U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Radio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2007, 11:21 PM

2,407 posts, read 12,767,309 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApartmentNomad View Post
We are real America.
Ignore him. He's got some seriously warped obsession with things being "American", and also a bizarre extreme hostility (bordering on hatred) for Northerners and minorities as a whole as anyone who's read many of his posts can attest. And this is coming from me, a white boy born and raised in Virginia. It's grown really tiresome. There's no sense trying to use logic to argue with him. Just laugh at the absurdity, roll your eyes and move on.

Anyways, some people like country and some people don't. It has little if anything to do with image. All radio is segregated. I really don't see what the big deal is.

Last edited by dullnboring; 07-14-2007 at 11:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2007, 12:07 AM
j33

4,625 posts, read 12,221,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapin2212 View Post
I don't see how people can hate country, especially how that country is very slick and commercialized. I think its an extension simply of people in the Northeast looking down on something that's not considered as "classy" or "sophisticated" as themselves. They can tolerate hip hop and Spanish music not because they actually like it but because it makes them seem "cosmpolitan" and "open minded" so they can feel better than the rest of us. The same way how they look down on OUtback Steakhouse and Red Lobster because to them if you don't drink $50 imported lattes at coffee shops in Greenwich VIllage or eat at French restaurants that charge $70 you are beneath them. Hell, maybe I know which voters John Edwards was trying to endear himself to them he got that $500 haircut!
You've got to be kidding me. Country music is an expression of and appreciation of a rural upbringing, which many Americans have not had (including myself) and cannot relate to, and that is just as part of growing up in the US as those who grew up on a farm or a small town. I grew up in a suburban and urban areas and much of my family is indeed from the northeast and Chicago, and none of us live the absurd life you so ridiculously assume those of us who have that background. I grew up working class just south of Chicago, my mother was born on the 4th floor of a four story walk-up in Boston and my grandfather in the tenements of new york, there was not a latte or 8 course French meal amongst them, but none of 'em liked country music. In my opinion, country music is probably something you grow up appreciating, something that is part of ones life from childhood. Of my friends who like country music, and I have a few, they have almost all grown up in a more rural upbringing and have had the tradition of country music in their family since childhood.

Old 07-15-2007, 12:20 AM

130 posts, read 94,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dullnboring View Post
Ignore him. He's got some seriously warped obsession with things being "American", and also a bizarre extreme hostility (bordering on hatred) for Northerners and minorities as a whole as anyone who's read many of his posts can attest. And this is coming from me, a white boy born and raised in Virginia. It's grown really tiresome. There's no sense trying to use logic to argue with him. Just laugh at the absurdity, roll your eyes and move on.

Anyways, some people like country and some people don't. It has little if anything to do with image. All radio is segregated. I really don't see what the big deal is.
Why would someone refer to themselves as a "white boy"?

Old 07-15-2007, 01:22 AM

2,407 posts, read 12,767,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proud to be American View Post
Why would someone refer to themselves as a "white boy"?
A) It's a descriptive term. I AM a white guy/boy/male from Virginia. What's the problem?
B) To counter the original poster's constant assertions that only spoiled image-conscious Northerners and minorities see things differently than him in regards to this issue and many others.

Anyways, we're going off track now. I've said my piece and am moving on from this thread.

Old 07-15-2007, 04:12 AM

9,595 posts, read 21,586,439 times
I'm up in northern Alberta, a city of 60,000 plus and while the community also has a lot of minorities, country has a faint but relativley universal appeal up here. In 2 months I've met black people from Africa who like country and I heard it tuned in in a Chinese restaurant, run by a Chinese family.

Much of modern country music IMHO is relatable to most people including those who live in cities. Many country music songs kind of remind me of Disney movies and songs. Some songs are a little different, but not unrelatable to city dwellers who've at least visited the country a time or to.

Just my humble opinion.

Old 07-15-2007, 07:15 AM
j33

4,625 posts, read 12,221,231 times
ColdCanadian -- point taken. I don't know why it is more popular in some regions in the US than others (or how that plays out when discussing Canada, an entirely different country). I do recall hearing a story on NPR once about the popularity of country music in Nigeria, so I know that it isn't just something that is popular amongst certain people.

Old 07-15-2007, 08:03 AM

3,000 posts, read 3,664,518 times
[quote=Terrapin2212;1068057]I don't see how people can hate country, especially how that country is very slick and commercialized. I think its an extension simply of people in the Northeast looking down on something that's not considered as "classy" or "sophisticated" as themselves. They can tolerate hip hop and Spanish music not because they actually like it but because it makes them seem "cosmpolitan" and "open minded" so they can feel better than the rest of us.[quote]

Oh, I missed this. When I used to listen to hip-hop a lot (87-92), I can assure you, I liked it. And I'm not pretending to like "Spanish music" in the present: overall, I will take current Spanish Caribbean popular music (even though it's not as good as it was in the late 60s through the early 80s) over current Anglophone popular music (rock, R&B, hip-hop, country, etc.) any day.

Quote:
The same way how they look down on OUtback Steakhouse and Red Lobster because to them if you don't drink $50 imported lattes at coffee shops in Greenwich VIllage or eat at French restaurants that charge $70 you are beneath them. Hell, maybe I know which voters John Edwards was trying to endear himself to them he got that $500 haircut!
http://www.dontamend.com/BushPrinceKiss.jpg (broken link)

We can't all be down-home boys whose family hangs out with sheiks and oil company executives.

Old 07-15-2007, 01:22 PM

4,673 posts, read 5,229,338 times
Country music today, for the most part is as bad as current pop, r&b adn rock.

County music today is merely today's crappy pop music with some twang and cheesy lyrics so that it can be "country"

Pop is cheesy in its own way, it's like a trip back to the cheesy 50's pop songs, but minus the talent, and plus way too much production, especially on the vocals, since the "singers" can't sing to be begin with.

This of couse applies to today's r&b, which lacks both r & b.

Rock made somewhat of a comeback in the 90s, but it's dead now for sure.

All of this creates a void, and the mainstream blandness of country (today's country) has filled the void.

While up until the 80's you had plenty of middle of the road pop/rock bands with many hits (Eagles, Styx, REO, Journey, Little River band, Supertramp, Dire Straits, Police, etc) you have nothing like that now.

Whos' going to be listening to Toby Keith in 20 years? To Jessica Simpson? 50 Cent? Usher? Nickleback?

Old 07-15-2007, 09:58 PM

1,310 posts, read 2,622,510 times
I wish we had country music here in NYC but alas, there is none. I have to get my music online so at least I can find some decent music. I lean towards the older stuff from the 90's backwards. The stuff they have now is too much a mix which I believe has corrupted the country music we used to know and love. I also like to listen to southern gospel which has not been corrupted.

Old 07-16-2007, 08:05 AM

3,860 posts, read 7,080,669 times
Well I'm one of those people who hates country music. It's like the corny stepchild of bluegrass. BTW, I happen to enjoy bluegrass and even some western music. So it's not "elitism" on my part.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Radio