U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Radio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2012, 02:39 PM

13,215 posts, read 17,889,053 times

Advertisements

Today I just lost my favorite radio station, Project 9-6-1 in Atlanta. Clear Channel threw it away in favor of "Power 96.1, Atlanta's new hit music station."

This makes five -- FIVE! -- top-40 stations that I can hear from my house: Star 94 (94.1 FM), Power 96.1 (96.1 FM), Q100 (99.7 FM), Power 100.1 (100.1 FM) and Wild 105.7 (105.7 FM). OK, Star 94 doesn't play much hip-hop, and Wild 105.7 doesn't play any pop rock, but the differences between all the stations are negligible. I guarantee you I can hear Usher, Lady GaGa, Katy Perry, Rihanna and Carly Rae Jepsen on all five of them. On the other hand, I can't hear any rock music that's less than 20 years old on the radio in Athens or Atlanta anymore.

By the way, Q100 killed 99X in 2008, and Power 100.1 killed Bulldog 100.1 in 2009, so this isn't limited just to the active rock format. 99X was an alternative station, and Bulldog 100.1 was an all-purpose rock station. Nor is the death of Project 9-6-1 just a chance occurrence either. This makes three different rock stations in northern Georgia killed in four years, replaced by a top-40 station each time. That's a trend, and a very disturbing one at that.

After Cox Radio Athens flipped Bulldog 100.1 to Power 100.1, they said it had nothing to do with ratings, and everything to do with maximizing their ad revenue potential because top-40 stations have higher revenue ceilings than rock stations. OK, so that makes sense, until you have FIVE STATIONS WITH THE SAME ****ING FORMAT AS EACH OTHER IN THE SAME MARKET! I don't care how big the top-40 pizza is; you're only getting a slice of it, and the more such stations there are, the smaller the slices become. Clear Channel had a small pizza entirely to themselves, but they threw it away so they could get a mere slice of the large pizza. Shrewd move, guys! I bet your stomach starts grumbling within a year!

And I don't want to hear anybody complain about the quality of current rock music; people complain about the quality of current pop music too, but that doesn't stop media companies from stumbling over themselves to change half their stations to a top-40 format. At some point you just gotta tell the "15-to-34 female" demographic to pound sand and stick with the rock station even if the Arbitron ratings are in the 3's instead of the 5's or 6's, because at the rate things are going, an entire pizza is about to go to waste because the media companies don't like the size of the box its delivered in.

I refuse to believe that rock is a dying radio format, and I wish that media companies would keep their rock stations for a change, especially those that play current rock music, considering they're likely the only such station in any given market anymore. I refuse to believe that rock radio isn't economically viable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2012, 03:26 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,814 posts, read 33,128,139 times
You should move to San Antonio. Rock is king here. 2 classic rock stations and a JACK-FM that leans heavily on classic rock. I see online rants all the time from people here who want what you've got in Atlanta.

The grass is always greener...

To put it bluntly, radio programmers will use the formats that will attract the largest audiences. If those formats didn't attract an audience that advertisers want to buy, they wouldn't be on the radio there.

Old 08-30-2012, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
You should move to San Antonio. Rock is king here. 2 classic rock stations and a JACK-FM that leans heavily on classic rock. I see online rants all the time from people here who want what you've got in Atlanta.

The grass is always greener...

To put it bluntly, radio programmers will use the formats that will attract the largest audiences. If those formats didn't attract an audience that advertisers want to buy, they wouldn't be on the radio there.
Right now I'm streaming 98.9 The Rock in Kansas City. It's an active rock station with an Arbitron rating in the 5's, so any executive who'd kill it in favor of another "like, OMG!" top-40 station would deserve to go bankrupt.

Old 08-30-2012, 03:46 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,814 posts, read 33,128,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Right now I'm streaming 98.9 The Rock in Kansas City. It's an active rock station with an Arbitron rating in the 5's, so any executive who'd kill it in favor of another "like, OMG!" top-40 station would deserve to go bankrupt.
We've got Active Rock in San Antonio, too. Check out 99.5 KISS Rocks San Antonio | www.kissrocks.com

It's not a station I listen to, but I've read a rant online recently that KISS is adding more Classic Rock to the playlist. When I opened that link above, I saw they were currently playing Metallica, so this station may not be your cup of tea, either.

