U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 11:18 AM

179 posts, read 262,390 times
Default Prepaid internet access in Punta Gorda. Is it possible?

Hopefully someone can help steer me in the right direction. Is there anything like prepaid- or pay-as-you-go internet in the US? I only have a prepaid mobile phone and do not have a SS no. I spend far too much time on the internet to always have to drive to an internet shop.

My South African phone is obviously on international roaming, but it may be expensive to use it for internet purposes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2010, 11:58 AM

5,689 posts, read 8,040,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasboy View Post
Hopefully someone can help steer me in the right direction. Is there anything like prepaid- or pay-as-you-go internet in the US? I only have a prepaid mobile phone and do not have a SS no. I spend far too much time on the internet to always have to drive to an internet shop.

My South African phone is obviously on international roaming, but it may be expensive to use it for internet purposes
You should dm MrSunshine. He has some kind of deal where he can pay and have it operational while he is here, and off when he leaves for a while. I think he uses Embark. I'm here most of the time so I just leave it up and running all the time.

Old 01-09-2010, 03:37 PM

320 posts, read 226,576 times
Embarq, now called Century Link, does have internet only and you can turn it off and on. Be warned that they are very difficult to deal with and seem to have no policy for 'internet only' service. Every time we called the answers were different, even from supervisors. Be very clear about what you want and verify. They send no written contract or agreement and are very hard to pin down. 'Internet only' service is not something they encourage but it is possible to get it. Ask for a special or the rate will be $50 per month. Usually they have a discount to $30 but not always and not if you don't ask. Good luck, we certainly need it.

Old 01-10-2010, 02:15 AM

2,597 posts, read 2,882,701 times
i have to say Embarq have been pretty good for us and even when we have had a small problem it has been dealt with pretty efficiently and quickly. Like one time we arrived back and had no phone line -it turned out that someone from the county installing a new water sewer had dug thru it and not bothered reporting it-Embarq sent some one out that day and they worked till it was done. even kept calling round to keep us posted on progress.

we are on their vacation service package phone + internet . 30 bucks each per month pro rated when we are there and using it. when we dont use it the phone is $9 a month service charge and taxes and the internet is no charge -the only thing i cant tell you is if they split the packages.

oh and we get email billing and pay online. all in all a pretty good service for us

Old 01-10-2010, 02:28 AM

2,597 posts, read 2,882,701 times
this just reminded me to activate our vacation package so i also checked the billing. they also charge $9.95 re activation on the phone whenever i liven it up but for us (we visit every 3 months approx) it still works out a good deal. plus when we move permanently i can add dish network which i did have on a prepaid basis until they cut that option !! and they are a nightmare to deal with as you always end up with an agent in Bombay !!!

Old 01-10-2010, 08:19 AM

Thanks, I appreciate all the help.

Old 01-18-2010, 12:18 PM

Still, no joy... I phoned their Port Charlotte branch (Century), but I'm not sure if the friendly gentleman gave me the correct information. Here in Cape Town you can buy a pre paid wireless connection and use it anywhere you go. Anyone that can be of assistance??

Old 01-18-2010, 12:28 PM

5,689 posts, read 8,040,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasboy View Post
Still, no joy... I phoned their Port Charlotte branch (Century), but I'm not sure if the friendly gentleman gave me the correct information. Here in Cape Town you can buy a pre paid wireless connection and use it anywhere you go. Anyone that can be of assistance??
I would call Verizon, and ask them if they can provide what you are looking for. They have one of the best "3G" networks, and when I was in one of their stores the have a totally free wireless computer system that you can take anywhere with you (except on a plane maybe). I don't know if you have to buy them or lease them, or how that works. I have a wireless computer but am tied to connecting to wireless modem access where its available and sometimes you have to pay to get on, or they are secured and you can't get on. I think with thier system you can be anywhere and you are connected directly by satelite. I'm not sure though. You can probably google them and email them as well.

Old 01-18-2010, 12:31 PM

Thanks Big House...

Old 01-18-2010, 01:13 PM

Default Pre-Paid Internet: Solution Found

PROBLEM SOLVED, THANKS TO YOU ALL, ESPECIALLY BIG HOUSE!!
Just spoke to Christopher from Verizon 1808 Tamiami Trl, STE D Port Charlotte, FL 33948 (941) 764-1400. They have a "Pre Paid No Commitment No Problem" package. You can buy a per day, per week or per month option and pick up on their satellites from home or where ever you are. This is exactly what I need. Options are: Per Day: $15 or Per Week: $30 or Per Month: $50. This may seem expensive, but seeing that I only visit there about three times a year, I guess this is the best option, or what do you think? http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/mobilebroadband/?page=products_prepaidmb
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte