Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2009, 11:33 AM

11 posts, read 69,759 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

So...I hope I am posting this in the correct area - not too familiar with Florida. I am planning a vacation to Manasota Key and have narrowed our lodging down to a few condo options, but I want to be sure we have a nice variety of things to do and places to eat. I have attempted to do some research online regarding Manasota Key and "things to do", but came up nearly empty handed. I read of the beaches and nature trails; just wondering if there is shopping, sunset cruises, just some nice easy-to-do activities for 4 adults (two of us are in our 40's, the other two in their 70's). Walking on the beach is great, but can we really do that for 7 days? Any activity suggestions appreciated. Also, are there any places to dine on this island?

Thank you kindly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2009, 12:13 PM

3,645 posts, read 7,145,991 times
you are going to struggle finding places to eat on the 'island'. Theres the gulf view grill which has great views but to be honest when we ate there we were very disappointed. There is also a bar type place which has 'live' music and typical cheapy food.

other than that its back over the bridge, even then within a few minutes its limited. Mamas is a grat cheap italian , there is a reasonable chinese take away (Ko's kitchen), Dennys but no bigger names. For an Olive garden or red lobster its Port Charlotte (20 mins) . Venice has an Outabck (again 20 mins).

we stayed on Manasota Key beach once and although the beach is great there isnt a lot to do

Old 09-11-2009, 02:02 PM

1,008 posts, read 2,633,866 times
Manasota Key is for living not vacationing
Suggest Venice as a base and then visit SK MK and LBK

Old 09-11-2009, 02:15 PM

Thanks for both replies - helps in my decision making. I haven't even considered Venice. I'll check it out. If anyone has further ideas or suggestions, I'm all ears.

Kind regards.

Old 09-11-2009, 03:03 PM

1,380 posts, read 5,926,240 times
Places to eat while at Manasota Key

Try the White Elephant pub which is has a tiki hut on the lemon bay side of the island.
The lock and key restaurant which is just across the street from Englewood beach

Heading off the key but still in Englewood you could try the zydeco grill which is on rt 775

if you continue down 775 you will hit Placida, you'll find several head boats to go out for a bit of off shore fishing, or to charter a guide for a day of backwater fishing.

The Fishery restaurant is right on gasparilla sound. Is located right there with the charter boats in Placida.

You could also look into staying on Gasparilla Island for your vacation, the town of Boca Grande can provide for a nice weeks vacation, good beach,you can get around on bike, roller blades, golf carts, or just walk. There is a small downtown. At the far end of the island is a gulf front restaurant called South Beach great location and good food. The Loose Caboose is a good place for lunch, the fish will be fresh caught by locals.

Venice is a nice place to vacation, fun downtown. PJCarneys is right on Venice ave. They often have live entertainment. Cafe Venice also on Venice Ave has good food and a good wine bar. Of course there is the Fishing pier by Sharkys restaurant. A favorite activity is searching for sharks teeth along the beach.

If I could suggest taking a day to explore the Ringling estate and art museum in Sarasota. Another day plan on going to Mote Marine aquarium.

There's plenty to do in the area, I'll could go on and on but I'll let some of the other frequent posters share some of their favorite places. o heck ... You can go to Siesta key and roam siesta village. or head to Lido key and do St. Armands Cir. of course you'd have gone through there when you went to Motes. And try to hit the drum circle on Nokomis beach for sunset on a Wednesday or Saturday...All this and more within less than an easy hour drive from Manasota Key.

Enjoy your vacation

Old 09-12-2009, 12:56 PM

Great info. FLBOB ! Really appreciate it. I briefly checked into places to stay on Gasparilla Island, but for some reason focused on Manasota Key. Guess I'll expand my search a bit more, thanks to your great suggestions. So glad I decided to post my original question. We love beach walking, but can one really do just that for a full week ???

My search continues. By the way, how is the weather in this area the end of January, first half of Feb? We want to avoid the spring-breakers as much as possible, which is why we selected Jan-Feb to vacation in Florida.

Old 09-12-2009, 01:13 PM

1,380 posts, read 5,926,240 times
The weather is a bit ify end of Jan begining of Feb. If we have a cold front then we can have low temps overnight in the 40s and daytime highs in the 60s or between the fronts nights in the 50s daytime highs in the 70s. Little chance of rain, although some times the cold fronts will bring a line of showers.

Most people coming from the northern tier states in the winter find the weather great, while I'll be wearing a coat and long pants and shoes. Normally I'm in shorts and flip-flops.

Old 09-12-2009, 02:49 PM

6,103 posts, read 15,080,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalew View Post
Great info. FLBOB ! Really appreciate it. I briefly checked into places to stay on Gasparilla Island, but for some reason focused on Manasota Key. Guess I'll expand my search a bit more, thanks to your great suggestions. So glad I decided to post my original question. We love beach walking, but can one really do just that for a full week ???

My search continues. By the way, how is the weather in this area the end of January, first half of Feb? We want to avoid the spring-breakers as much as possible, which is why we selected Jan-Feb to vacation in Florida.
Kalew,
Welcome to the board!
FLBob is right! He it both places I'd recommend for a vacation. Your older couple would probably love the beach for a few days, but you'll definitely be looking for other things to do.
My first suggestion would be Siesta Key! The town is really nice, the beaches are awesome, and there are some really nice restaurants in town! Try the Blase Cafe! And there are some great breakfast places too! Plus as Bob noted you can head into Sarasota and St Armand's Circle for some shopping and cocktails too. Siesta Key is what caused us to decide to find a place in SWFL!
Boca Grande and Gasprilla Island is a beautiful place too. The beach is spectacular! It is within a block from town as well. And as for the bikes and golf carts, you can rent both, and the town has a couple trails designed for them. Also, there are some magnificent Banyan Trees! You have to see them!
Where are you from?

Old 09-12-2009, 11:44 PM

3,645 posts, read 7,145,991 times
we love Boca/gasparilla plus its only 15 mins drive from our home

Old 09-13-2009, 04:43 PM

More great advice. We are from Michigan (near U of M), so temps in the 60's and 70's will be nice and toasty compared to our high of zero during Januray/Feb (last winter we had several below zero days and several feet of snow).

It seems our biggest hurdle is lodging. We would really like to stay in a condo on the Gulf, low-rise, or a single family residence on the beach. Suppose this is why I have been focused on Manasota Key - low-rise buildings and relatively uncrowded beaches. I have been checking out rentals on various forums, but Manasota seems to have what we really want as far as a condo rental. Does anyone have any suggestions on low-rise beachfront lodging on either Gasparilla Siesta ? Please send me a personal message (2 bed, 2 bath, beachfront please).

Another question...I assume the roads to the various islands are tolled. Any idea where I can find out how much the tolls are? (one small negative to staying on Manasota Key, especially since we'll have to go "mainland" for many meals, entertainment...)

Thanks again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte