U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Radio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2007, 07:43 AM

693 posts, read 2,411,069 times

Advertisements

Whatchamagotcha! When I subscribed to Sirius for my car satellite radio last year I paid $50 for the year. Now I got the renewal bill for this year: $152.06!!!!!!! Am I cheap or is this a lot of money to listen to radio??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2007, 05:22 PM

4,286 posts, read 12,622,409 times
I have Sirius also but my SO pays for my subscription every year. I know he paid the same as you did for this year and it is expensive but I also listen to it on my computer when I'm working, so I'm using it a lot. The thing that bugs me is they play the same songs over and over. I listen to about four of the stations and I'm already of tired of the selection. Aside from that I like the no commercial format and the fact they play more obscure stuff rather then only what's popular.

Old 08-22-2007, 05:26 PM

419 posts, read 1,934,709 times
It's like extended cable. You're just watching TV, but it's a lot more than basic, so you pay more. It's the commercial free format and extra niches you're paying for just as Rapture suggested.

However, there is light at the end of the tunnel if you're going to stick with Sirius. There's been talk for a while that a Sirius/XM merger could open the way for some great new subscription plans from Sirius. For instance, a little birdie told me that you would have the option to chose any 50 stations for 6.99 a month, which, if you only listen to 50 anyways, is a great deal.

Old 08-23-2007, 12:46 PM

3,558 posts, read 5,763,800 times
I have had Sirius for three years. I listen only to smooth jazz and lately they are playing a lot of other types of music on that station. I agree with Rapture, they continuing repeat to the point I am getting to know the order of play. This is sad considering the cost. I am moving to an area where I hope to get good smooth jazz OTA and if so, good-bye Sirius.
Don

Old 08-25-2007, 01:40 PM

15,487 posts, read 34,068,524 times
I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed the same things played over and over again, day after day! Granted, satellite radio beats regular radio any day of the week, but can't they add more stuff to the playlists???

I listen to First Wave (Sirius 22) and while I like the music, I really can't wait for the Friday night Fred Schneider/Party Out Of Bounds show because he seems to be the only one who plays different stuff. I also like Saturday night Safety Dance and Sunday Dark Wave, but Sat and Sun they also kind of play the same things every week. Also, I am out on the weekends a lot so I don't get to listen to Fred's show as much as I'd like to, or the Sat. and Sun. shows.

I don't really have a problem with paying to listen to the radio because I HATE commercials, but I really wish they'd play more stuff. Give us more variety.

Old 09-17-2007, 10:19 AM

141 posts, read 511,870 times
I think it's great. But you have to really like all kinds of music to get your money's worth. If you're only listening to a few stations then it can get boring. Lucky for me, I like everything so I can easily swith and find something I like.
I too hate morning radio and commercials so the money is well worth it for me.

Old 09-17-2007, 10:24 AM

306 posts, read 1,082,908 times
WOW omg.. we have xm and it was something hubby just had to have..now i am spoiled..especially in our rural area the radio stations are really far and few between..i have noticed alot of the same stuff over and over and the commercial free is NOT commercial free...........I will kill hubby if we get a bill like this in the near future!!

Old 09-17-2007, 11:02 AM

6,351 posts, read 18,077,535 times
Hi All! Satellite radio is the next best thing (er, make that better than) the C.B. radio for us truckers! I currently drive in OH, IN and KY and I get good AM & FM radio every where I go (one exception: a short section of I-71 in KY) If I were driving long haul and living in a sleeper, I wouldn't be without it. I'm old enough () to remember when everyone laughed at the idea of "pay TV", so I can see the day coming where we'll be paying for radio. My frustration is that, like some of you have found out, the "commercial-free satellite radio isn't. I'm also curious to see how the possible Sirius/XM merger will shake out!

Old 09-24-2007, 05:06 AM

578 posts, read 2,233,618 times
Yeah, its always a good idea when they first do their salespitch. I thought that pay tv was gonna have a box on the set, and you put quarters into it when you wanted to watch a movie. duh...Well, after time went on, cable got away with running the ads at the bottom in crawlers, in the left corner, in the right corner, top etc...SO WHERE is the break for commercials and ads? They lied, and still bombard us with buy this, watch that, but try to pay attention to what you're watching now becoz we have a whole new load of crap to entice you next weekend, NOTHING GOOD ON TV. as the song said:"...57 channels and nothing on"..... was that Springsteen?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Radio