U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2008, 10:09 AM

934 posts, read 1,925,984 times
Question Do you think Port Charlotte is a good place to live?

Just wondering what you think about Pt. Charlotte and Charlotte County in general.

Why would you buy in that area or why not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2008, 10:53 AM

8 posts, read 23,830 times
I've lived here for 10 years now and love it. I lived in Ft Lauderdale for 13 years and loved it there too. But they are night and day different. It depends upon what you are looking for and why you're moving. It is much more relaxed and laid back here and the surrounding natural area and harbor are very beautiful - again "laid back."

Old 08-10-2008, 11:26 PM

152 posts, read 490,943 times
I retired from the military and moved down there because that was where family was at. While in the military, I was primarily stationed in the Chicago, IL, Norfolk, VA, and the Pensacola, FL areas. Of the three, the only one I really enjoyed living in was Pensacola. When I moved down to Port Charlotte, I found it to be very similar to Pensacola in a lot of ways. Prior to joining the military, I lived in the metro Orlando area, and I definitely liked the Port Charlotte area better than the Orlando area simply because it was a lot more laid back, less crowded, etc.

Unfortunately, the reason that I like Port Charlotte contributed to the reason I ended up leaving, to take a better paying job out of state. While in Port Charlotte, I had a couple of decent jobs there, and along with my military retirement, I was able to have a decent quality of life and have enough disposable cash so as that I could get out and about whenever I wanted to. I wanted more disposable cash though, and with what I had training in the military for, there weren't many job opportunities that would allow me to have a higher paying job.

With that said, I'd have to say that the worst thing about Charlotte County is the lack of decent paying jobs, and the seemingly lack of desire displayed by the local politicians in bringing decent paying jobs into the county. Unless you have some sort of degree or are a small business owner in the service industry, it's hard to make a decent living there. That's what I found out and eventually I ended up taking a job out of state and moved away. Whenever I get a chance to though, I go back down to Port Charlotte and always look forward to doing so, not just to visit and be with family again, but also just to enjoy being in Charlotte County again.

Old 08-11-2008, 09:09 AM

934 posts, read 1,925,984 times
It is very relaxing there compared to the East Coast, Ft. Lauderdale area. Lately, it has been getting a bit more crowded than it use to be. We lived there for 7 years but moved because Hurricane Charley scared the heck out of me. Two of our children are still in Florida, one in Punta Gorda and one in Delray Beach.. If we decide to snowbird we will have to figure out which coast to be on!

Old 08-11-2008, 09:11 AM

6,743 posts, read 12,421,678 times
I would have to agree with Jeff. Definitely secure a job before moving down here. I lived in Port Charlotte before my children were born and moved to North Port to take advantage of the Sarasota county school system (Pine View School). I don't know if that's a concern for you or not. PC school system isn't bad I just knew I wanted my children to attend Pine View and you have to be a resident of Sarasota county.

Both towns are nice and have the good and bad points. There is virtually no waterfront property in North Port and there is waterfront property in Port Charlotte. The beach in PC is yucky- it's more of a bay and not a beach. There is no beach in NP. They are both about 25 minutes to the closest beach. Most of NP is newer homes built after 2000. PC is mostly (or a large part) of the homes are built in the 80's & 90's. North Port is a newer community with newer stores, etc. NP has no hospital yet and PC has two hospitals.

I would say the biggest draw back for the whole state of Florida is the job situation. I know it's not just Florida though.

I am native Floridian and have lived in every town from Bradenton to Port Charlotte. I love living here and would never think of living anywhere else

Old 08-15-2008, 09:50 PM

2 posts, read 9,091 times
Don't move to Port Charlotte!!!!

Old 08-16-2008, 08:23 PM

2 posts, read 15,871 times
Port Charlotte is a great place to live if:
a. you are a retiree
b. are a doctor, nurse, or have another way to earn a high income

Otherwise, this a great place to visit, but not to live. Most of the jobs in this town ( and southwest florida) do not pay well, and the schools are of poor quality. If you are an educated, ambitious young person or a family man thinking of relocating, Port Charlotte is not the place to be.

Old 08-19-2008, 07:11 AM

317 posts, read 870,779 times
I live west of Port Charlotte in Englewood. We go shopping in Port Charlotte or out to eat there along 41 & Veterans Pkwy area mostly.

I have children in the public schools here. I have taught in the schools here and have done some real estate in the area. It is a great place to live. The weather is nice (as long as you don't mind heat and air conditioning!). The beaches are clean and scenic. The traffic is not bad (off of 41) and although it is depressing seeing restaurants and other businesses close down, I don't think that means doom for the area forever. The economy will eventually turn. Overall, this is a desirable area tucked in between two larger cities (Ft. Myers & Sarasota) with clean air, no smog, access to I-75 and several airports.

Money is great "anywhere" you live. I don't make much, but you can have a good life here, and I am enjoying every minute of it and plan to keep trying!

Old 08-19-2008, 08:29 PM

2 posts, read 15,871 times
I think Englewood beach is the most underated beach in all of Florida--I have been there dozens of times and I'm glad it always fails to make the list of Florida's best beaches (so it doesn't get overcrowded).

That being said, I stand by my remarks on Port Charlotte not being the ideal place for young people to relocate. I'm glad you are a fellow educator like myself, and while we don't make a lot of money, we do get paid more than minimum wage. Most of the private sector jobs in southwest florida (and Florida in general) pay little, and any young person with a degree or skills should consider the big cities like New York, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Austin, Houston, Atlanta, Etc. There is a book out called "Whose Your City" by Richard Florida which makes a strong point: only in certain areas of the country can young, ambitious, and creative people maximize their potential.

I don't want to dump on Port Charlotte--my parents still live here and I've been down here at least a dozen times. The pace IS relaxed compared to the rest of Florida, and you can drive to Miami or Orlando in 3 hours.

My only suggestion is if you were to choose to move here, MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A JOB LINED UP!

Old 08-21-2008, 09:26 PM

1 posts, read 7,864 times
I've read all the previous suggestions about the Port Charlotte area and was wondering if I can also get some feedback from readers? I'm a single mom, finishing up my Bachlors degree, and currently looking for an area in florida that I can raise my son in. A "friend of my families" has an apartment located in the Port Charlotte area and has agreed to rent this apt to me. I was wondering if this would be a good move for my son and I or would another location be more beneficial for us? I desperately want to be close to the ocean!!!!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte