U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Radio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2013, 05:05 PM

5,239 posts, read 6,074,271 times

Advertisements

The only thing interesting used to be the local talk shows. Now I'm not sure they even have any of those. And I'm not talking about more of the same old rants from smaller fish in the pond. But more local shows with guests, local stuff without the right or left rants.

Did anyone here used to listen to KCMO in Kansas City? They used to some good local shows years ago. I could get them during the day in Omaha and always listened when I could. Mike Murphy always had an entertaining show, Dave Dawson was good, and at one time they had Psychologist Marshall Saper that did an interesting show. I named one of my labs, Marshall. My dad worked in radio when I was a kid, he did a man on the street show, they did remotes like that back then. The old days of radio are gone forever.

I just happened on the radio threads, as I was thinking of the old WLS jingle, back when they played music many moons ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2013, 05:51 PM

28,333 posts, read 24,916,335 times
^^^
That is the good old days when radio was local and you could hear the local news reported. I could listen to KCMO and WLS at night when the signal was better. Wish radio was like that again. No syndicated wacko crap blasting across the nation. I could hear the Wolfman at night from the west coast with his program of hit music as well.

Old 02-21-2013, 06:09 PM

Ya me too, them was the days. They could still be unique and have some individual identity. Now they all sound a like on am. And the morning shows on FM are usually not even fit for young kids. Which I think is repulsive. There are sites on the internet where you can listen to old air checks and jingles. WLS had excellent jingles. Ya, I could get them at night too. What other ones did you used to be able to get? I could get CKLW in Windsor, Canada. They had a strong signal. And that one across the border in Mexico, can't think of it now, they haqd a huge range at night.

Do you remember Jimmy O'Neil? He was the host of the TV show, Shindig in the 60's. The Flintstones even had an episode about Shinrock. He was on an Omaha station for awhile, after he had fallen off the peak. He passed away last year or so. He was so young and lucky and couldn't take losing, when the show went off the air. He must have had some ego back then. Man he still could have written his own ticket to any station in the country most likely. But he tried to burn his own house down and became a drunk. He had come out of that by the time he was in Omaha.

My dad could do everything at a station, he had major talent, too bad he got sick so young. I still got photos of me in the station van and when he was doing shows. My dad worked for some big ones, the last was KOA in Denver. Then he got sick and only 38.

Old 02-21-2013, 09:55 PM

28,333 posts, read 24,916,335 times
I remember the power house radio blowing a signal up from the Mexican side of the boarder across from El Paso TX but I can’t think of the call letters it had back then. Unbelievable how strong that signal was back in the 50’s and 60’s.

I also listened to KOA out of Denver; however I don’t recall listening to Windsor Canada at all. WLS and KCMO were the best signals in the Omaha area back then. And of course I always listened to KOIL which then played the latest music of the times.

It wasn’t often when we made driving trips, but when we did it was always nice to pick up local stations while traveling. You’d hear about everything that was going on in the county. Can’t get information like that any longer on trips and it makes driving less interesting.

Old 02-22-2013, 12:39 AM

15,695 posts, read 25,302,452 times
There is a good chance that you have several local AM talk shows. Just search for the list of AM radio stations in your area, and then look at each station's programs.

That said, the shows of the past are long gone, and for numerous reasons, including the passing of some of the hosts, so will never come back. I remember listening to Paul Harvey and other very interesting people, too.

On my side of the pond we have several local AM shows: local news on the half hour), guns, home construction, local politics, morning shows relating to anything happening in town, swap and sale shows (swap, buy, or sale anything), etc. These are the same local radio stations we have ever had, but they still broadcast the syndicated news (on the hour), and the syndicated talk shows. The syndicated stuff is what keeps them alive.

Last edited by RayinAK; 02-22-2013 at 01:07 AM..

Old 02-23-2013, 11:59 AM

XEROK, (X-ROC) 800 on the dial, 150,000 watts. Ya, some powerhouse.

Also used to get KAAY, in Little Rock, later they turned to some religious format.

Old 02-23-2013, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd00 View Post
XEROK, (X-ROC) 800 on the dial, 150,000 watts. Ya, some powerhouse.

Also used to get KAAY, in Little Rock, later they turned to some religious format.
I just Google-searched for all the radio stations in Fairbanks, Alaska, and the following link was shown among others:
Radio Stations in Fairbanks, Alaska.

The link, which I have no idea existed, listed all the stations in Fairbanks, but it would be a good one to try if you want to find all the stations in your area, since it's very fast and efficient.
Radio-Locator

This search came back with 10 US cities named "Little Rock"
http://radio-locator.com/cgi-bin/loc...k&x=0&y=0&sid=

Last edited by RayinAK; 02-23-2013 at 01:26 PM..

Old 02-28-2013, 10:05 PM

15,247 posts, read 14,478,418 times
WBZ in Boston still has some talk but it's only after 8pm. During the day it's all news.

Weekend nights it's horrible advertising, over and over and over and over. Some kind of vitamins, so boring that I can't even remember what it is. But I guess that's how they can (almost) afford to have live programming during the week.

On the week nights they have someone from 8-12 but they lost their overnight guy so now they seem to have someone different every night. When it's good, it's very good. Local guests, interviews, people calling in and discussing all kinds of topics.

I used to love it when there was more of this. WTIC in Hartford CT had a morning guy and then they had talk all during the day.

I've never been much of a tv fan and now, of course, it's all junk so I rarely watch it at all.

Old 03-01-2013, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
WBZ in Boston still has some talk but it's only after 8pm. During the day it's all news.

Weekend nights it's horrible advertising, over and over and over and over. Some kind of vitamins, so boring that I can't even remember what it is. But I guess that's how they can (almost) afford to have live programming during the week.

On the week nights they have someone from 8-12 but they lost their overnight guy so now they seem to have someone different every night. When it's good, it's very good. Local guests, interviews, people calling in and discussing all kinds of topics.

I used to love it when there was more of this. WTIC in Hartford CT had a morning guy and then they had talk all during the day.

I've never been much of a tv fan and now, of course, it's all junk so I rarely watch it at all.
Agree with you about TV. Most of it is trash these days, specially the reality shows, and the news shows where all that is talked about is how somebody landed in prison for killing someone else, the trial, the lawyers, and so on.

Old 03-02-2013, 08:52 AM

12,411 posts, read 14,977,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
Agree with you about TV. Most of it is trash these days, specially the reality shows, and the news shows where all that is talked about is how somebody landed in prison for killing someone else, the trial, the lawyers, and so on.
This thread is about radio talk, but I agree that tv is very boring.
What's with all those prison shows? Who ever watches that? Can prisons and prisoners be all that very different from each other?

Radio talk in NY used to be on a whole variety of topics. I'm thinking now, that maybe those were the years when the Fairness Doctrine was in effect and political talk had to work a lot harder to earn their bucks.

Now, it's almost nonstop political talk, which gets SO boring. Every now and again you get solid blocks of infomercials. To me, those vitamin peddlers are a relief from politics and those huge egos.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Radio