Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2009, 04:58 PM

32 posts, read 133,635 times

Advertisements

My wife and I will be looking for a home in the Punta Gorda area in May as employment is there. We both love homes with plenty of character, which are rare as hen's teeth in SWFL (with some exceptions, I know). Luckily, Punta Gorda has quite a few charachter/historical homes.

I've seen a couple historical homes that seem like great buys on Riverside Ave just east of 75 along the river. From Google earth it looks like there are plenty of big, well-kept homes around there, especially right on the river. But a few blocks away there's a junkyard and what appears to be a big industrial area.

Anyone have an opinion on the area? Is it like the East FTM/Palm Beach Blvd area?

It seems like anything historical in downtown Punta Gorda is $300k+, so we're looking inland. Any recommendations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2009, 05:12 PM

1,380 posts, read 5,928,027 times
I don't think there is much in the "historical" nature along riverside drive. the homes on the river are on larger estate size lots and yes right next door there are mobile homes and commercial properties.
There is a very nice 1926 built home on the market in Venice right now, it would need some work but it is very charming.

Old 01-10-2009, 12:37 PM

32 posts, read 133,635 times
Thanks FLBob.... will keep an eye out for it.

Old 01-13-2009, 09:09 AM

7,511 posts, read 22,918,024 times
The historical area of downtown Punta Gorda runs off Retta Esplanade down to Maude over to Henry St then to 41 and back up Cross St and over back to Retta Esplanade. There are some really cool historical homes in that area. The are a few neat older homes along to the river on Riverside Dr.

Are you talking about the home at 5201 Riverside for $215K? It is a bank owned home. Looks like a very cool home but I would investigate the area a little more. Sometimes that side can have light industrial mixed in with the homes. You won't find that in the historical area I mentioned above.

I know of a home on Goldstein St in the historical section for around 255K. It was built in 1891 and is on the National Historic Register. My sister-in-law lives on Goldstein St and says she will never move.

Old 01-13-2009, 03:38 PM

6,103 posts, read 15,085,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFLGal View Post
The historical area of downtown Punta Gorda runs off Retta Esplanade down to Maude over to Henry St then to 41 and back up Cross St and over back to Retta Esplanade. There are some really cool historical homes in that area. The are a few neat older homes along to the river on Riverside Dr.

Are you talking about the home at 5201 Riverside for $215K? It is a bank owned home. Looks like a very cool home but I would investigate the area a little more. Sometimes that side can have light industrial mixed in with the homes. You won't find that in the historical area I mentioned above.

I know of a home on Goldstein St in the historical section for around 255K. It was built in 1891 and is on the National Historic Register. My sister-in-law lives on Goldstein St and says she will never move.
SoFLGal, I think you should teach both the history and geography of SWFL, as well as human relations. You are so in touch with everything down there, and so willing to help others learn about the area. I love reading about houses and places that are on the Historic Register. My nephew, who is an eagle scout, paid for and installed a National Historic Sign for a battle that was fought along the Genesee River in Western New York. He appreciates that enough to make it his Eagle Scout project. When they dedicated it, a number of elected officials came out for it, as did a number of civil war re-enactors.

Old 01-27-2009, 09:16 PM

1,210 posts, read 3,283,467 times
other items in the area that might interest you

- Boca Grande on the other side of the bay, especially history museum in the lighthouse, especially on a weekend
- Edison/Ford museum in Fort Myers
- Veranda Restaurant in Fort Myers, lunch outside
- 6 mile slough park, Fort Myers, early or late
- Ding Darling drive through park, Sanibel
- Koreshan State Historic Site, Estero (Surprising!)
- I assume you already know Fisherman's Wharf, Punta Gorda, sunset dinner at the end
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte