U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Radio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2011, 06:06 PM

14,693 posts, read 21,325,213 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by loose cannon View Post
Dj's are irrelevant now. They are controlled by Clear Channel and other corporations. They have no personality or soul. It is all one big shill.
I don't know about their relevance but the "DJs" on 102.5 WDVE in Pittsburgh still have plenty of personality. Actually, most of the ones I have heard on iheartradio have been pretty good.

RFX is owned by Clear Channel, which I will agree sucks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2011, 05:40 AM

3,786 posts, read 7,035,032 times
what the heck is this iheart radio nonsense?

Old 11-01-2011, 03:05 PM

Quote:
what the heck is this iheart radio nonsense?
It's a free app to listen to radio stations on your mobile device (cell phone, iPad, etc.).

I live in NC but get to listen to the station that I grew up listening to in PA. I get all my Steelers news, classic rock and their great comedy bits. There aren't many good radio stations in the Charlotte market.

I would rather have Sirius to listen to, but I am too cheap to pay for another receiver or to listen online.

Old 11-04-2011, 12:08 PM

448 posts, read 794,189 times
hasn't listened to comerical radio in 5 yrs most of the DJ's were lame and didn't care about the consumer. theres only one good radio station in LA klos. but the same 10 songs over and over never mind the 30 mins of commericals for crap you'll never use. sirius rocks

Old 11-07-2011, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganto_2010 View Post
hasn't listened to comerical radio in 5 yrs most of the DJ's were lame and didn't care about the consumer. theres only one good radio station in LA klos. but the same 10 songs over and over never mind the 30 mins of commericals for crap you'll never use. sirius rocks
I just got Sirus/XM again on account of buying a new car. I need to get the internet app for my radio so that I can listen in the other car as well.

Old 11-09-2011, 08:46 AM

1,080 posts, read 1,847,152 times
Even Sirius XM have DJ;w who are annoying..I mean why am i paying to listen to some guy talk.
I use my MP 3 player and play what i want when I want and dont have to pay for Sirius.

Old 11-10-2011, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novadhd5150 View Post
Even Sirius XM have DJ;w who are annoying..I mean why am i paying to listen to some guy talk.
I use my MP 3 player and play what i want when I want and dont have to pay for Sirius.
Ya, especially Alan Hunter. Freaking hate that guy's blather!

Old 11-17-2011, 12:35 PM

1,392 posts, read 3,326,699 times
Quote:
Dj's are irrelevant now. They are controlled by Clear Channel and other corporations. They have no personality or soul. It is all one big shill.
It pretty much has always been a shill more or less. The whole idea is to entertain you long enough to listen to the next set of commercials. That's it, nothing more. Same with tv, same with the newspaper, same with any media. "What can we do to keep listeners/watchers/readers happy, what's the cheapest way we can do it?". The more L/W/R on board, the higher the ad rates. The cheaper the production the higher the income.

Seriously, is it really worth five minutes of commercials to hear the weather forecast and traffic so you can hear "Satisfaction" for the millionth time so you can sit through five more minutes of commercials to hear the weather/traffic report again? Is your world that empty?

Old 04-16-2012, 12:41 AM

7,238 posts, read 9,690,820 times
FYI, iHeartRadio is owned by Clear Channel. Hasn't anyone noticed only Clear Channel-owned stations appear on there, and it's only advertised on Clear Channel radio stations?

Al of the commercial radio stations and commercial radio companies are crap, but Clear Channel is THE LEAST crappiest. RadioOne is just horrible.

As for the OPs original question, yeah, that's the joy of commercial radio. The supposed DJs you hear on the radio are nothing more than pre-recorded soundbites much of the time, especially in the smaller markets (less so in the larger markets). They can get away with this because of their strict, repetitve playlists. That's why I just download the songs I want to listen to on a blank CD and put them into the CD player. When at home, I just go to YouTube to find my favorite songs.

Old 04-18-2012, 08:48 PM

466 posts, read 1,203,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
Al of the commercial radio stations and commercial radio companies are crap, but Clear Channel is THE LEAST crappiest. RadioOne is just horrible.
IMO you can blame deregulation for this, specifically, the Telecommunications Act of 1996. A handful of large corporations then went on a buying spree, sucking up thousands of stations, usually with the result being the focus-grouped/formulaic/preprogrammed crud one hears nowadays on so many stations.

Sure these stations need to generate a profit, but when you bore your listeners to death, those companies shouldn't be surprised if their ratings go swirling down the toilet. I grew up with radio and it was one of my main sources of music & local music news, and I even planned on buying a nice component tuner for best reception and sound quality, but that is now just a memory.

So thank goodness for internet radio stations - not streams from the above stations, but "stations" with no transmitters (e.g. basically just an office with computers, mixing desks and some mics), usually manned by people who actually care about music, many which are listener supported i.e. no commercials so they are very responsive to their listener's opinions.

College stations can also be a kick to listen to, especially if you want to discover new music.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Radio