U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Radio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2010, 04:03 PM

1,490 posts, read 1,913,149 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddySpice View Post
I don't listen to Dr. Laura, so I dont presume to know what sort of person she is, but I think it's a bad situation that she's having to give up her show. From the clips I heard when the story broke, she wasn't calling anyone the N-word, but just commenting on the word itself. If we can't even talk about racism without being branded racist, then how can we ever get over it?
The main thing to me is that she made a fool of herself. The caller was polite and composed; was calling about a personal situation with husband's family. Dr. Laura grabbed the stage, wouldn't let her get a word in edgewise, then had the nerve to scream at her to "let me finish". She had been the 1st to interrupt and go off on tangents about Obama and Black comedians. Dr. Laura had no reason to bring them up and start whining. She should have listened a bit more before she let her mouth overload her brain. She was the only overly sensitve person involved in the call.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2010, 04:34 PM

19,081 posts, read 19,863,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmellc View Post
The main thing to me is that she made a fool of herself. The caller was polite and composed; was calling about a personal situation with husband's family. Dr. Laura grabbed the stage, wouldn't let her get a word in edgewise, then had the nerve to scream at her to "let me finish". She had been the 1st to interrupt and go off on tangents about Obama and Black comedians. Dr. Laura had no reason to bring them up and start whining. She should have listened a bit more before she let her mouth overload her brain. She was the only overly sensitve person involved in the call.
It must have been very painful for her to listen to the tape of herself with that women. And then to know thousands, maybe millions, witnessed her making a complete fool of herself. Talk about eating crow. Geesh.

Old 09-01-2010, 03:16 PM

285 posts, read 557,357 times
As I understand it, Dr. Laura quit. She was not fired. She seems to have chosen to end her show.

So where do her First Amendment rights come in? The government did not force her to leave the airwaves. If the ratings for her show were really low and the sponsors began to bail, I can imagine that her show would be cancelled but that's not a First Amendment issue. She sounds awfully quick to claim to be some sort of victim.

Old 09-04-2010, 11:09 AM

16,584 posts, read 30,912,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YtownGuy View Post

So where do her First Amendment rights come in?
Her First Amendment rights are left at the door of the corporation she worked for, and rightly so.

Old 09-04-2010, 01:28 PM

1,490 posts, read 1,913,149 times
Yes, she can say anything she wishes, but sponsors are also free to withdraw their dollars and people are free to turn the knob when they hear her voice. I mostly liked her, as far as personal values and such. But her rude and cocky attitude got the best of her.

Old 09-30-2010, 12:52 PM

26,166 posts, read 12,733,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie
Maybe her technician did her a disservice by not using the dump button on her use of that word?
They should have known better with how P.C. people are these days!!

I didnt see anything in that transcript that needed an apology for...

I like Dr. Laura and think its quite stupid of her to give in so easily! (I dont know why she is to be honest)

Old 09-30-2010, 01:04 PM

44,682 posts, read 35,335,669 times
Wrong color and political affiliation to get a pass so she got "asked to quit".

<shrug>

Reminds me of the black sportscaster (ESPN I think?) that made slanty eyes with his finger and talked in a fake chinese accent.....and he is still working there.

In 10-20 years when there is increasing strife between "minority" groups I will just look back on the current double standard and shake my head.

It's either wrong or it's not.

Old 10-13-2010, 06:15 AM

2,327 posts, read 6,560,957 times
What Dr. Laura did was horrible. Her tone was such that I myself was upset by it. I'm glad she's leaving; she should have been fired!

Old 10-18-2010, 09:23 AM

1,975 posts, read 5,584,118 times
Yay! But about 25 years too late!!!!!!!
The woman's a idiot to say the least
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Radio