August, 2008 for phase one. The design and specs I've seen are impressive but the basic concept is to deliver interested consumers directly to the agents and brokers when the consumer decides they want to engage a Realtor®. It will have no advertising (except Realtor® branding), no upsell for "enhanced listings", no charge to agents, no lenders, and no cost to the Associations (but several have indicated an interest in promoting the site for their members and consumers). The leads will automatically populate into MLXchange on the agents home page so the integration function will be great for the agents. It is our intention to provide a world-class consumer web site and MFRMLS will pay for design, development and ongoing hosting. This is not a small undertaking and the cost isn't cheap but our Board of Directors is behind this initiative. The Houston Association of Realtors provided over 600,000 leads to their membership so it has been done successfully by that Association. If we can provide hundreds of thousands of leads to our members that will be another positive benefit of MFRMLS in addition to the numerous other tools included in the subscription (MLX Wireless, MongoFax, ShowingTime, MLXchange Professional Version, iMAPP's new version, Rate Plug).

Bill, MFRMLS is focused on a positive relationship and we are here to assist you and your members with any tools we can provide to help the agents and brokers be successful and profitable. I would welcome the opportunity to speak with you and your leadership regarding the consumer web site product or anything else we can do. Feel free to share any of this information with your membership as you see fit. Have a pleasant evening!

Marty

Marty Hunt
2008-2009 MFRMLS President
Direct: (407) 869-7779
Toll Free Direct: (888) 412-8681
Email: Marty@MartyHunt.com
MLS Web Site: www.MFRMLS.com

Old 06-26-2008, 09:13 AM

960 posts, read 1,686,640 times
Thanks again SoFLGal.
Is there any way to find out if they are going to reinstate the old zone system (V99, P103, for example) search tool? Or perhaps have a subdivision search tool? So many listings on the reinstated charlotteareamls.com have no addresses. At the very least, if they don't want to give an address, perhaps they can provide the subdivision name.
With over 1200 single family home listings, for Venice alone, zip codes are far too broad to use.

Last edited by Carbondated; 06-26-2008 at 09:24 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte