Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Radio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2012, 09:53 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,564,796 times

Advertisements

AM stations simply aren't as popular as they were back in the fifties and sixties when top 40 radio drove many of them to spectacular ratings nationwide.

Radio is obssessed with the 18-49 demographic, and much-desired younger listeners won't tolerate AM stations and their horrific audio.

News-Talk radio remains the second most-listened to format out there, trailing only country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2012, 05:57 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
I love talk radio. We have WBZ Boston (you can get it online 10:30) and even though they aren't as good as they used to be, they're still good. I listen to Dan Rea from 8pm on until I fall asleep. He's on the conservative side but they talk about other things than just politics.

I loved Steve LeVeille but he retired and went to Maine. Now there are three people competing to take his place but none are that good; he's a hard act to follow. That program is on from midnight until 6am.

I've heard of hate radio--Rush and some of those other names.....I don't listen so I don't know their names but they sound like real haters and nutcases.

Old 11-10-2012, 12:16 PM

16,214 posts, read 11,325,556 times
In my teen years, I was a devotee of the "Big 8" -- WIndsor, Ontario's CKLW, though I lived in Northeastern Pennsylvania. The station broadcasted directionaly, and aimed its signal to the east-southeast across Lake Erie. During the winter months, you could pick it up for as much as eighteen hours a day. Due to Canadian political pressues, it broadcast a somewhat larger share of Canadian performers, but you also heard a lot of blues and "rockabilly" (for the transplated Southerners) not played as much on the two Coasts. (Detroit was right across the river and actually lies north of the city of Windsor.)

The station changed its format to talk in the early Eighties, and on a few occasions, I was able to pick up Windsor Spitfires hockey long after that. I'm sure sombody here could explain the changes at the FCC (and CRTC - Canadian Radio and Television Commission) that brought about the demise of long-distance AM, but it's not my niche.

In fond rememberance:

http://www.thebig8.net/

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 11-10-2012 at 12:41 PM..

Old 11-11-2012, 08:04 PM

4,696 posts, read 5,819,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel12 View Post
1010 WINS - the best "info radio" station I have ever listened to, both on AM and FM.
You drive to work and within minutes you know what is going on around the world and the city.
I miss 1010 WINS in Florida. Why's isn't 1010 WINS (owned by ABC) format duplicated anywhere else in the country? Why don't we have at least one national News Radio program providing just news without any commentaries, kind of like CNN on the radio. Brits have BBC, almost every nation in the world has a national/state radio station and we just have PBS which at times is so boring (not to mention left-biased) that I have to turn it off so I won't fall asleep behind the wheel.

I don't get it, from my observations most people listen to radio while driving or working. Why not create a national "driver radio" with national news program and local traffic updates?
All news is the most expensive format to operate. That's why it's only exists in major markets.

Old 11-11-2012, 11:53 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,157,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
All news is the most expensive format to operate. That's why it's only exists in major markets.
That may be true.

I like the news the way it's broadcasted on the AM radio in the interior of Alaska (Fairbanks): on the hour we hear a few minutes of US news, and on the half hour we hear a few minutes of local news. But we also have several local radio shows. Some of these shows early in the morning relate to local general stuff, including traffic reports, local sports, talking about food recipes, etc. Later in the day we have shows about wines, guns, and so forth. In between we have syndicated shows (Rush, Savage, Laura Ingraham, and so on). Then at night we have Coast to Coast, and similar shows. On the weekends we have some local and national shows such relating to the sciences, legal (law), general subjects (and politics), computers/internet, Kim Komando, and several other shows.

Last edited by RayinAK; 11-12-2012 at 12:03 AM..

Old 01-12-2013, 05:50 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,896,239 times
FM radio has an inherent advantage for music due to no static and stereo. So I guess it was natural for AM to go to News/Talk/Sports. Except for truckers and others who are not in propinquity to stations and might want to hear music. Of course, satellite has now taken over that market.

Old 01-23-2013, 07:18 PM

810 posts, read 1,448,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
Talk radio stations across the nation are they providing information or simply pumping up the propaganda and causing their listeners to hate? Makes me wonder!
I observe that most people who talk about "hate" radio really are just not very bright, and when they hear something that they don't understand, or isn't about unicorns and rainbows, they call it "hate". Just like the kid who screams that mommy hates her if mommy serves her vegetables. Well, you need vegetables.

Not that there isn't some ill-tempered radio out there. Stephanie Miller: Hate. Michael Savage: Near-hate. If you think that Limbaugh is hate radio, you maybe should listen to him a little. He's a remarkably good-natured guy.

S

Old 01-29-2013, 03:07 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,964,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonorio View Post
I observe that most people who talk about "hate" radio really are just not very bright, and when they hear something that they don't understand, or isn't about unicorns and rainbows, they call it "hate". Just like the kid who screams that mommy hates her if mommy serves her vegetables. Well, you need vegetables.

Not that there isn't some ill-tempered radio out there. Stephanie Miller: Hate. Michael Savage: Near-hate. If you think that Limbaugh is hate radio, you maybe should listen to him a little. He's a remarkably good-natured guy.

S
Yes, but some of us are foolish enough to think their should be professional standards in broadcasting. All facts should be given, not just those that support your opinions, and if you allow opinions to be voiced on one side, provision should be made for airing a responsible spokesperson on the other.

Most talk radio that I hear is very biased and if you only promote one side of an issue your comrades will think you're wonderful and those you oppose will be feeling your hate.

Old 01-29-2013, 08:18 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,869,458 times
It appears that some people might need to understand what the term “hate radio” is and why it’s named that way. Look back into your history, read a book, listen some to something different in life and become more knowledgeable about what is the truth and what isn’t. Hate radio has nothing to do with a poor analogy about vegetables, it has to do with propaganda that is mass marketed via radio broadcast networks.

Propaganda is the form of misinformation that seems to be the norm in broadcasting networks coast to coast these days. No that’s propaganda, not always truth that seems to be listened to by the “mass media of main stream” networks. Keeping in mind where and when propaganda was originally started is one of the reasons for the term that I’ve heard and use, which is “hate radio”. The talk show hosts simply provides misinformation instead of facts and the “listeners” drink in it without knowing more than what they hear. The tactic was established in Germany before and during the Second World War by Joseph Goebbels who became Adolf Hitler's propaganda minister in 1933, which gave him power over all German radio, press, cinema, and theater. This type of propaganda turned many German citizens into their mass hate towards others which is very similar to the broadcast networks of today that simply provide misinformation.

Joseph Goebbels - Propaganda Principles

Propaganda - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 02-05-2013, 08:05 AM

10,793 posts, read 13,539,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
Talk radio stations across the nation are they providing information or simply pumping up the propaganda and causing their listeners to hate? After a three day trip recently an attempt to listen to AM radio along the way simply provided me with an earful of talkradio hosts that seem to push a good amount of hate and propaganda instead of “news” and “information”. Is this all that’s on AM radio anymore aside from some of the local country western music stations and religious broadcasts,,,,,, there’s simply isn’t any “reasonable” radio to listen to anymore and after six days on the road with a good number of stations I had to wonder if this was just me or has the world gone nuts? Even some of the religious stations broadcasting made me wonder if they were promoting the word of God or simply pushing their own propaganda and hate. Makes me wonder!

So what's hateful? Can you give some examples??

Is your rant simply a disguise to dog out "conservative" talk shows??

Just be honest........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Radio