U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2009, 07:10 PM

25 posts, read 29,269 times
Default Punta Gorda Isles vs Port Charlotte

Have been lurking for some time, preparing to make a move to FL from Ohio next year. Own an IT company and work from home. Employment and location/commute isn't an issue.

The canal homes in the Edgewater Dr area of Port Charlotte seem to be similar to Punta Gorda Isles (looking from the internet). Can someone tell me the differences. Any other (sailboat canal) areas to look at? I will be making my first visit next month.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2009, 05:25 AM

6,674 posts, read 11,747,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marinergeek View Post
Have been lurking for some time, preparing to make a move to FL from Ohio next year. Own an IT company and work from home. Employment and location/commute isn't an issue.

The canal homes in the Edgewater Dr area of Port Charlotte seem to be similar to Punta Gorda Isles (looking from the internet). Can someone tell me the differences. Any other (sailboat canal) areas to look at? I will be making my first visit next month.

Thanks
Here are a few of the differences:

Port Charlotte has to maintain their own seawalls and if you live in PGI the city maintains the seawalls for a small fee. There's also quite a difference in the uniformity of the homes in PC vs. PG. Since PG is deed restricted most of the homes look pretty similar. In PC you may have a little shack next to a very nice home.

Some of the things that you need to look at if your are considering sailboat water are: the depth of the water, time it takes to get to open water and if there are any bridges out. This is one of the ways that we determine value of the land.

Good luck with your search!

Old 11-13-2009, 07:17 AM

1,381 posts, read 3,453,673 times
One of the main differences is that Punta Gorda Isles is deed restricted while the sailboat section of Port Charlotte is not. So the look and feel of the neighborhoods will be different. Since the best water gets built on first, in both locations the quick out, deep water, will tend to have older homes.

Most of the sail boat canals in Punta Gorda Isles will provide a controlling depth of 5' at mean low tide, while on the Port Charlotte side some canals will have more shallow controlling depths. If your looking around Harbor Dr in PC the SE side will have deep water while the SW side has some shallow water by the beach park. The canals around Grassy point section will have good water.

There is sailboat water in South Gulf Cove, the community does have a lock which can delay your travel to/from open water. The north east portion of SGC has the most developed property and the quickest out. The water in SGC is sweeter than in PGI and PC so bottom growth is less of an issue. With the lock the water depth is not affected by the tide.

There is some sailboat water along Lemon Bay, look at Cape Haze west and the state streets off of Placida road. The controlling depth here will be more like 4'.

There are also communities like South Bay in Osprey that have a yacht basin.

Old 11-16-2009, 06:52 PM

1,053 posts, read 1,783,816 times
Welcome marinergeek. We too are from the Midwest, Wisconsin, and we too were looking for lots in PGI/PC/PG and ended up buying a canal lot in PC just off of Edgewater last spring. We are one bridge out. We hope to build on it in a few years. As has been mentioned, in PC you have a real mix of homes. On one side of us is a pretty old house, tho someone just called us up here to tell us he was living next door to us, we're going to meet him when we go down next week. On the other side of us is a very nice new house, and then next to him, another empty lot. So it's a real mixed bag in PC, but like they say, location, location, location. IMHO, being able to get out into the harbor quickly is most important, for others, maybe not so much. But that's why we bought where we did.
If you go to our profile, you can see pictures of our lot. There are pictures OF our lot, ACROSS from our lot, and the view FROM our lot. Wherever you look, there are still great deals. Happy Hunting!!
mrs.cool

Old 11-16-2009, 11:32 PM

Thanks all, I have expanded my search to Lemon Bay, Cape Haze.

Newer homes seem to command a premium price, though there are exceptions. Buying a vacant lot and building might be a better option. One lot in PGI stated "impact and water fees are paid", can anyone explain those fees?

Nice lot mrcool28

I really am a "Geek"

Old 11-17-2009, 11:43 PM

351 posts, read 775,188 times
Lemon Bay also encompasses the infamous Grove City...

North of the bridge - Lemon bay looks very nice.

Cape Haze - ooooh la la - when I win the lotto.

Old 11-18-2009, 06:53 AM

5,617 posts, read 7,621,865 times
Quote:

Thanks
If you are thinking of buying in the Punta Gorda / Port Charlotte Area, you might want to visit a thread I started when I was looking here. I asked a ton of questions and received a lot of help! There is some funny stuff in there too.

Here is the link to it. I would read the whole thread.
http://www.city-data.com/forum/flori...st6307260.html

Old 11-18-2009, 07:24 AM

3,231 posts, read 4,582,917 times
Quote:
Thanks all, I have expanded my search to Lemon Bay, Cape Haze.
I'm on Lemon Bay, on Manasota Key. There are many homes for sale here, including the one directly next door to me. The house was built in the 50's, it's directly on the water, has a dock (in need of serious repair) but it also has a boat lift on the little inlet behind us. It's a 2/1 with a garage and they've dropped the price drastically within the last month. It's now listed at $699K - back in May the listing price was $895K. LMAO! Ridiculous for an older home in need of repair!

Old 11-19-2009, 12:13 PM

13 posts, read 15,497 times
[quote=marinergeek;11657616]Thanks all, I have expanded my search to Lemon Bay, Cape Haze.

You might also consider Burnt Store Isles. We just bought a home there and really like the neighborhood, more consistent than PC, but less pricey than Cape Haze, I think. It is supposed to be sailboat water, no bridges. However, my understanding is that is can be a bit shallow at low tide......have to watch that! We have a swing keel that does not draw much, so I think it will be OK. there are certainly some large sailboats in the neighborhood. Anyway, good luck and happy hunting.
Nancy

Old 11-19-2009, 02:59 PM

Quote:
It's now listed at $699K - back in May the listing price was $895K. LMAO! Ridiculous for an older home in need of repair!
I am having a hard time understanding fl waterfront pricing. Are there a number of properties that are still listed at height of bubble prices, and others listed to sell in todays market or what? Prices seem to be all over the map.

Big House, read your thread twice a while back. good stuff
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte