Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Relocating to Florida for healthcare job in Punta Gorda, seeking advice on where to live, Sarasota Florida, outskirts of Sarasota, cost of living

Old 12-29-2008, 12:31 PM

25 posts, read 61,577 times

Advertisements

Hello all, and happy holidays! My DH has a job opportunity in the health care field in Punta Gorda but I don't think we want to live there. He'd commute up to 45 minutes, so what communities/towns would you suggest for us to consider living in? Through a previous thread we found that we think we would love the Sarasota area with everything it offers including cultural events, restaurants, shopping etc but is that too far? Are there
Sarasota outskirt areas that we should consider?
Thanks so much for any ideas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2008, 01:22 PM

6,103 posts, read 15,085,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddogmom1 View Post
Hello all, and happy holidays! My DH has a job opportunity in the health care field in Punta Gorda but I don't think we want to live there. He'd commute up to 45 minutes, so what communities/towns would you suggest for us to consider living in? Through a previous thread we found that we think we would love the Sarasota area with everything it offers including cultural events, restaurants, shopping etc but is that too far? Are there
Sarasota outskirt areas that we should consider?
Thanks so much for any ideas.
I just bought in Punta Gorda Isles, it has beautiful canal front homes with boating and gulf access. You should check that area out. It is elderly but is turning over pretty quickly, there are plenty of younger people moving into the area.

It is between Fort Myers and Sarasota, so I think it is nicely locate to two nice hubs, and between two nice airports if you do much travelling.

If you like more city life then Sarasota is a good choice, but that is your 45 minute commute. Venice is a nice area as well close to Sarasota, and has a nice beach and old SWFL feel. North Port is a nice Suburban Area which has a lot of shopping areas, and a nice school system.

Are you looking to purchase or rent.

Old 12-29-2008, 02:10 PM

25 posts, read 61,577 times
Thanks for the reply, BH. Well, we will most certainly rent for awhile so that we get the "lay of the land." I should add that we don't have school aged children so schools are important only as far as making home values solid. Really looking for area with more of a sophisticated feel. Beach access not crucial, would rather put money towards a nicer neighborhood.

Old 12-29-2008, 04:26 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,918,024 times
I would have to agree with BH on his recommendation of Punta Gorda Isles. You also might want to check out the Sarasota area but it would be quite a drive down to PG everyday. The drive time would be around an hour depending on where in Sarasota you're going and the time of day.

Good luck with your search!

Last edited by SoFLGal; 12-29-2008 at 04:34 PM..

Old 12-29-2008, 04:31 PM

6,103 posts, read 15,085,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddogmom1 View Post
Thanks for the reply, BH. Well, we will most certainly rent for awhile so that we get the "lay of the land." I should add that we don't have school aged children so schools are important only as far as making home values solid. Really looking for area with more of a sophisticated feel. Beach access not crucial, would rather put money towards a nicer neighborhood.
Then I would say that renting is a good idea for a while. The home purchase deals are tremendous right now, who knows where the bottom will be, but they really aren't going to go much lower than they are now, and interest rates aren't going to get much better either. The banks and the government are going to work hard at this point to preserve the home values where they are.

Renting will give you more flexibility though so that you can really learn about the areas surrounding where your DH is going to be working, and get a feel for how traffic/travel will influence things.

You've found a good site, if you can provide more information concerning what you're looking for there are a lot of people here that will be happy to help you, and they are from all over SWFL.

What is your timing? When are you coming down / to the area?
What other interests do you have?
Do you like Art? Are you an artsy/craftsy person?
Do you like music? Symphonic, Rock, Blues, Jazz, Country?
They play music a lot at the park in Punta Gorda, and they have concerts all around the area. There are lots of things to do.
Do you like nature walks? Birding? Hiking? Kayaking? Boating? Fishing?
I'd say, Flirting? But I won't. LOL
There are a number of towns within 30-45 minutes from Punta Gorda, and travel up and down RT 75 and Tamiami trail isn't too bad. I'm sure you'll find something nice that will fit what you're looking for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte