U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Radio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2011, 09:35 AM

7,262 posts, read 10,185,042 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Well, I listen to talk radio a lot. Like I said, I used to listen to left wing talk, could only stomach them for small periods of time, much more vile and insane than the Right.

You've got to be kidding.....I'm a moderate and can't name one prominent left winger not to mention one that is vile and insane.

Lots of candidates on the right.

Honestly I don't care about one or the other but the right just seems like straight out shrill mean people. Mean, no empathy, hypocrites who say they don't want the govt involved in anything and don't want to pay for anything but are the first to expect specific govt services when they need them.

I work in a 100% hard core conservative environment though (and have for the last 20+ years) so I'm getting that more from hard core right wingers as much as from media personalities (I refused to call anyone on Foxx "news" anything)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2011, 04:21 PM

4,112 posts, read 3,437,910 times
I don't see anything wrong with "suck" or other forms of it.

Old 07-22-2011, 02:42 PM

15,260 posts, read 14,490,843 times
If the OP is still around, WBZ in Boston is a great AM station for talk. Dan Rea is on at 8 pm and at midnight Steve LeVeille comes on--both are great to listen to.

Old 08-21-2011, 09:14 AM

1,794 posts, read 3,109,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
If the OP is still around, WBZ in Boston is a great AM station for talk. Dan Rea is on at 8 pm and at midnight Steve LeVeille comes on--both are great to listen to.
Yes, those are excellent shows! Sometimes the station bleeps a caller, often having to end the call. At least some civility exists.

Old 08-21-2011, 09:22 AM

16,061 posts, read 18,951,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonguy1960 View Post
I don't know which category to place this on C-D. In a way, this forum seems appropriate as talk radio is a major form of a relationship for me, since I live and work alone, and am a loner.

My complaint: I'm so disgusted living in Boston by not only the casual cursing in everyday life by almost everyone (yes, even the educated and higher class!), but especially by the profanity on many local radio airwaves.

Listening to one particular entertaining and informative local sports program, it astounds me that within 5-10 minutes of just tuning in today, I heard "sucks, SUCKED!, sucking, blows!" several times by both male hosts. Well, I should consider myself lucky it wasn't two female hosts, right?

These hosts are popular local and even national sports figures, men in their 40s acting like fratboys! At least one is married to a local tv newsbabe.

These are men I otherwise find entertaining, informative and quick witted.

Why are THESE words allowed; other words, thankfully, are still banned on radio and network tv.

I hear "fricken" and "friggin" often on local Boston radio. Isn't Boston supposed to be such a polished and educated populace overall? Believe me, many locals are low class who use double negatives and spit!

I'm 51 and male (gay, if it matters...shouldn't gays be used to some of the above words?).

Darn! Back from the commercial break, and one host again said "sucked!" while the other chimed in with "sucks!"

Even a local radio ad for a local gym mentioned if the New Year has sucked for you, consider joining their gym!

Darn, he said "suck" again.

Oh, a caller just complimented their great show!

A few local radio hosts are gentleman and would never use this "jargon." And their stations wouldn't allow it.

I'm not the NPR type...I wish I were that fancy and educated.. But should I just crawl back into my hole and let the world pass me by? I won't give up my talk radio. Even if I shun talk radio, this language is all around on the suways and streets of Boston (and all of America?). I can't win.

Some who have read this far may think I'm joking and simply waant a reaction. I'm not joking. Any reaction is welcome, even one ridiculing me and me sensitivity.
Listen to music, the last thing I want to hear while I am driving is someone else's rant

Old 12-21-2011, 06:37 AM

8,217 posts, read 10,367,815 times
I match the OP's demographic almost identically and he is right the world has become permissive with the vulgar language. Once upon a time many would never be allowed on TV, and the term was in polite company one would not use such language.

We have become a slovenly nation, we are full of the ignorant. I have been guilty of lax language customs. The internet has become s cesspool of disrespect. Do I think Suck, and douche are profane?..no but they certainly aren't polite. Perhaps that is why I listen to NPR... they are polite, and intelligent. it's the place where you aren't a douchebag but simply a Rube

Old 12-21-2011, 03:53 PM

14,693 posts, read 21,328,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AONE View Post
I match the OP's demographic almost identically and he is right the world has become permissive with the vulgar language. Once upon a time many would never be allowed on TV, and the term was in polite company one would not use such language.

We have become a slovenly nation, we are full of the ignorant. I have been guilty of lax language customs. The internet has become s cesspool of disrespect. Do I think Suck, and douche are profane?..no but they certainly aren't polite. Perhaps that is why I listen to NPR... they are polite, and intelligent. it's the place where you aren't a douchebag but simply a Rube
So it is OK to insult someone so long as it is done politely and/or eloquently? I really don't understand why people attach such importance to the word itself when the important part is the intent.

Whether one says freak, f**k, frak or fudge the intent is precisely the same. I also think it is laughable to say that this country is "recently ignorant". There have always been ignorant people around and we are probalby better educated now than any other time in history.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Radio