U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Radio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2013, 02:58 PM

26,166 posts, read 12,743,171 times

Advertisements

Now Art has "Want to take a ride?" on his site..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2013, 07:22 PM

12,411 posts, read 14,985,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
An open mind allows you to enjoy a large variety of talk shows. All you do is to shrug something you don't want to hear. Besides, you are assuming that the listenership wants facts, but what kind of facts are you going to listen to when the subject is remote viewing, for example, or just cattle mutilation, or crop circles left behind by martians, or shadow people? By the way, Coast To Coast Wednesday night (17 July) is about "Mermaids."

I listen to such shows for entertainment. In fact some of the callers can be quite funny, and sometimes plain crazy.
Sure, and that's what I used to listen for - entertainment. After all, one person's reality is not necessarily mine. But when you see little digs coming in frequently and they are all pushing the same agenda, as though from some 'talking points' you start becoming suspicious if you are alert to it. I don't like people who push in a second agenda in such shows, especially if there is no one there to refute some comments. It would be more honest to have another boring political talk show. What they are doing is trying to move you over to one side, assuming you are too dumb to realize it. It is insulting to the audience. I don't watch.

Old 07-17-2013, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
Now Art has "Want to take a ride?" on his site..
Oh, yes! Please! PLeeeEASE???????

Old 07-18-2013, 12:13 AM

15,700 posts, read 25,321,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
Sure, and that's what I used to listen for - entertainment. After all, one person's reality is not necessarily mine. But when you see little digs coming in frequently and they are all pushing the same agenda, as though from some 'talking points' you start becoming suspicious if you are alert to it. I don't like people who push in a second agenda in such shows, especially if there is no one there to refute some comments. It would be more honest to have another boring political talk show. What they are doing is trying to move you over to one side, assuming you are too dumb to realize it. It is insulting to the audience. I don't watch.
As I mentioned before, I listen to radio with an open mind. I hear what I am interested on listening to, and shrug off the rest. If you already have a preconceived notion relating to the negative things you have referred to, you will never enjoy the show. Also, if you already know that the radio host is trying to persuade you "to move you over to one side," there is nothing to worry because it won't affect you. Just ignore that part, and listen to the rest of the show.

Old 07-18-2013, 03:10 AM

Quote:
As I mentioned before, I listen to radio with an open mind. I hear what I am interested on listening to, and shrug off the rest. If you already have a preconceived notion relating to the negative things you have referred to, you will never enjoy the show. Also, if you already know that the radio host is trying to persuade you "to move you over to one side," there is nothing to worry because it won't affect you. Just ignore that part, and listen to the rest of the show.
Well, as I mentioned before, if the show is trying to con me in one thing and also thinks that I am dumb enough to fall for it, it is probably doing that with other of its content as well, which is one reason why I refuse to listen, but to each his own.

Old 07-18-2013, 05:10 PM

7,262 posts, read 10,188,088 times
Quote:
Get over it. This has nothing to do with keeping an open mind.
This is like..

Small town car dealership. Owned by a local guy for 10s of years, super enthusiastic, everyone is his friend, goofy commercials, goofy clothes. But the reason everyone goes to him because he's honest and really tries to give people a good deal. He is very sincere.
Something happens, he dies or whatever and one of his employees takes over.
He puts on the same goofy commercials, clothes, acts superfriendly just like the old guy but it soon becomes very clear that this is a snake in a nice old mans clothing and people don't like the new guy owning the dealership. He looks the same he sounds the same, he is trying to cash in on the old mans reputation but he isn't the same.

This is not having a closed mind. This is seeing what is in front of you. Noory does his best to act and sounds like Art Bell all the while sneaking in his bull****.
If he wants to make of go of it on his own, rename the show, announce a new format and quit trying to ride Art Bells coattails.

Old 07-18-2013, 06:48 PM

28,338 posts, read 24,930,828 times
Unfortunately I heard George Noory mention on the air that he had a renewed contract for a long time and nothing was going to change in the programing for years to come. He also indicated that C2C was the highest rated radio show during the night. Well ,,,,, it’s the ONLY show during the night, so it has to come in 1st………………………..

And it’s syndicated to every major city in North America. Did anyone ever listen to the night time host of that little 100 watt radio station in Flat Rock Wy during the night? If you can hear it, it’s good. Maybe even better than George…..

Old 07-18-2013, 07:48 PM

2,423 posts, read 2,755,703 times
CUE IN SUPER DEEP VOICE-OVER: From the Kingdom of Nye... this is Coast to Coast with Art Bell.

East of the Rockies you're on the air. Hello? Hello? Please turn off your radio.

We have an incredible show for you tonight. Our special guest tonight is Area 51 whistleblower, Bob Lazar.

And now for the best call EVER in Coast to Coast history. The man in a small plane flying to Area 51 from Las Vegas:

Caller: I just entered the restricted zone... I see a bunch of lights... I'm trailing in out here... I'm going to get this baby down here to about 1000 feet.

Art Bell: Listen, I think you're making a mistake.

Caller: They got search lights there about 4 of them out here. We got an F16 here now. They're opening this thing up. I think this old boy's going to head up here for me.

Cheers.

Old 07-18-2013, 09:50 PM

15,700 posts, read 25,321,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
Get over it. This has nothing to do with keeping an open mind.
This is like..

Small town car dealership. Owned by a local guy for 10s of years, super enthusiastic, everyone is his friend, goofy commercials, goofy clothes. But the reason everyone goes to him because he's honest and really tries to give people a good deal. He is very sincere.
Something happens, he dies or whatever and one of his employees takes over.
He puts on the same goofy commercials, clothes, acts superfriendly just like the old guy but it soon becomes very clear that this is a snake in a nice old mans clothing and people don't like the new guy owning the dealership. He looks the same he sounds the same, he is trying to cash in on the old mans reputation but he isn't the same.

This is not having a closed mind. This is seeing what is in front of you. Noory does his best to act and sounds like Art Bell all the while sneaking in his bull****.
If he wants to make of go of it on his own, rename the show, announce a new format and quit trying to ride Art Bells coattails.
But see, I am not trying to tell you to listen with an open mind. I am saying that I do. To me a radio talk show, regardless of who the host is, is background noise that every now and then I listen to when something interesting comes along, and something I ignore when I am not interested on listening to.

During moose season in Alaska I keep an AM radio on my tent 24 hours a day, tuned to a station where only radio talk shows are played. It seems to keep bears away when I sleep at night, or when the tent is by itself for days at a time. However, if I am sleep and the radio is playing Coast To Coast, I am not listening to it.

I don't know what to tell you, except that I don't listen to radio but for entertainment, and that the callers are often the most interesting.

Old 07-19-2013, 08:36 AM

1,975 posts, read 5,585,850 times
Oh yes. I have been listening since Art had it in the 1980's. Still enjoy it very much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Radio