U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Radio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-18-2010, 02:57 AM

25,258 posts, read 15,233,630 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Dr. Laura Schlessinger says she's shutting down her 30-year-old syndicated radio program at the end of the year so she can get her "First Amendment rights" back.

Her announcement on "Larry King Live" comes just a week after she repeatedly used the N-word while taking a call on the air from a black woman who wanted to discuss her interracial marriage.
Dr. Laura Schlessinger ending radio show - Entertainment - Celebrities - TODAYshow.com

I think she's an awful person, and I'm glad to see her go.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2010, 08:08 AM

6,851 posts, read 9,879,208 times
I don't know if she is broadcasted in Dallas but she used to be. I kind of feel about her the same way I do about Judge Judy.....a love/hate thing.

Old 08-18-2010, 08:08 AM

1,769 posts, read 974,349 times
I don't listen to Dr. Laura, so I dont presume to know what sort of person she is, but I think it's a bad situation that she's having to give up her show. From the clips I heard when the story broke, she wasn't calling anyone the N-word, but just commenting on the word itself. If we can't even talk about racism without being branded racist, then how can we ever get over it?

Old 08-18-2010, 08:14 AM

28,114 posts, read 23,594,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddySpice View Post
I don't listen to Dr. Laura, so I dont presume to know what sort of person she is, but I think it's a bad situation that she's having to give up her show. From the clips I heard when the story broke, she wasn't calling anyone the N-word, but just commenting on the word itself. If we can't even talk about racism without being branded racist, then how can we ever get over it?
Agreed.
I've never liked her because she seems rude and presents herself as more qualified as she is, but she didn't call anyone the 'n' word...she was repeating what she heard on tv.

And btw, it really cheezes me off that I had to type 'n word' instead of being able to use the word. It's a word!

Old 08-18-2010, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
I don't know if she is broadcasted in Dallas but she used to be. I kind of feel about her the same way I do about Judge Judy.....a love/hate thing.
No way! No comparison! Judge Judy rules!

Old 08-18-2010, 08:17 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $84,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

14,574 posts, read 21,246,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
And btw, it really cheezes me off that I had to type 'n word' instead of being able to use the word. It's a word!
The owner of the site considers it to be a racist word and has put the word on the banned list. Racism is forbidden in the TOS at City-Data. This is not the place to debate the TOS.

Old 08-18-2010, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
The owner of the site considers it to be a racist word. Racism is forbidden in the TOS at City-Data. This is not the place to debate the TOS.
I wasn't talking about using the word on this site. I'm talking about our whole society's Harry Potter-esque 'that which will not be named' attitude towards a word.

Old 08-18-2010, 09:04 AM

1,769 posts, read 974,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
The owner of the site considers it to be a racist word and has put the word on the banned list. Racism is forbidden in the TOS at City-Data.
Talking about racism is not racism. Like I said earlier, if we can't even talk about it, how can we ever fix it?

Old 08-18-2010, 09:29 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $84,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

14,574 posts, read 21,246,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddySpice View Post
Talking about racism is not racism. Like I said earlier, if we can't even talk about it, how can we ever fix it?
You can post about it. You just can't post in a racist way here. That's an important distinction.

Let's get back to discussing Dr. Laura. Racism is a topic for the P&OC forum.

If Dr. Laura had been posting on City-Data instead of broadcasting on hundreds of radio stations, she wouldn't have the problem of being accused of racism, because she wouldn't have been able to post the word that caused such problems for her. She would have known to avoid it. Maybe her technician did her a disservice by not using the dump button on her use of that word?

Old 08-18-2010, 10:05 AM

24,054 posts, read 16,111,138 times
Bye Laura

I never listened to her radio show for years. I did listen a short time when she was first on the air here but didn't think that she was much help for those who had issues or problems. I think a bartender could provide better help with answers.

She will not be missed by too many people!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Radio