U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Radio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-07-2012, 12:00 AM

2,715 posts, read 3,815,930 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
Talk radio stations across the nation are they providing information or simply pumping up the propaganda and causing their listeners to hate? After a three day trip recently an attempt to listen to AM radio along the way simply provided me with an earful of talkradio hosts that seem to push a good amount of hate and propaganda instead of “news” and “information”. Is this all that’s on AM radio anymore aside from some of the local country western music stations and religious broadcasts,,,,,, there’s simply isn’t any “reasonable” radio to listen to anymore and after six days on the road with a good number of stations I had to wonder if this was just me or has the world gone nuts? Even some of the religious stations broadcasting made me wonder if they were promoting the word of God or simply pushing their own propaganda and hate. Makes me wonder!
I have a gut feeling that MOST people listening to TALK RADIO are a lot smarter than the radio listeners that just listen to music. There is also a good chance that they are in a profession that allows them to listen to the radio while they are working. They probably work at a job where they are not working around groups of people. They may not have advanced degrees but they have the ability to distinguish bull***t from the truth. I would also guess that most listeners to TALK RADIO read more newspapers, books and magazines than those that get the largest part of their news from TV. I have had a little bit of experience working with truly insane people. Something to think about: Has the whole world gone nuts or is it you?

GL2
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2012, 12:39 PM

13,001 posts, read 14,329,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
I have a gut feeling that MOST people listening to TALK RADIO are a lot smarter than the radio listeners that just listen to music. There is also a good chance that they are in a profession that allows them to listen to the radio while they are working. They probably work at a job where they are not working around groups of people. They may not have advanced degrees but they have the ability to distinguish bull***t from the truth. I would also guess that most listeners to TALK RADIO read more newspapers, books and magazines than those that get the largest part of their news from TV. I have had a little bit of experience working with truly insane people. Something to think about: Has the whole world gone nuts or is it you?

GL2
And you are correct. Also, there is a good chance that most of the people listening to radio talk shows are working while listening. Not all shows are about politics. Some are about science, some about home improvements and construction, some about economics, sports, legal stuff, and so forth.

Old 10-07-2012, 03:01 PM

12,411 posts, read 9,466,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
And you are correct. Also, there is a good chance that most of the people listening to radio talk shows are working while listening. Not all shows are about politics. Some are about science, some about home improvements and construction, some about economics, sports, legal stuff, and so forth.
Well, I am glad that they are keeping abreast of things, but doesn't that say that most people who listen to talk radio have jobs that do not engage the mind?

Old 10-07-2012, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
Well, I am glad that they are keeping abreast of things, but doesn't that say that most people who listen to talk radio have jobs that do not engage the mind?
Not necessarily. For example, flying an aircraft does indeed engage one's mind, and so listening to a radio show about the sciences, or just listening to a college lecture. How about listening to an economics professor on the radio, and so forth? When your math teacher is telling you how to solve math problems, aren't you engaging your mind or are you in the mindset that watching Gerry Springer on TV engages your mind?

You can listen to radio as you walk, or as you fly an aircraft, while driving, while working, and so fort, primarily because you can't be distracted from the task at hand (you have to keep your eyes on what you are doing). You can listen to radio theatrical plays, you can listen to some of the Sunday's radio shows on science, to legal advise, and so forth. And don't forget that listening properly takes a lot of effort and preparation, and as such it can hardly be achieved unless you engage your mind.

By the way, this is not a "conservative versus liberals" thing. Liberals listen to radio likes conservatives do. It's just that since TV and print lean mostly to the left, perhaps conservatives listen to radio more.

Last edited by RayinAK; 10-07-2012 at 04:59 PM..

Old 10-07-2012, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Not necessarily. For example, flying an aircraft does indeed engage one's mind, and so listening to a radio show about the sciences, or just listening to a college lecture. How about listening to an economics professor on the radio, and so forth? When your math teacher is telling you how to solve math problems, aren't you engaging your mind or are you in the mindset that watching Gerry Springer on TV engages your mind?

You can listen to radio as you walk, or as you fly an aircraft, while driving, while working, and so fort, primarily because you can't be distracted from the task at hand (you have to keep your eyes on what you are doing). You can listen to radio theatrical plays, you can listen to some of the Sunday's radio shows on science, to legal advise, and so forth. And don't forget that listening properly takes a lot of effort and preparation, and as such it can hardly be achieved unless you engage your mind.

By the way, this is not a "conservative versus liberals" thing. Liberals listen to radio likes conservatives do. It's just that since TV and print lean mostly to the left, perhaps conservatives listen to radio more.
I don't think there are any radio programs in the New York area which are about science.

