U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Radio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2012, 12:37 AM

15,695 posts, read 25,308,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel12 View Post
Yes, AM radio is as boring as it gets.... I wish there was a nationwide news radio createds by either CNN, CBS, Bloomberg or another big news organization.
I don't find them boring. What I find boring is listening to PBS or NPR radio. Anyway, I can listen to the radio while working. I can't stand the news from CBS, CNN and even FOX. I just go to Drudge to read the news from the links he provides.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2012, 12:50 PM

2,924 posts, read 2,081,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
I don't find them boring. What I find boring is listening to PBS or NPR radio. Anyway, I can listen to the radio while working. I can't stand the news from CBS, CNN and even FOX. I just go to Drudge to read the news from the links he provides.
Well, I can't go online and read the news when I am driving.
I miss "headline news style" radio not providing much of commentary but just headlines. I don't need talking heads telling me what and how to think. I wish could get NYC's 1010WINS in Florida but they even blocked their internet feed...

Old 08-29-2012, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Well, I can't go online and read the news when I am driving.
I miss "headline news style" radio not providing much of commentary but just headlines. I don't need talking heads telling me what and how to think. I wish could get NYC's 1010WINS in Florida but they even blocked their internet feed...
What is done in Alaska by the radio networks (CBS, CNN, and the rest) is to provide about 5-10 minutes of news on the hour. Then the local news on the half hour. But NPR offers lots of time on the national news between other shows, including music.

That said, keep in mind that the networks broadcast their news on Internet radio. If you have a smartphone, or iPad, iPod, etc., you still can listen to the news as you drive. I don't have a smartphone (the service is too expensive), but those who have these devices have a lot of options.

Old 08-29-2012, 10:19 PM

Quote:
What is done in Alaska by the radio networks (CBS, CNN, and the rest) is to provide about 5-10 minutes of news on the hour. Then the local news on the half hour. But NPR offers lots of time on the national news between other shows, including music.

That said, keep in mind that the networks broadcast their news on Internet radio. If you have a smartphone, or iPad, iPod, etc., you still can listen to the news as you drive. I don't have a smartphone (the service is too expensive), but those who have these devices have a lot of options.
That's how I used to listen to 1010news in Florida. Like I said they blocked the internet feed.

Old 08-30-2012, 02:49 PM

12,411 posts, read 14,979,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
For the record, talk radio is credited with saving AM radio, which was all but dead as FM with it's superior quality had taken over for broadcasting of music.

There are a lot of good, informative talk radio hosts; but, just because you don't agree with a point of view doesn't make it "propaganda."
From Wiki:
Propaganda is a form of communication that is aimed at influencing the attitude of a community toward some cause or position.

Sure, if a program only espouses one point of view, it certainly is propaganda.

Old 08-30-2012, 09:26 PM

28,337 posts, read 24,920,120 times
^^^^ Excellent point!

Old 08-31-2012, 02:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
From Wiki:
Propaganda is a form of communication that is aimed at influencing the attitude of a community toward some cause or position.

Sure, if a program only espouses one point of view, it certainly is propaganda.
On the same token, most programs be it on TV or radio, are in fact spousing one point of view: Theirs.

For example, every news network targets a certain viewership or listenership. That's why one group watches or listen to CNN, while another to FOX. Then while one group may listen to Rush, another group listens to NPR and so forth. The writer, the host, whatever....always feeds his or her bias, but the reader or listener usually reads or listens to this person because he or she agrees with his of her views.

Old 08-31-2012, 04:34 PM

Quote:
On the same token, most programs be it on TV or radio, are in fact spousing one point of view: Theirs.

For example, every news network targets a certain viewership or listenership. That's why one group watches or listen to CNN, while another to FOX. Then while one group may listen to Rush, another group listens to NPR and so forth. The writer, the host, whatever....always feeds his or her bias, but the reader or listener usually reads or listens to this person because he or she agrees with his of her views.
Sure, everyone at that level propagandizes because they are promoting their own viewpoint. Maybe it was not made clear, but I believe that most people, when saying stations propagandize, they are not referring to people debating back and forth, their personal view, nor are they referring to advertisers pushing their product. They are, most often, referring to political bias expressed seemingly as a policy because almost all programs on that station promote only one segment of the political spectrum.

Old 08-31-2012, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
Sure, everyone at that level propagandizes because they are promoting their own viewpoint. Maybe it was not made clear, but I believe that most people, when saying stations propagandize, they are not referring to people debating back and forth, their personal view, nor are they referring to advertisers pushing their product. They are, most often, referring to political bias expressed seemingly as a policy because almost all programs on that station promote only one segment of the political spectrum.
I think this is because journalism in the US has been suffering big Internet related downturn alltogether and newspapers with TV news and radio news teams tried to win the audience back and discovered that the only thing that brings people to read or listen to them is controversy.
Look at polarization of American media, there is the left media and the right media but there seem to be no place for Walter Cronkites or "honest" journalist. Whoever can stir the pot more, whoever can create more controversy and more buzz wins.

Old 09-01-2012, 03:22 PM

Quote:
I think this is because journalism in the US has been suffering big Internet related downturn alltogether and newspapers with TV news and radio news teams tried to win the audience back and discovered that the only thing that brings people to read or listen to them is controversy.
Look at polarization of American media, there is the left media and the right media but there seem to be no place for Walter Cronkites or "honest" journalist. Whoever can stir the pot more, whoever can create more controversy and more buzz wins.
I think it's disgraceful that when the last push for an equal time amendment came up for discussion, both the left and right wing radio apparatchiks were against it. Neither side wants an open discussion of facts. That leaves us with a lot of half truths and lies, doesn't it? Much easier to manipulate the base at election time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Radio