U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Radio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2012, 01:50 AM

2,924 posts, read 2,080,046 times

Advertisements

I think radii in general is dead, am due limited audio quality more than FM but I wanted to mention that there are success stories such as 1010WINS in New York. Great AM station providing news only. I and many others used to listen to it for news updates and traffic report.
I am surprised there is no national CNN or other news organization radio providing news updates.... no talk shows and spin but headline news.

Anyways I miss 1010Wins in Florida and wish there was a local susbtitute without the typical AM gibberish of B-class political commentaries

Last edited by rebel12; 08-16-2012 at 02:01 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2012, 10:13 AM

1,291 posts, read 2,877,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel12 View Post
I think radii in general is dead, am due limited audio quality more than FM but I wanted to mention that there are success stories such as 1010WINS in New York. Great AM station providing news only. I and many others used to listen to it for news updates and traffic report.
I am surprised there is no national CNN or other news organization radio providing news updates.... no talk shows and spin but headline news.

Anyways I miss 1010Wins in Florida and wish there was a local susbtitute without the typical AM gibberish of B-class political commentaries
There is kinda a CNN national radio network. XM basically runs the audio of CNN TV- I know, not quite the same...

Old 08-17-2012, 05:12 PM

3,455 posts, read 3,848,311 times
The car was one of the last places people listened to the radio. Now with Pandora and internet radio being installed in cars it could be a real killer for an already declining industry.

Old 08-17-2012, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
The car was one of the last places people listened to the radio. Now with Pandora and internet radio being installed in cars it could be a real killer for an already declining industry.
If you're ever in new York look for 1010 wins. You can easily get addicted to concise no spin news stream. I used to stream them in Florida until they blocked the stream. It is so good.

Old 08-20-2012, 09:54 PM

28,332 posts, read 24,912,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trance750 View Post
Most AM radio stations the past decade have switched to political talk-radio
Political talk and info-commercials

Old 08-22-2012, 11:18 PM

1,293 posts, read 1,924,902 times
Sirius has it all. Worth every penny, IMHO. And NO COMMERCIALS!!! Woo HOO!!

Old 08-23-2012, 12:10 AM

15,695 posts, read 25,297,556 times
Quote:
Most AM radio stations the past decade have switched to political talk-radio
I listen to all kinds of talk shows on AM radio, and there is a little of everything. Numerous talk shows take place at night, and most aren't about politics. There are several day shows that relate to politics, but if one does not like listening to the politics of the right, there are plenty of leftwing shows, NPR and the rest.

There are very popular shows that relate to the law, some others about home repairs and construction, real state, gardening, cooking, sales, food canning, guns and shooting, and so forth. A lot of these shows are local, however.

Old 08-26-2012, 07:08 AM

407 posts, read 587,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
I listen to all kinds of talk shows on AM radio, and there is a little of everything. Numerous talk shows take place at night, and most aren't about politics. There are several day shows that relate to politics, but if one does not like listening to the politics of the right, there are plenty of leftwing shows, NPR and the rest.

There are very popular shows that relate to the law, some others about home repairs and construction, real state, gardening, cooking, sales, food canning, guns and shooting, and so forth. A lot of these shows are local, however.
On my AM dial, there is Radio Disney, an ESPN affiliate and a country station. The others are mostly politically-related talk.

Old 08-27-2012, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post

Yes, AM radio is as boring as it gets.... I wish there was a nationwide news radio createds by either CNN, CBS, Bloomberg or another big news organization.

Old 08-29-2012, 12:33 AM

15,695 posts, read 25,297,556 times
Quote:
On my AM dial, there is Radio Disney, an ESPN affiliate and a country station. The others are mostly politically-related talk.
No radio Disney in Alaska, but we do have ESPN, hourly CNN and FOX news, several local shows during the day, NPR (PBS shows), national political shows (Rush, Savage, Laura I., Hannity, and so forth), plus several music shows. But all night we have the talk shows Art Bell used to have. The local AM shows are listed below:
AK Radio Stations in Alaska
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Radio