Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Radio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2012, 10:50 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,179,500 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv101 View Post
Liberal talk radio used to be successful many years ago in many major markets, including here in Los Angeles.

It's just not around much because it doesn't draw listeners, while conservative talk-radio makes billions of dollars per year for the conglomerates which own the stations and the programming.

This edict from the FCC won't negatively impact Rush Limbaugh or any other talk radio host; his show and all of the others are carried on tons of radio stations which are at the top of the ratings in tons of markets of all sizes.
At the same time, the local radio stations that broadcast the syndicated shows make a lot of money on local advertisements.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2012, 09:05 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,669,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Don't like it, don't listen to it.

Oh yeah, that is right..........liberals are all for free speech..........as long as it is speech THEY agree with.
Glad someone finally said it. I thought I was missing something. These are the same people who whine about Limbaugh, then turn around and say they don't listen to him.

I'm pretty sure lefty radio stations have failed in the past. Oh, well.

Quote:
Liberal talk radio used to be successful many years ago in many major markets, including here in Los Angeles.

It's just not around much because it doesn't draw listeners, while conservative talk-radio makes billions of dollars per year for the conglomerates which own the stations and the programming.

This edict from the FCC won't negatively impact Rush Limbaugh or any other talk radio host; his show and all of the others are carried on tons of radio stations which are at the top of the ratings in tons of markets of all sizes.

lol

Old 11-29-2012, 08:04 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcity View Post
They will mostly be run by churches, community groups, or volunteers.
We have one of those in nearby town;no one listens to it.

Old 12-18-2012, 06:56 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,567,236 times
They're lying if they claim that they don't listen to him, because he's the subject of conversation almost daily on the morning talk shows on MSNBC and elsewhere.

Old 12-20-2012, 10:38 AM

1,035 posts, read 1,397,383 times
I think small indie groups having radio shows are a good thing. Everyone has to remember though guys like Rush Limbaugh have alot of listeners which translates to alot of money for the stations that broadcast him. Its like TV, if the ratings are good the show stays and it gets more power.

IMO Rush Limbaugh is a moron, I don't know why anyone would listen to him for a few minutes let alone a few hours

Old 12-20-2012, 03:54 PM

8,228 posts, read 14,217,702 times
I only skimmed but it sounded wonderful, not from a right or left argument but from a local regional standpoint. Much easier for not mainstream local news to get out and revitalize their communities. I imagine right wing communities will have low power local right wing news and vice versa. But it will hopefully allow for the alternative view to have its own voice in those communities (whether thats right or left) Sounds like a good thing to me.

Old 12-20-2012, 05:21 PM

12,270 posts, read 11,328,716 times
What's the matter, you folks don't remember Air America? Rush and his fellow right-wingers are popular because that's what people want to listen to, not because of some vast, right-wing conspiracy.

Air America had a lot of funding but it was a flop because no one wanted to listen to their steady mixture of hate and bile. Sure, there'll be lots of little stations featuring people ranting into the ether, but who's going to listen? Until the left comes along with someone as entertaining as Rush and his bretheren, the right will continue to rule the radio.

Old 12-23-2012, 11:17 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,567,236 times
I've discovered that listening to both news-talk and music oriented radio stations in small and medium markets tends to be more enjoyable than in many major markets, including here in Los Angeles.

Old 12-25-2012, 01:18 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,239,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visit a Library View Post
How about the FCC get rid of the dominance of foreign language stations in Los Angeles? What's the point of the public owning the airwaves if regular Americans such as myself can't understand what the hell people are saying because they aren't speaking English?

And with my luck, the new low power stations in my area will be more non-English...great...
So, if a Liberal should just "not listen to" to Right-wing radio if they do not like it, than why can't you do the same? If you cannot understand it, then simply do not listen to it. Simple as that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
Sorry, Rush and Hannity haters, but those hosts aren't going away anytime soon. And left-wing talk had already been tried...........and it failed in the ratings in most U.S. markets. Bottom line is, don't expect too much big change just yet.
Rush and Hannity exist in radio because there is a small, and dedicated, market for them; they say what ever it takes to keep listeners listening because that sells ad space. Of course they are not going anywhere...there is a market for their product[s] and that translates into $$$.

As for Left-wing shows...most failed because the hosts tried to emulate the Right-wing pundits a little too much and missed the boat which made them often came across as being snide or "above you" if you disagreed with them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Don't like it, don't listen to it.

Oh yeah, that is right..........liberals are all for free speech..........as long as it is speech THEY agree with.
Seems to go both ways, doesn't it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
Glad someone finally said it. I thought I was missing something. These are the same people who whine about Limbaugh, then turn around and say they don't listen to him.

I'm pretty sure lefty radio stations have failed in the past. Oh, well.

lol
I cannot think of one Liberal that I know who actually listens to Limbaugh. The idea to turn on his program simply does not cross their minds.

Quote:
They're lying if they claim that they don't listen to him, because he's the subject of conversation almost daily on the morning talk shows on MSNBC and elsewhere.
How can they be lying if they are getting snippets of Limbaugh's show through other sources. I mean, your post suggests that they are secretly getting their Rush fix by watching MSNBC, etc. Besides, true Liberals do not watch MSNBC.

Old 01-01-2013, 04:27 PM

53 posts, read 44,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
What's the matter, you folks don't remember Air America? Rush and his fellow right-wingers are popular because that's what people want to listen to, not because of some vast, right-wing conspiracy.

Air America had a lot of funding but it was a flop because no one wanted to listen to their steady mixture of hate and bile. Sure, there'll be lots of little stations featuring people ranting into the ether, but who's going to listen? Until the left comes along with someone as entertaining as Rush and his bretheren, the right will continue to rule the radio.
The reason is simple. Working people tend to listen to the radio while they work to support those who don't work. The working people who make all the money tend to be conservative and listen to conservative talk shows. While those who are laying around the house all day are watching things they enjoy on TV. They don't watch political things that require thinking but people fighting and attacking each other. Not to mention all the lawyer commercials to get them more free money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Radio