Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Radio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2012, 07:41 PM

3,516 posts, read 6,780,102 times

Advertisements

Says You, for sure. I believe it's actually a product of PRI but my local NPR picks it up and it is the highlight of my Saturday mornings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2013, 12:30 PM

850 posts, read 1,026,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
What I find humourous about most NPR programs is the perfectly modulated monotone delivery of every single announcer regardless of subject matter. It's always the same. No excitement, no enthusiasm. When NPR announces the second coming of Christ it will be done in the same tone as a they use to give the time and temperature.

It has nothing to do with program content and political leanings.
One of my favorite Saturday Night Live family of skits is "Delicious Dish" which parodies the delivery/enunciation and some of the topics. It supposedly was inspired by Splendid Table and that strikes me as unfair. Anyway, Betty White was on a few years ago and it was hilarious!

"Neda Ulaby" has a very odd sounding voice IMHO - kind of robotic? And isn't there another NPR woman who sounds just like Terry Gross. That cracks me up!

I do love Wait Wait the most but I also love Ask Me Another and Wits. I will check out the podcasts of the other shows mention as my local NPR station doesn't have them. I think they may have dropped Prairie Home Companion because of $$ a couple of seasons ago. And honestly, I don't miss Car Talk - they spent too much time yucking it up/laughing - and I am a car guy!

Old 02-01-2015, 09:38 AM

2 posts, read 1,182 times
I found this website that you can use to listen to Car Talk: http://cartalk.radioserie.com/".

Old 02-01-2015, 09:49 AM

24,456 posts, read 17,203,514 times
I agree that "Wait Wait Don't Tell Me" is very good and funny. Another show that is similar is "says you" but I don't think it is near as good.

Sadly "Car Talk" is all done since one of the brothers passed away this last year. That was a good show the way they cracked each other up.

I really enjoy "Prairie Home Companion" you might not laugh out loud but it is very entertaining.

Most of NPR is about interviews which are interesting but not usually funny.

There is "the Moth" which features average people telling true stories from their lives that usually have humour in them.

Old 02-03-2015, 05:23 AM

4,856 posts, read 5,817,545 times
I find Rovers Morning Glory pretty funny, Clear Channel stations have infected the natiom, shouldn't be hard to catch it.

Old 02-03-2015, 04:53 PM

2,515 posts, read 5,022,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Allen View Post
"Live Wire" is available in a few cities: Live Wire! Radio |
Live Wire is now distributed by PRI so it's available to a lot more listeners than it was when I first posted.

APM's show "Wits" is pretty good too. Wits | Comedy, conversation, songs and surprises with host John Moe. |

Old 02-16-2015, 06:30 AM

11,479 posts, read 9,137,018 times
Some of the Moth Radio Hour segments are darn right hilarious. Lots of other programs are interspersed with humor, be it a chuckle here or there to outright lol (TED Radio Hour, Radiolab, etc.).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Radio