Anyway, besides that, I was trying to say that if you have a job that requires that you engage your mind you cannot be listening to the radio at work. The comments before mine were mentioning listening at work and I was responding to that.

Old 10-07-2012, 06:44 PM

Quote:
I don't think there are any radio programs in the New York area which are about science.

Anyway, besides that, I was trying to say that if you have a job that requires that you engage your mind you cannot be listening to the radio at work. The comments before mine were mentioning listening at work and I was responding to that.
I listen to this guy Sunday morning. He is a very well known professor in NY:
970 KFBX-AM Newsradio

Then this one relating to the law is broadcasted in a lot of places around the US:
http://www.handelonthelaw.com/home/tunein.aspx

And you are correct in that sometimes one decides not to or can't engage one's mind on two subjects at once, but most times we do. For example, while troubleshooting electrical problems with power ON, I can listen to the radio. However, taking my eyes off the electrical components I am testing can be quite dangerous. We use most if not all of our senses all the time.

Another example: a baseball player during a game has to keep his mind engaged on what's happening at the moment, but even so and at the same time he can chew, see, hear, feel, smell, and so forth.

Last edited by RayinAK; 10-07-2012 at 06:52 PM..

Old 10-07-2012, 07:08 PM

Quote:
I listen to this guy Sunday morning. He is a very well known professor in NY:
970 KFBX-AM Newsradio

And you are correct in that sometimes one decides not to or can't engage one's mind on two subjects at once, but most times we do. For example, while troubleshooting electrical problems with power ON, I can listen to the radio. However, taking my eyes off the electrical components I am testing can be quite dangerous. We use most if not all of our senses all the time.

Another example: a baseball player during a game has to keep his mind engaged on what's happening at the moment, but even so and at the same time he can chew, see, hear, feel, smell, and so forth.
Oh, Michio Kaku, Theoretical Physicist - has written many books and has a gift for making these lofty thoughts accessible to the layman. Yes, he's just wonderful. Isn't it mind-clearing to get off the track of regular talk radio and into these ideas which give you hope for the world?

Thank you.

He's on Sunday mornings from 9 am to 12 pm.

Whoop-d-doo! Thank you.

Old 10-07-2012, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Oh, Michio Kaku, Theoretical Physicist - has written many books and has a gift for making these lofty thoughts accessible to the layman. Yes, he's just wonderful. Isn't it mind-clearing to get off the track of regular talk radio and into these ideas which give you hope for the world?

Thank you.

He's on Sunday mornings from 9 am to 12 pm.

Whoop-d-doo! Thank you.
Yes, there are all kinds of radio talk shows for anybody to choose from. Those of us who aren't sitting in front of a screen at work, truck and other drivers, etc., have all kinds of radio choices. Also, those who are using computers at work and still can listen to radio can do so right from their computers (Internet radio). The same for those who have cell phone data plans, as they too can listen to radio on their phones. Radio is taking place 24 hours per day nationwide

Old 10-19-2012, 09:56 PM

3,111 posts, read 2,314,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post

GL2
I saw a study on this and you are correct. Talk radio listeners (and this includes conservative talk) are FAR more informed about news and current events than the general population. I suppose this should be obvious. But some people incorrectly think conservative talk listeners are stupid.

Old 10-19-2012, 10:06 PM

3,111 posts, read 2,314,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC6ZLV View Post
Most of the radio stations, especially the ones with the best coverage, are owned by large media corporations. They have everything to gain in promoting right-wing propaganda. Less government regulation got them where they are now through eliminating the amount of stations a company could own in a single market.

The country isn't overwhelmingly conservative. It is overwhelmingly moderate. However, the conservative propaganda is designed to push people's buttons and get them fired up over non-issues. For some reason people like that. Liberal talk radio doesn't work because they are boring, advertisers (large corporations) aren't going to advertise on a show that advocates things like raising the minimum wage because these companies don't ideas like that. And, well, the radio-listening demographics tells us a good portion of liberal listeners are listening to top 40/urban and Spanish radio. That leaves the white liberals who still are likely to be listening to something other than liberal talk radio.
The largest radio companies probably lean liberal. Clear Channel is owned by Bain Capital who donated heavily tp Obama in 2008 (not sure about this year with Bain co-founder Romney in the race). The #2 radio company in revenue CBS radio is known to lean left.

As someone who worked in radio for over 20 years I can tell you radio companies don't really have a political agenda..they just want to make money. Being old media it is a challenging time for them right now.

The reason most radio talk shows are conservative is simply because these shows get ratings. Liberal talk has been tried. Air America went bankrupt. Clear channel launched several liberal talk stations. They would have loved for them to be successful but they got zero ratings...in liberal cities I might add.

Liberal talk radio fails to get an audience. That's all there is to it. There is no conspiracy or agenda.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Radio