Old 08-30-2012, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
We've got Active Rock in San Antonio, too. Check out 99.5 KISS Rocks San Antonio | www.kissrocks.com

It's not a station I listen to, but I've read a rant online recently that KISS is adding more Classic Rock to the playlist. When I opened that link above, I saw they were currently playing Metallica, so this station may not be your cup of tea, either.
I like hard rock. Metallica is fine. Hell, if only I had a 100,000-watt transmitter...

You're in San Antonio, right? Go to the Clear Channel headquarters for me and punch somebody.

Old 08-30-2012, 10:01 PM

2,435 posts, read 2,833,638 times
I goy sick of the free radio demographics game too. I couldnt afford sirrius. Si Ive been listening to whatever I want on TuneIn Online Radio

Old 09-05-2012, 07:22 PM

16,507 posts, read 20,906,955 times
Big bucks honchos like Clear Channel, Jacor, and others are sold on this theory; "If we don't have it, you don't need it."

Yep, we have this awesome playlist with all these familiar tunes and to heck with all the other music you heard out of all your favorite artists.

Barfaroni.

I wonder what the artists and the labels think of this scenario. Here's an example:

A couple weeks ago I saw Neil Young and Crazy Horse at Red Rocks (great show!) Rewind back to FM radio around 1972 to 1975 or so. Any FM station would get around to playing:

Cowgirl In The Sand
Southern Man
Old man
The Loner
Cinnamon Girl---and God knows how many more songs from one of the most prolific rock musicians-ever!. I can't remember the last time, year, or maybe decade these songs didn't get airplay. And I can go on and on and on with dozens and dozens of other artists. Like Arlo Guthrie.

Another 60's icon with a couple dozen albums released, and like Neil Young, spent a good share of his career with Warner Brothers/Reprise. Out of all his material released over five decades the only track that's ever played these days on either a classic rock format or an oldies format is "The City Of New Orleans."

Can't big kahuna radio do better than this? Apparently not.

Long ago I discovered a better way. In my area something happened that I believe all sizable cities could benefit from--community radio. In my area (Grand Junction, Colorado) a community radio station was started with two salaried employees and lots of volunteers (bless 'em!). A dj will have his own two hour radio show and he or she gets to pick the songs, the genre, the era. And I LOVE it! And while I'm not bonkers on opera, showtunes, and the like, I'm glad they're on the radio. The station sends out fliers to local businesses letting them know who the dj's are and what their 2 hour show is about.

One of my favorites is a two hour British progressive rock show. They do get around to some Pink Floyd but you get a lot of Kraftwerk, Tangerine Dream, Van Der Graaf generator, Focus, early Jethro Tull, Marillion, and some newer prog artists like Porcupine Tree. Another great two hour show is one on Folk and Bluegrass music: John Hartford, Hot Rize, String Cheese Incident, Emmy Lou Harris, Nancy Griffith, and lots more.

About twenty years ago, courtesy of big dollar radio, I memorized the lyrics to "Sweet Home Alabama", but ya know what? I like Skynyrd! And those guys have released lots of good new rock. Does any of it get played though? Nope.

Duh. Thanks Clear Channel.

Old 09-08-2012, 05:43 AM

407 posts, read 675,871 times
Here in Dallas, we have a Hard Rock station, a classic rock station, an oldies station 2 "top 40" stations, 1 rap/hip-hop station, 3 or 4 country stations, and an alternative rock station.

Old 09-09-2012, 12:13 AM

565 posts, read 1,110,566 times
If you want to stream a couple of great rock radio stations, stream KIOT and KCRT.

Old 09-09-2012, 09:32 PM

5,802 posts, read 5,446,286 times
NO city in the USA has five top 40 stations; Atlanta now has two, which are Power 96.1 & Q100 (WWWQ), as detailed in the press release available at Radio Industry News, New Music, Music Promotion, Radio Station Song Charts | AllAccess.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Radio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or