Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Radio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2012, 06:47 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,908,330 times

Advertisements

A New York station -

Does anyone remember her?

She'd play great progressive rock late at night, while most were sleeping.
Some jazz, some whale vocalizations, too.

Steele began her show by reciting poetry over Andean flute music, before introducing her show in her well-known sultry, smoky voice with,

“The flutter of wings, the shadow across the moon, the sounds of the night, as the Nightbird spreads her wings and soars, above the earth, into another level of comprehension, where we exist only to feel. Come, fly with me, Alison Steele, the Nightbird, at WNEW-FM, until dawn.”

She had the sexiest voice of anyone I have ever heard.
There is no actress who I've ever heard to top her.
Most of her audience were men, needless to say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2012, 06:37 PM

8,875 posts, read 13,844,415 times
I remember Alison Steele. Hard to believe she'd be in her mid-70's if she was still with us. I took a few minutes to look up the Wikipedia page on her. I had to laugh out loud when it mentioned that she did the voiceover work on the Howward Stern bit "Larry Fine at Woodstock". That was an awesome bit!

Old 05-14-2012, 07:40 PM

18,151 posts, read 25,693,665 times
I remember that show very well. I always looked forward to her interviews with the various artists in the 1970's. And yea, that voice!

I have a few of those Nightbird and Co. interview sets in my collection. For the most part they were two lp sets, about 25 minutes each side, showcasing a different artist on each album side. For the most part the interviews were classic rockers but singer songwriters were released as well (David Bromberg, Michael Martin Murphy, etc.) Unlike the King Bisquit Flower Hour, Westwood One, and the other various radio shows, those comp sets did not come with any script sheets. These weren't live concerts either. They were just a discussion on the artists music, their careers, and a little info regarding the artists past. The sets I have always had her speaking in a relaxed manner and the end result was always good info wise. Man, I loved those shows!

Old 05-15-2012, 07:31 AM

1,921 posts, read 2,008,454 times
Yeah, I was in high school & college during the time of Alison Steele's WNEW tenure, so I spent many a late night with her show in the background. Lots of "space music". Those were the days when the disc jockey picked whatever they wanted to play, and she picked some obscure ones like Kraftwerk, Lothar and the Hand People, Tangerine Dream, and Hawkwind. Too many nights, I listened to the very end, when she'd always finish with the Beatles "Flying" song.

Old 05-22-2012, 08:22 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,592,851 times
I grew up on WNEW FM. All the DJs were great. Alison Steele, was a guest speaker at my high school assembly. Oh the good old days.

I've heard one or two the old WNEW DJs working on Sirius Radio.

Old 05-22-2012, 02:26 PM

1,921 posts, read 2,008,454 times
Makes me feel old whenever I hear one of the WNEW jocks has died. Alison in 1995, Rosko in 2000, Scott Muni in 2004, and Pete Fornatele just this past April 2012.

Richard Neer wrote a book remembering the progressivive days of radio: FM: The Rise and Fall of Rock Radio. Well worth the time to seek it out and read, if you listened to NYC radio in the 70s.

Old 06-01-2012, 06:36 AM

923 posts, read 1,423,007 times
She was the best. I could have just listened to her talk all night. Personally, I 'd like to see her inducted into the rock and roll hall of fame, she belongs there.

Old 09-15-2013, 11:22 AM

13,034 posts, read 17,928,203 times
Know this is an old thread but Allison Steele was a fav of mine. That is when I developed my bad habit of going to sleep with the radio on. Also, interesting tidbit. MY high school English teachers were Pete Fornatale, Dennis Elsas and John Valente all FUV folks although John never made it big.

Old 10-12-2013, 05:42 AM

16,214 posts, read 11,252,894 times
The "real Steele" is, of course, long gone, but I can recall hearing what can only be described as a "plagarized", or artificial version marketed to radio stations on a tight budget back around the turn of the Millennium. It brought out mixed emotions -- couldn't even begin to approach the quality of the original, and the tactic could only diminish the quality of what was, in some cases, a pretty good playlist. But it was gratifying to see her remembered.

Old 10-12-2013, 10:01 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,908,330 times
Her voice was so haunting. I can almost hear it now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Radio