Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Radio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 02:34 AM

2,245 posts, read 4,230,661 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa Pipes View Post
For MW (AM) radio a simple long wire strung around the ceiling or to the nearest tree will do the trick.
Are you certain about this? I'd think those small sizes would require the antennae to be in the shape of a coil with something in the core to affect its induction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2012, 02:50 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa Pipes View Post
I'm curious, did you actually read the article in question or did you just fall for the breathlessly and hilariously optimistic premise?

"Oh no -- low power FM stations! Whatever is Sean Hannity gonna do?!?!"

Old 03-22-2012, 02:29 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,673,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcity View Post
And practically no one does this anymore. Frankly, there's no reason for most people to do this since so many stations can be streamed.

I'm a fan of DXing, and I love antennas, but the average person isn't going to put up an antenna just to listen to a radio station.
Yes, young people today only know how to do things with the net. To bad really 'cause wtf are they gonna do when the net goes down as it will from time to time.

You talk about this like it's no school when it's tried and true old school.

Old 03-22-2012, 03:33 PM

3,307 posts, read 9,377,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrazosJaime View Post
The way I read it is: A government agency is Taking Away private property from it's owners. Who will decide who this property should be Given Away to? Why stop at the airwaves? I think the Supreme Court will be getting involved in this.
What property is being taken?

Old 03-22-2012, 11:22 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,175,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visit a Library View Post
Are you certain about this? I'd think those small sizes would require the antennae to be in the shape of a coil with something in the core to affect its induction.
Grandpa is right. It will help a lot, in some caes maybe too much if it overloads the receiver!

Old 03-23-2012, 12:08 AM

66 posts, read 155,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcity View Post
What property is being taken?
The Airwaves there is a property status to it.

Old 03-23-2012, 08:32 AM

3,307 posts, read 9,377,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrazosJaime View Post
The Airwaves there is a property status to it.
I get that. Whose are being taken? LPFMs will not displace any current radio stations.

Old 03-23-2012, 08:52 AM

52,681 posts, read 47,932,189 times
Where radio is concerned, opportunities may now be created for additional low-power FM stations, but there are formats othan than talk than can be used. It still varies from market to market what changes get made, and how many. Now, where private property matters are concerned (including freedom, which I'm going to be interested in), we'll see what the courts decide. Whatever the case may be with said decision, the landscape might change some, but a lot of the same offerings you've been hearing are still going to be around on both bands.

Even after the advent of FM talk in many markets, you're still going to have some AM stations continuing to play talk and news. Despite any rumor you may hear about a possible AM band departure, AM is still going to be chugging along for many years to come. Sorry, Rush and Hannity haters, but those hosts aren't going away anytime soon. And left-wing talk had already been tried...........and it failed in the ratings in most U.S. markets. Bottom line is, don't expect too much big change just yet.

Old 03-23-2012, 09:19 AM

66 posts, read 155,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
Where radio is concerned, opportunities may now be created for additional low-power FM stations, but there are formats othan than talk than can be used. It still varies from market to market what changes get made, and how many. Now, where private property matters are concerned (including freedom, which I'm going to be interested in), we'll see what the courts decide. Whatever the case may be with said decision, the landscape might change some, but a lot of the same offerings you've been hearing are still going to be around on both bands.

Even after the advent of FM talk in many markets, you're still going to have some AM stations continuing to play talk and news. Despite any rumor you may hear about a possible AM band departure, AM is still going to be chugging along for many years to come. Sorry, Rush and Hannity haters, but those hosts aren't going away anytime soon. And left-wing talk had already been tried...........and it failed in the ratings in most U.S. markets. Bottom line is, don't expect too much big change just yet.
Well Said

Old 03-27-2012, 04:41 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,673,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visit a Library View Post
Am I sure? You bet I'm 100% sure 'cause I've many different wire only antennas strung all over the place.

As a radio hobbiest I like to mess with making ,using, and inventing different antennas to see how well they work. Fact is, as long as you understand the rules of radio you can have a ball cooking up all sorts of strange stuff to improve your reception.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Radio